Who will admit to liking steak sauce?

I used to use A-1 when I was a lot worse at cooking steaks. I still like the taste of it, but honestly I don't think I've had it in 9 or 10 years unless it was on some kind of burger. It might be good on a pork chop. That might be the way to roll.

A1 is killer good, but no sauce goes on a freshly cooked steak in my opinion.....unless it's messed up a lot.
A1 goes on....left over steak at breakfast, also killer good on scrambled eggs.....
Also on meat pies and other similar foods such as Sheppard's pie ect..........

Growing up I remember my dad always had A1 with his steak, me I didn't care for it but as you said Chris when I see A1 in the grocery stores it reminds me of those long ago days.

DH seldom uses it on his steaks, but we always have it in the house. I have found that so many recipes that we make will call for steak sauce, even if it is a tablespoon or two. Raichlen has a bbq sauce recipe that calls for a whole bottle of A-1. I love using it in shrimp cocktail sauce. Even have recipes for A-1's Bold, Sweet & Tangy, Thick & Hearty.

Last time I bought steak sauce it was for a steak marinade, 10 years ago.
Although it was pretty good, I never made it again.

After a long hiatus, sometimes a drop or two of steak sauce appears on my steaks. Not to change but rather to enhance any umami present, much like adding mushrooms to the dish.

The odd time I might use a little HP sauce or Worcestershire if I find a steak to be somewhat mediocre that I bought on sale . Definitely no sauce on a good dry aged or prime steak , that would be like putting mud flaps on a Cadillac.

I think questionable beef at bad restaurants ( ahem Sizzler ) drives the sales of steak sauce. A British friend loved HP but he overcooked everything.

I liked A1 when I was young. Now, if I put any sauce on a steak it's just a drop or two of Worcestershire sauce.

I was when young a sauce user, but now i use them on sandwiches to add moisture or to make a dreeing of onions and bell peppers over my sandwich heated to join the flavors together.
But on my steak very seldom, a well prepared steaks natural juice's make for a great sauce. But then i do not put anything on my Corn on the cob either, i like natural sweetness, not hide the flavor.

I had a friend that when I grilled steaks for a get together she would cover the entire steak in A1. Made me cringe every time. I will admit depending on the cut of meat primarily top sirloin i do drizzle some L&P Worcestershire over it. A1 is killer if you make your own bloody mary mix.

Will you admit to liking steak sauce? I don't mean drowning a steak in steak sauce and I don't mean every time with every steak, of course.

But if you do likey, do you have a favorite?
I used to use Lea & Perrins steak sauce but can't find it anymore. My alternative is

Heinz 57 Steak Sauce with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce​

This seems to be available in most grocery stores these days. It is quite similar to L & P.

Heinz 57 Steak Sauce with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
That's interesting. I've not looked for this at the supermarket. I see it sold online, but it's not shown on the Heinz website.

Checking comments on Amazon, most reviews are from 3-4 years ago. Most recent from earlier this month says, "Love this steak sauce, and it’s hard to find in the grocery stores!! I found it the first time, at a Walmart. After that, they hadn’t stocked it when I went back for more! I checked out 4 other local groceries that day, and no luck! I had to buy it on line!"

Maybe the items being sold online are from old stockpiles? Some prices are ridiculously high.

Back