Traeger would you add one to your fleet?

Reggie G

TVWBB Fan
Just curious as I am in quite a pickle. Currently I have a performer and 330 genesis that see regular use. I have been offered an opportunity to get in on a new Traeger at some killer pricing pricing I cant hardly turn down and the wife gave me the go ahead to get one. But I am struggling to justify it to myself. I have a pellet pro hopper fabbed up into an old propane cabinet style smoker that I used a lot until acquiring my performer. I have not really used it since mainly because I need to make some modifications to it and I was going to scrap the cabinet and modify an old genesis to accept the pellet hopper when I had time.

So what would you all suggest? I am getting much more confident on my performer however theres only so much room on those things. If I get the traeger it would be the larger 600 or whatever it is so that would be nice for bigger cooks of ribs and such. But I can buy lots of racks and gadgets for my performer and even resurrect my backup performer as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Please forgive me but: what is "opne" ? AND please forgive me again but why would you ask a Weber fan site which (or why) you'd buy a traeger (unless there isn't a traeger fan site then I would understand)?

Opne is a digital shortfall which I suffer from now and again!
He means one if you have not storted that uot!
Hey, it happens.

If you want the Traeger, get it, thumbs up from the wife hey, why not!? But,you have to remember is use whatever tools are available for the right project.
I just got an 18.5 WSM with the thumbs up so, as long as I feed her well, all's well!

Last edited:
Opne is a digital shortfall which I suffer from now and again!
He means one if you have not storted that uot!
Hey, it happens.

If you want the Traeger, get it, thumbs up from the wife hey, why not!? But,you have to remember is use whatever tools are available for the right project.
I just got an 18.5 WSM with the thumbs up so, as long as I feed her well, all's well!
Spot on!
I think (hope) Len forgot to add smilies to his comment. :):):)

Well I don't have one, but my daughter does. She likes it a lot because they do a lot of entertaining and it's pretty much set it and forget it. Allows her to have more time with their quests.
Food wise I have had a few cooks from it and it does quite well. You can get all different types of pellets for it so it will do anything a performer or even substitute for a wsm.
They've had it for about four years or so and it's held up very well.

Yeah typo and it won't let you edit the title

Reason I ask on a Weber site is I am big on Weber maybe not a purist but I know everything has its place so I was wondering if any Weber purist would consider having a traeger in their fleet

Despite my best efforts, my best friend is a Traeger guy because he's got three kids and wanted a smoker that he could "set and forget". He loves it and has learned to make barbecue using it that he and his family enjoys. I say always go for the "killer deal" when they tap you on the shoulder. :D

If I had one I'd use it. Maybe if the deal was right I'd go for it. My WSM just does anything I'd want the Traeger to do. If I didn't have the WSM, then maybe.

My bro-in-law has a pellet smoker, set it and forget it (for smoking). My wife says if you want a pellet smoker, go for it. Now I already have an 18 WSM(guru controlled), a charcoal weber and a gas grill so what would a pellet smoker add?. After doing some homework it seems that the pellet smoker gets smoke flavor but not as intense when using wood (strike one). The WSM with guru is pretty close to set it and forget it (strike two). A pellet smoker is not free (strike three).

As I don't see a smoker in your inventory, the Traeger would be a good addition. Keep in mind that smoke flavor from pellets are less than when using wood.

Russell

I have seen one of these traegers up close (i'm sure many of you have also)
and I am not impressed.

the thin-ness of the metal used... the (in my opinion) rinky-dink hinges and (my biggest peeve) it's a pelletcrapper.

call me any name you care too, but I am too much into the belief barbecue (or barbeque), good ol'fashion BBQ should be smoked using WOOD.
not compressed saw dust.
and I don't care how convenient this traeger smoker is.

My suggestion to Reggie is: use the dough, wife nodded ok to spend, on the new Weber Summit Charcoal KING!

and I am not impressed.

the thin-ness of the metal used... the (in my opinion) rinky-dink hinges and (my biggest peeve) it's a pelletcrapper.

call me any name you care too, but I am too much into the belief barbecue (or barbeque), good ol'fashion BBQ should be smoked using WOOD.
not compressed saw dust.

My suggestion to Reggie is: use the dough, wife nodded ok to spend, on the new Weber Summit Charcoal KING!

Well Jim I guess we should all sell our WSMs because of this.

What are charcoal briquettes made of?
Kingsford Charcoal, for example, by far the most popular brand in the US, is made up of bits of charcoal, coal, starch (as a binder), sawdust, and sodium nitrate (to make it burn better).

Hmm don't see no wood in there ether except, sawdust of course.:D:D :p

Last edited:
I looked into one briefly to add to my equipment, but seems that the company had moved manufacturing overseas and quality control went down? Not sure how true that was but decided to pass altogether.

and I am not impressed.

not compressed saw dust.

Yeah I would love a Summit but uh that's almost 4x what this traeger is going to cost me if I had that kinda cash I would be getting a new small block for my 72

As much as I don't need one maybe ill improvise and import one of the Canadian colors instead just cant decide on the Ivory or Green

I've had 2 Traegers and a Green Mountain and I'm considering a Traeger Timerline when they ever go on sale. I also have 3 Weber's I love but have never used a WSM. I do all my smoking on the Traeger. I never had interest or the patience to figure out a WSM and how to adjust for all the conditions. In Iowa the temp and wind vary so much every day and season, the thermostat model is hard to beat. There's plenty of smoke and with all the rubs, marinades, and injections people use, smoke is just part of the flavor profile AND it is cooking with real wood. ALL of the heat is from wood pellets.

It all comes down to what you want. If you love to tend to the cook more, stick with a WSM or kettle. If you want ease pellet grills are hard to beat. Fill the hopper turn it on and wait. Vacuum it out every 20 hours or so of cooking, refoil the drip pan and repeat. I love my Weber's for grilling and my Traeger for BBQ'ing.

EDIT: Also, I've never had any problems with the overseas Traegers. They're not heavy steel, but they are thick enough and powder coated well. My GMG was pretty rusty after 7 or 8 months sitting covered under a roofed patio. Something i've never seen on my Traegers or Webers. I think my Spirit and Kettle were made south of the border.

Last edited:
if I had that kinda cash I would be getting a new small block for my 72
hold on there Reggie............!
You NEVER mentioned your '72 (Chevy?)
go for the small block!!

If you want it go for it. My mantra is buy once cry once. Get good stuff.

My WSM is seasoned to the point that I set it and forget it even though it's naturally aspirated. I smoke everything thing as low as 125-150*F for sausage, jerky, or bacon, or as high as 350+*F for direct PBC-style hanging using real wood charcoal lump (Royal oak is my favorite but I settle for B and B when Wally World switched) and I add chucks of wood as desired. I don't have a controller, auger, elec motor etc that can require replacement. No chemicals, no electricity, no propane burner.

Back