Squeeze Butter

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
After watching all the Pitmasters episodes ever aired, it appears that the yellow goo in the blue bottle is a staple on the competition circuit. Despite my gross apprehension of what's in the stuff, I'd like to try some in rib cooks but it appears as if the stuff isn't available in New Jersey. My wife posited that perhaps it was something about no out-of-state toxic wastes being allowed in to contaminate what we already have here natively, but I digress. Anybody in this part of the world know where this can be found up here, or if not, where it can be ordered online?

Thanks.

It is butter. It can be had in any supermarket anywhere. Several brands out there, I use Parkay. In the butter section.

Ahem...Parkay is margarine, not butter. No butter worth its salt (or its unsalt) comes in a squeeze bottle.

"60% Vegetable Oil Spread" I suspect its use is multipurpose. One as a vehicle for the sugars, etc that are added. One to add 'some' flavor. And possibly add some 'shine' to the finished product.

Peter,
I say only listen to the ones who have tried it, not the ones with predisposed opinions.:)
I have not tried it, but would, since I've read that it holds the brown sugar on the ribs, and burns off, leaving a nice glaze.

as a child growing up , we only had margarine in our house. we put it on our mashed potatoes , biscuits , pancakes and toast. I am 63 years old now and although I actually prefer butter , I will still use margarine if that's all that's on the table. I can assure you it is not poisonous and in some applications , its actually better than butter.
(GASP!!! did he say better than butter??? oh , no he didn't !!!!) :cool:

Just noticed, our blue bottle has an expiration date of yesterday... ;)
Have been using it since January of last year, to be exact.

I've used Parkay along with Agave Nectar, Brown Sugar, and Tiger Sauce ala Trigg. The ribs come out pretty sticky but the family liked em. Especially the grandkids. I rarely do that anymore.

I'd be careful about making comp ribs at home for a meal. Comp ribs are meant for the one bite the judges take. If you ate a whole meal they'd be too over the top. YMMV

Last edited:
I tried the squeeze stuff once. I think the main reason it is used is because it is easy. I've used butter as well and prefer it even it if is just to keep my conscience clean.

Hi Dwain...

I'd be careful about making comp ribs at home for a meal. Comp ribs are meant for the one bite the judges take. If you ate a whole meal they'd be too over the top. YMMV

Boy, ain't that the truth !

Taking this month off, ie... no BBQ of any sort ! I don't know how comp teams do it. 4 in 4 weeks is enough for me, at least until next month ;)

I believe the old rib king, Johnny Trigg has been quoted as saying he wouldn't serve his competition ribs at home - there IS a difference between a bite and a meal.

FWIW,
Dale53

I believe the old rib king, Johnny Trigg has been quoted as saying he wouldn't serve his competition ribs at home - there IS a difference between a bite and a meal.

FWIW,
Dale53

having read more than a couple bbq posts, you are right. there is a distinct difference between home q and comp q. that being said, if you like it and it works, use it.

Last edited:
Margarine is made from plant oils, not from milk fat. It was invented in the 1800's, Emperor Napoleon promised to pay the one ho could come up with a cheap butter substitute for the armed forces and the lower classes.
I'm sure your squeeze butter contains several other ingredients not invented or thought of so long ago.

Since I'm not in the armed forces nor lower class, I never use it :p

I'd really like to try to produce Trigg-grade ribs to see what they're all about; it's hard for me to say whether I'd prefer one style over the other if I can't really create one of the styles. As it stands now, my rib process is considerably different--I cook loin backs, not St. Louis spares; de-membrane, use the published rubs from either SYD or Big Bob Gibson (trying the commercial rubs from Butcher on my butts today and ribs next week). I go at 225 for 3 hours, foil with brown sugar, honey and apple juice for 45 minutes, sauce/set for an hour and done.

I've tried Trigg's alleged rub (Williams Rib Tickler) and found it kinda "meh"; I've never used agave nectar nor Tiger Sauce or any kind of finishing glaze. I would really like to try doing all of that stuff, and the Squeeze Butter would add to the result. Who knows--maybe the end result would be awful for a meal, but I'd like to try it if I could! @Chris, none of the Wally-worlds in northern NJ stock the product. I've been to three with no success and called two more. Nor can I find a way to order it online from any vendor.

I tried it one time on Rib-Tips. I thought what it added was Ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again.:) If you can't find the squeeze type PK, I'm sure you will get the same results using the tub form. Maybe let it sit at room temp awhile then whisk with a fork and add it to a squeeze bottle?

Tim

Back