What's cookin' for WSM Smoke Day 17?

I just got a Vortex for my 22.5" kettle, so I'm doing wings for sure. If the weather permits, I have a half of a prime brisket I may smoke on my 18.5" WSM. Unfortunately the forecast shows a high chance of rain Saturday - Monday. I don't have a covered cook area, so rain can really take the fun out of a long cook.
Get those wings on with the vortex, you will love it! I hope the weather works out for you to be able to do the brisket.

We are looking to enter a soccer tournament with our U14 boys for that weekend and I am thinking about doing multiple pork shoulders for the first time to take and serve the team.
No soccer tournament, so I am going to smoke a rack of St. Louis style ribs, a few beef ribs, and some smoked chicken breast with Chris's classic recipe.

Last edited:
Still doing the John Wayne birthday festivities, brisket, beer, beans, bourbon, Mettwurst, mezcal, Mac and cheese, Malbec. At least, that’s more or less the plan. We shall see how it all plays out.
Better go clean the WSM!
De “pollinated” the kettles, cleaned the “over spatter” from cleaning the ash pan on the WSM lid so, I’m pretty much squared away for smoke day!
Got some whiskey staves from a member to use as smoke medium and plenty of Kingsford competition.
Just need to get the brisket out of the freezer!

Last edited:
Picked up my baby back ribs at Costco for Smoke Day, somehow the Cryovac sprung a leak between going into my shopping cart and coming out of the car at home. I thought for a moment that I might be having to make ribs tonight, but remembered I could FoodSaver them instead. So I'm back on schedule! 🤪

My wife invited her sister and her cousin whose husband is a vegetarian, so it’s Cardogs salmon (from my mentor Jim Minion) and stuffed mushrooms and maybe grilled corn on the cob and grilled garlic bread.
I’ll be wearing my Smoke Day t-shirt from the very first one!!

Chris... Maryann visited Hottingers Family Meats and came away with Ribeyes (tonight's dinner), Tri-Tips, Butts, and Babybacks...
Not sure what will find its way into the WSM and Kettle each day. :)

Well, looks like I got everyone beat. Friday, kicks off with a 16 lb Snake River Farms Pork whole shoulder. This will be prepared on my M1 stick burner. Its too big for my Mtn. Smoker. Saturday, we will Glamping out in our driveway with the Weber Mtn. Smoker & beautiful rack of Weins Wagyu beef short rib cross. Beautiful marbled meat. Its gonna be guud & fun.
See you all then,

Smoke Day at the Lucky J ranchito will be May 31. Twenty friends and neighbors bearing appetizers, sides and beverages will converge to celebrate the official end of the ‘rona by consuming mass quantities of brisket, pulled pork and sausage.

... and a happy Memorial Weekend to all.

Jeff

I’m planning to smoke some salmon, a few racks of baby backs, and some chicken wings, just need to figure out the sequence. Weather in NY is supposed to be questionable, so have to plan it right. One friend doing a few racks of St Louis’s, and another friend is doing his first ever smoke on his 18 WSM, he is planning a jerk chicken.

I originally planned a bbq for this weekend and was gonna invite the parents and in-laws over but the weather is deciding to be terrible here. Wanted to be outside playing corn hole and hanging out with the dogs and family but lower 50s and rain have pushed our party till the following weekend. However I do think I will still smoke a pork butt for my wife and I. She has been begging for some pulled pork so I guess I should keep her happy! Gonna make homemade mac and cheese and try a new slaw recipe.

Picked up two boneless pork butts from the Co this afternoon. Planning on doing them butterflied.

Those will go on Friday night and should be in the cooler by noon Saturday. If the fire is still rocking, then maybe a batch of wings.

PS My Costco was all out of the K Pro

What are you planning to cook for WSM Smoke Day 17? I usually decide early but I don't have a clue yet.

How about you?
Baby Back Ribs here in sunny kalifornia

2UJr9lJ.jpg

a couple racks of ribs, Pork Belly Burnt Ends and smoked Mac&Cheese. Haven't decided on my beverage choice yet

Spare ribs tomorrow. Not sure of the sides yet, been eating a lot of corn on the cob from Florida. It's not bad, but ready for some local corn and tomatoes.

Picked up my baby back ribs at Costco for Smoke Day, somehow the Cryovac sprung a leak between going into my shopping cart and coming out of the car at home. I thought for a moment that I might be having to make ribs tonight, but remembered I could FoodSaver them instead. So I'm back on schedule! 🤪
I was going to fight the crowds at Costco, then I saw that Safeway was having half off. No crowds, and a cup of joe c/o the starbucks in the store.

Smoking Beef Plate Ribs for the first time on my 22. Picked up a bunch from Costco Business Center. Smoking one plate and throwing the rest in the freezer.

Attachments

• 64712F53-B208-4CCB-BBE5-E685FB00204F.jpeg
    64712F53-B208-4CCB-BBE5-E685FB00204F.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 1
  • 81DD70A2-EAF7-4F19-B847-458AD3F1131D.jpeg
    81DD70A2-EAF7-4F19-B847-458AD3F1131D.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 5D3C348D-34AD-4377-87E5-1A33B34DE7C3.jpeg
    5D3C348D-34AD-4377-87E5-1A33B34DE7C3.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 1
A market trim brisket, couple pork butts, chicken breast fajitas , pork tenderloin and a Tri-tip. That should keep me busy.

Back