Union Pacific's Big Boy #4014 schedule for 2021

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I've set aside August 29th to hopefully find a good shooting spot when the big fellow rolls through my area.
Lens choice for my Pentax dslr is an 18-135mm zoom.

1623857115369.png

I saw that yesterday, I’m so envious! It won’t be anywhere near me! Enjoy that shoot Bob, I love big old iron like that!

Grew up visiting it yearly, during the Los Angeles County Fair, while it was part of Rail Giants Train Museum.

Last edited:
That is a beast

img_up_media-4014-150-cele_m.jpg

Wishing you happy hunting Bob! Looking forward to your photos

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing pics!

My wife’s Uncle worked for UP for years and retired from them although in the head office. I don’t recall exactly what he did and unfortunately he is no longer with us. He had great retirement benefits from what I recall.
I am a bit of a train nerd myself.
I grew up in Belleville NJ with the Erie Lackawanna railroad directly behind my house. I mean literally! It was the Boonton Line.

I always sat out on the roof in the summer watching the freight trains go by and interrupting the screaming parents cheering on their kids at the local little league field.

When I exited our back yard gate I was on EL property. I walked those tracks everywhere, always listening carefully for the trains. Watched one of the Spirit of 76 locomotives cruise by when I was a wee lad. I wish I had pictures of that!
I even commuted on the line for a brief period in the late 80’s into Jersey City to transfer to the Path train to NYC.
Unfortunately, EL was defunct at that time and was operated by Conrail when I was a kid. The EL’s claim to fame was the Phoebe Snow for any of you train buffs.

It is now entirely unused and nature is claiming the land back.
A bike path is being planned for most of the Line from Montclair NJ to either Hoboken or Jersey City if it gets the votes.

Here is a link to another train nut that walked the line and took lots of pictures for anyone interested.

Finally! 4041 is coming to CA. I plan to be in Roseville 07/12/24 to see this beast live.

5a7f90ee835489f1f787960a6d834994

I'll be thinking about Bob Correll when she steams in. God Speed Bob

Finally! 4041 is coming to CA. I plan to be in Roseville 07/12/24 to see this beast live.

5a7f90ee835489f1f787960a6d834994

I'll be thinking about Bob Correll when she steams in. God Speed Bob
Awesome!!

I might be there, too, Chuck, I'll let ya know! My dad grew up near the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona, PA, and had a lifelong fascination with steam locomotives. As an avid builder of HO gauge layouts (we had one that took up a third of our family room.....my mom was saintly), he built all his rolling stock from kits, paying special attention to the PRR steam locomotives. One of them has been on my fireplace mantel since he passed.

Would be fun to see this Big Boy in person!

Rich

Remember seeing steam locos running "in the wild" actually "working" when I was a kid. There was a RR line out in Addison IL area that crossed Swift Rd south of Army Trail Rd. Back then this was REALLY "the sticks". Farmland as far as you could see, and my dad and grandpa would would take me out there. Where they would forage for stuff like wild mushrooms and what have you. In the early spring there would be fields of what grandpa called radicchio. (was a wild chicory). They would go back with huge sacks of it. Entire family would then come by and get their spring supply. Grandma would make huge bowls of salads with it. And MANY loaves of crusty bread would be used in consuming those salads.
Grandpa had a friend there as well who had a large farm north of Army Trail. Also in the spring we'd go there with 2 cars, both hauling trailers and come back with IDK how many pounds of baby pigeons from his farm. So many in fact that the weight in the trunks and trailers and trailers attached to the cars made them hard to steer :D.
And then an entire Sunday was spent twisting necks, plucking feathers, and gutting little birds. My aunts, my mom, my grandma would roast them up. Delicious.
There would be many times I would see steam engines working that freight line.

That's close by where I rented an apartment from 1994 to 2006. Definitely not the sticks then, and the urban sprawl was racing westward.
In the 50s there was no I90 going out there. It was an hours long trip on US 20 from in Chicago where we all lived. And when you got out there, it was wide open spaces, farms and so on. In the mid 70s I actually ended up living out there myself right on Swift Rd. just north of Army Trail. It was a huge change from 20 years prior. I have no idea what steam locos I saw running out there. But it was pretty darn cool to see them

when this gets closer to July maybe we can plan a meetup. @ChuckO and @Rich G this is about 45 mins from @Brett-EDH and me.
I drove by the Roseville yard tonight. I had a company event in downtown Roseville. I’d be up for it since it’s so close by and possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hopefully my home will be ready for guests by then. Maybe we can do some pub burgers for dinner after the event. Or whatever is easy to grill up.

Back