1&1/2 tbs salt
2 & 1/2 tsp celery salt
2 & 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2&1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp ginger
2&1/2 tsp garlic powder
2&1/2 tsp onion powder

Try it sometime and let me know what you think.

I liked the look of your 5 spice ribs and the simplicity of the rub. Would you ever make an Asian sauce for thoes?

Last edited:
Went to Ultra foods this morning looking for baby backs. They had lots of ribs in the store, but not a rack of baby back. 0 for 2 now
but 3rd store's the charm?

Congrats to HVanorden for winning Throwdown #22: Tailgate Party with his entry for Chili Cheese Bratwursts! As the winner, Hank has the privilege of picking the next throwdown ingredient:

Baby Back Ribs!

Baby back ribs are also known as pork loin back ribs and may be smoked and/or grilled. Spareribs and country-style ribs are not valid entries for this throwdown..

a quick question, would these count ?

IMG_20141018_102449_zpsa33f900f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and any idea how to cook them ? they were on super sale so I figured Id wing it.

(sorry for the blurry picture)

My Entry:

I rubbed the ribs down with John Henry Pecan rub and sauced them with Stubbs Original. Wrapped them in butcher paper with a 2-2-1 method and cooked them at 240 on KBB with hickory chunks.

Rubbed up ribs

On the smoker

Wrapped in butcher paper.

Off the smoker

Sliced

And for no reason, a puppy.

a quick question, would these count ?

IMG_20141018_102449_zpsa33f900f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and any idea how to cook them ? they were on super sale so I figured Id wing it.

(sorry for the blurry picture)

Yes, those are in fact pork loin back ribs so they qualify for this throwdown.

Huli Huli Back Ribs

Got this idea from the Wolfepit.com and Cooks Illustrated. I've cook the CI Huli Huli chicken many of times but didn't think of applying this ribs until I saw this on WolfePit. I used CI ingredients for most of the cook. Here's what went into the sauce.

imagejpg17_zpse19fb8bc.jpg

Sauce simmering

imagejpg18_zpsa0d47b2a.jpg

Ribs brining in soy, water, garlic, and ginger.

image_zps58a521d2.jpg

On 14.5 WSM, love this thing

imagejpg5_zps860c7e91.jpg

Cont on next post

Last edited:
For me, there is nothing more synonymous with BBQ than baby back ribs. Maybe it was growing up in Chicago where there are great rib places throughout the city. Not the nuevo type restaurants that we see today, but the old school joints - Baby backs are my favorite meat to smoke and the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is the perfect tool for the job.

14971038314_0e80a059f2_c.jpg

We start with the rub - I enjoy making my own - Most store bought rubs are too salty for my tastes. I like a good kick from a rub, and love the subtle flavor of Chile de árbol which I use as the base pepper for my rib rub.

15591780575_87166858ce.jpg
14971629103_134ce6a4ae.jpg
I scored some nice slabs - both weighing in around 3.4 pounds. After trimming them up, including removing the membrane they get hit with the rub, and on to the cooker.

15405159139_b2145fec8f.jpg
15568093336_96b1606791.jpg

Next up is the sauce. I like a Kansas City type sauce - Sweet, some kick, but not too much - I like the heat to come from the rub.

15406170380_190b90ca43_c.jpg

They seem to becoming along nicely - I like to do them at 240 - Kingsford and a couple of chunks of peach wood for smoke.

15406169630_c866fea916_c.jpg

Need some sides - soaked some onions in buttermilk for 4 hours, dusted them & fried on the Weber Gaser

15406169300_aa817c29ba_c.jpg

Add some creamed spinach, some homemade rolls and a brewski, and I think we are ready to go!

Here is my entry for Throwdown # 23, Baby Back Ribs.

ANCHO-CHERRY BABY BACK RIBS

Here are the ingredients for the Ancho Cherry Sauce I'll be using on the ribs.

Heated up the sauce ingredients for about 20 minutes to soften up the Ancho Chiles.

About 30 seconds or so in the Food Processor to make a nice smooth sauce.

Got the BB's rubbed down with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub.

Got WSM settled in at 225 and put on ribs. Using Cherry Wood for this cook.

After 3 hours checked ribs and pulled for foil.

Foiled ribs after brushing with Ancho Cherry Sauce, brown sugar, more Cherry rub, flipping and coating bone side with same. Added some honey to the bone side as well and tightly wrapped each rack. Cooked in foil for one hour.

Pulled from foil, brushed with more of the Ancho Cherry sauce and put back on smoker for another 45 minutes.

Ribs were toothpick tender, very juicy and had a delicious flavor. Here is a slice shot.

Plated up and ready to eat!

Thanks for looking everyone.

Wow Cliff, glad I'm not participating, gonna be in Tahoe for the weekend. You get my vote (unless a gal throws down and she's a Giants fan)

The only reason I'm submitting my ribs is for the good luck value for the Giants, go Giants!!!

C7D87BDF-8333-40F5-A9FC-0279AE491F29_zpswctlf7ab.jpg

Cliff my friend you just nailed it! That's a course in gourmet Baby Back Ribs 101. Wish I could find some BBs here so I could just try and duplicate that cook, even close I'd be a happy camper.

Cliff, those are fantastic looking BB!:D Maybe when we are back to see the kids in Nov. Huntington Beach area we can fine some to bring home. Thats bad when you have to go to Cal. to fine BB. Keep up the great cooks!

Back