Buttermilk Rotisserie Chicken brined in herbs and buttermilk

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
This is a Jamie Purviance recipe from Weber’s New American Barbecue. I haven’t tried it yet and a socially distanced backyard family cookout seemed like a good opportunity to do it.

The brine consisted of fresh herbs (oregano, thyme & rosemary), a dozen cloves of minced garlic, buttermilk, hot sauce, kosher salt and sugar.
fullsizeoutput_2ea.jpeg
Into the brining bucket for 24 hours.
IMG_3973.JPG
On the spit with drip pan potatoes.
IMG_3975.JPG
Potatoes finished early.
IMG_3976.JPG
The guests of honor are just about finished.
IMG_3977.JPG
2 wings and a thigh. DW made a fantastic salad with fresh strawberries, sweet&spicy candied pecans, feta and an emulsified honey dijon dressing. Went back for seconds of everything.
IMG_3964.JPG
Thanks for looking!

I bet there wasn't any social distancing about those drip pan taters. I really need to remember to do that next time I spin a chicken or two.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

A bit more about the flavor. I've brined a bunch of stuff over the years (including baked potatoes, thanks America's Test Kitchen), but this brine imparted flavor to the meat unlike anything I have tried in the past. Rosemary, thyme, oregano and garlic, all of it came through in the final product. It really was just about the best chicken I've ever made.

I did not think the chicken would look very appetizing most of the way through the cook. There's not a lot of sugar in the brine or oil on the bird before cooking so it was not browning. Fortunately, the taters finished early and I took the drip pan out completely and left the middle burner on low. Instant flare-ups and instant browning. After I thought it browned enough, I put the drip pan back in place to finish the cook. Purviance acknowledged this in his recipe and he calls for using an infrared burner to brown at the end if the grill is so equipped.

It was a family birthday celebration. My step-daughter's birthday was yesterday and her husband's is tomorrow. It's still weird not to be able to hug everyone. I suppose when the pandemic is over, it will feel weird for a while to actually hug people.

It's not well known, but Darrel Waltrip is a closet foodie. His recipes can be found on the Carburetor Floats podcast. ;)

The salad was killer. It was the only item that had no leftovers.

Thanks Jeff and T. The taters were great! Yukon golds. The wife had been peeling them before cooking, but this time she left a few un-peeled. If you looked really hard, you could tell if one was un-peeled. So don't waste time peeling them; we won't bother in the future. We toss them with a little olive oil to start. It's an E/W Genesis, so I leave the middle burner on low to promote the browning. Grates removed, drip pan sitting direct on the flavorizers. Don't forget to stir them every 15-20 minutes!

If you want the ultimate drip pan taters, try Roadside Chicken with a rotisserie chicken. All that basting fluid ends up in the drip pan!

Thanks Jeff and T. The taters were great! Yukon golds. The wife had been peeling them before cooking, but this time she left a few un-peeled. If you looked really hard, you could tell if one was un-peeled. So don't waste time peeling them; we won't bother in the future. We toss them with a little olive oil to start. It's an E/W Genesis, so I leave the middle burner on low to promote the browning. Grates removed, drip pan sitting direct on the flavorizers. Don't forget to stir them every 15-20 minutes!

If you want the ultimate drip pan taters, try Roadside Chicken with a rotisserie chicken. All that basting fluid ends up in the drip pan!
I made similar potatoes last night on the kettle. 4 lbs cut up, oil, spog, and onto a sheet pan and onto the kettle with a full lit chimney in an even layer across the charcoal grate. I have never do that, I have always cooked those potatoes in the oven, but they come out so good on the kettle.

I made similar potatoes last night on the kettle. 4 lbs cut up, oil, spog, and onto a sheet pan and onto the kettle with a full lit chimney in an even layer across the charcoal grate. I have never do that, I have always cooked those potatoes in the oven, but they come out so good on the kettle.
Wait until you try them under a rotisserie! Or put some on the bottom grate of your 14 with a chicken on the top grate!

Back