Who will admit to liking steak sauce?

I eat steak so rarely it's not worth having even a $2 bottle of steak sauce in the house, but I've come around hard on steak sauce, ketchup, bbq dipping sauce being fine and even good. They're all serving the same purpose as soy sauce on rice, or worchestershire. They're adding acid and umami to foods that benefit.

I still don't want to put ketchup on a hot dog but I respect it.

The Peter Luger sauce needs to be kept refrigerated, so it doesn't get distribution outside the east coast. If I had to describe it, it would be somewhere between traditional steak sauce and cocktail sauce. Sounds weird, but it's surprisingly good.

Jeff
Agreed.
It's got a unique flavor and I use it with seafood too.

I only eat 2 kinds of steaks ribeyes and filet's and their ain't no steak sauce touching either. Olive oil, salt and pepper nothing else maybe a bit more salt on both when they are done. :)

One more reason to go there!
It's been 7 or 8 years since we've been to Peter Luger's, but as a steak joint, it's as good as they come. It's a little bit like a barbecue joint in that it's all business - no fancy decor and no tablecloths - just food. The recommendation is "Steak for Two" which is a thick Porterhouse that's sliced off the bone, then into strips and reassembled. So you and your partner can share the strip and the filet. I'm actually seeing the technique copied in more places these days. The thick bacon appetizer is great and creamed spinach is the de rigeuer side dish. The wine list is well put together with some very good steak wines at reasonable (for New York) prices. Oh yeah, it's cash only.

Jeff

No self-respecting Brit will eat a grilled bacon sandwich with scrammeled eggs.....without this.
Edit: However, I would never sully top quality beef with it, and I never have any type of sauce when ordering steak. I want to taste the steak, not the gloop. My 0.02p.
Mind you, about a year ago I went to a steak house and they had thick bone-marrow gravy on the side. Wow!! (I think I sent my pal @Timothy F. Lewis a book, by Richard H. Turner, with the recipe inside). Apologies for the thread drift.

Attachments

• screenshot_07.jpg
    screenshot_07.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Doing some Sunday pork steaks StL style, with them in a bath of bbq sauce after cooking.
Bought some Maull's Classic bbq sauce without reading the ingredients. Sure don't remember hot sauce as an ingredient, had to nix that plan due to Jo's aversion to anything slightly spicy. So now they're bathing in Banada's Sweet & Smoky.
The Maull's ingredient list, to me, looks steak sauce-ish. The consistency is much thinner than most though. First bottle of it I've bought in a very long time.

1621807348375.png

I just had a flashback:

For those of you keeping score, veteran character actor James Murtaugh was the "A.1. makes hamburgers taste like steakburgers" guy.

We had A.1. with a thick chuck steak tonight. I'd gotten away from it for many years but have started putting it on the table again for both nostalgic and taste reasons; I like it best when it counterbalances a bite of beef that's actually mostly fat. ;)

I haven't seen Smith and Wollensky's for a long time but enjoyed it in the past.

Will you admit to liking steak sauce? I don't mean drowning a steak in steak sauce and I don't mean every time with every steak, of course.

But if you do likey, do you have a favorite?
Chris, I will tell you who does like/use steak sauce in his recipes, Jamie Purviance. Just came across this in his "Real Grilling" cookbook.
A recipe called "New York Strip Steaks with Crushed Garlic and Tennessee Barbecue Sauce". I'm sure there are a lot of other of his recipes calling for steak sauce.

p.s. It also includes Jack Daniel's whiskey :cool:

Last edited:
Chris, I will tell you who does like/use steak sauce in his recipes, Jamie Purviance. Just came across this in his "Real Grilling" cookbook.
A recipe called "New York Strip Steaks with Crushed Garlic and Tennessee Barbecue Sauce". I'm sure there are a lot of other of his recipes calling for steak sauce.

I think a well cooked steak doesn’t need it. and wonder why anyone would use it.
Oh well

Jeff, I don't think Weber would sell very many cookbooks if all they said was just grill the steak. We do need a little variety in our lives once in awhile. Like maybe adding vinegar to our french fries occasionally? ;)

Well DH liked the idea of Jamie's recipe. His steak is marinating now and so are my shrimp in the crushed garlic and a few other things.

1622503726196.png
DH said the steak was delicious. He really liked the garlic rub and he also enjoyed the sauce.

1622504316976.png
My dinner was not grilled but sharing it here anyway. lol It is home made shrimp scampi covered in the same garlic paste as DH's steak. It was very good.

Back