Temperature Control

Kevin C

I'm relatively new to the WSM, but I'm having a hard time with temperature control. I'm using the minion method and lit 15 kbb briquets in the chimney and I'm having a hard time keeping the temp below 250. I was aiming for 225 and I have all three bottom vents fully closed and had to close the top vent half way. Is there something I'm missing. I'm not using water in the water pan, should I start doing that? Thanks.

You do need a method to moderate temps. Either with water in the bowl OR a foil-wrapped terra cotta saucer (12-13" diameter set in the bowl--no water if you use a saucer).

Kevin;
I smoke at 275 degrees (for ribs and Boston Butts/pulled pork) and use no water in the pan. If you desire to cook at 225, you may be better served by filling the water pan with hot water.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

As an aside, it is always helpful if you let us know which smoker you are using. I have found significant differences how you manage the heat between the 14.5" and the 18.5" (as an example).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Robert,
Sorry about that. I'm using an 18.5" WSM. I foil the pan for clean up but have not put a saucer in there. Maybe I will try that next time, or try water. Just about everything I've read said don't use water, but I'm still experimenting with what I like to do. Thanks for the replies

How many cooks do you have in this 18.5 WSM? I believe they tend to run hot the first several. (Also, some sort of heatsink, be it water, terra cotta, or sand helps make things more consistent if a touch less responsive.)

Maybe I missed it skimming through here, but I don't know what you're wanting to cook at 225 or why.
My opinion is, let that puppy run what it wants to run, remove the meat when it's done, and enjoy!
That's what I do, it works for me, others might disagree.

Gotta agree with Bob's post. Cooking at 225 will not make your food taste better or more tender. My 22" WSM likes to settle in at 260-280 with empty pan which is fine for ribs, birds and butts or at least that's been my experience.

225 is fine but I've happy between there and 250 sometimes 275. The key for me to keep low temperature is to catch it on the way up. Once you go way over its a fight to keep the temp down.

The number of lit coals determines the temperature range while the the number of unlit coals determines the length of time you can run in that temperature range.

If you're running with all vents closed and the top vent half closed, I believe your WSM has major air leakage. It will get better with time, but I would suggest you look at the door and see if it's fitting snug. Also, take a look at the center section and make sure it's seated well in the charcoal bowl and that there is no gap between the center section and the lid which would indicate the WSM is significantly out of round. Don't go looking for problems, but if there are some obvious ones, you might need to tweak the door or center section a little. Also, as other's have said, 225° is pretty low. Make sure you really want to cook at that low of a temp (I wouldn't) and also check/verify your thermometer.

I agree with Jerry. It sounds as though there is an issue with leakage. I would follow his recommendtions.

Maybe I missed it skimming through here, but I don't know what you're wanting to cook at 225 or why.
My opinion is, let that puppy run what it wants to run, remove the meat when it's done, and enjoy!
That's what I do, it works for me, others might disagree.

That's what I do aswell. What ever temp my smoker settles on it's ok with me. I do minion method with water in pan. Half chimney of lit charcoal and unusually get 245-265. 1 vent open,1 closed ,1 vent half open.

If you want 225 try water in pan with same amount of charcoal. Keep smoking and you will find your method.

New WSM's run hot. Until they build up a layer of smoke and grease air will leak through the seams and heat will reflect off the cooker. Both will get better with use, you can invest in nomex gasket to seal up smoker body but many get by without it.

At what point do you close your vents? I usually start with vents fully open and watch the temp gradually rise and close vents to a quarter open at about 220 and that way it usually settles in at the 250 range. And I agree with others, mine ran hotter the first couple of months I used it.

I agree with the majority 225 is a little low and somewhat hard to keep that low with a new WSM. I let my 14.5 and 18.5 settle in where they want which is around 250-275 with the top vent open and the bottoms about half way. I've had great results with those temps.

I usually get around 240 and the more smokes/seasoned you get on the WSM the easier the temp will start being to control. That is my experience

Last edited:
I agree with the majority 225 is a little low and somewhat hard to keep that low with a new WSM. I let my 14.5 and 18.5 settle in where they want which is around 250-275 with the top vent open and the bottoms about half way. I've had great results with those temps.
Rich, do you use water n the pan?

I'm a water boy and my 18.5 is happy at 240 under average conditions. Ambient temp and wind sometimes make temp control a challenge, but keeping decent notes helps give some quantitative support to your experience.

I went away from water in the bowl because of so much I have read about just foiling. For me, I stopped with water and got a gasket set and she held perfect for me since then. my .02. I usually shoot for 240 ...ish.

I always use water. When I fire up my 18 it wants to settle at 250ish. If I shoot for 275 I have a pretty tough time keeping it around 275 and if I shoot for 225 I have a tough time keeping it down to 225. I know a lot of people don't use water but I really like using it. If my temps are ever running high I add a little water in instead of taking charcoal out or closing the vents all the way and choking out the fire. my methods are a little goofy to some but I try to keep bottom vents as open as possible and always keep the top vent 100% open all the time.

Back