Tri Tip, Three Sides and Bread (For Tomorrow)

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been planning this cook for about a week now. For starters, I picked up a couple of Prime Tri Tips at Costco this week. Got a little carried away with my sides. Did some Potatoes au Gratin in my little 2 Qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven and Garlicky Pattypan Squash. Then, kind of as a salad, I grilled a couple of avacados topped with roasted tomatoes and a few other veggies. Just a couple of quick comments. I grew up eating Pattypan Squash. My Mom cooked them all the time. I'd kind of forgotten about them as they are nowhere to be found in my area and haven't been for years. I saw a post Jim Lampe made last year with Pattypan Squash and I've been looking for them ever since. When I was in the Bay Area last week, I found a few from a local grower at Whole Foods. Can't remember who posted the grilled avacados a couple of weeks ago, but that post gave me the idea for these avacados. Lastly, a loaf of Seeded Sourdough. Tried to get this done yesterday, but the bulk fermentation would have had me baking at around 10:00 pm. Put it in fridge overnight and baked it up this morning for tonight's dinner. Sorry so wordy. I try not to make our Gallery a blog.

Stuffing for Avacados. Grape tomatoes, onion, garlic, fresh corn, jalapenos.

enhance

enhance

enhance

About 5 minutes.

enhance

Topped with more jalapenos (including seeds) and chopped Cilantro. Recipe called for this warm. Did them earlier in day and served cold.

enhance

4 Russets with skin, heavy cream, whole milk, flour, s&p, and a ton of garlic.

enhance

On for about an hour.

enhance

Tri Tip on also. Homemade rub.

enhance

Pulled lid after 30 minutes.

enhance

Getting there.

enhance

Squash.

enhance

Ready for cheese.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Sliced it up.

enhance

Plated.

enhance

This mornings Seeded Sourdough for tonight. Toasted Sesame, Poppy and Chia Seeds.

enhance

enhance

A very long day, but well worth it. The Tri Tip was delicious, can't go too far astray with Costco Prime. Sides were pretty darned good too. I ate it all. Love those Gratin potatoes too. Looking forward to the bread tonight. Thanks for looking everyone.

THIS:

enhance

Totally insane cook, Cliff. You are a one-man army!!! Can't believe all the energy you put into your cooks, posts & pix. Fantastic!

Got to say Cliff that wasn't a lot of words for the amount of cooks you did. The narrative probably saved you from getting a lot of questions.
You really put on a show of great grilling, it's all superb.

WOW!!! Cliff that plated pic tells the store for sure. You are amazing, that's one fantastic cook my friend.

Not much to add to what everyone else has said, Cliff. Wow! Super rise on that loaf of bread.

R

That looks amazing. I love Tri Tip and hate that it's not readily available around here. The only place I've found in Nashville to get it is at a couple of specialty butchers and they charge $14.99 a pound for it.

Back