Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
IP is just another plug in item that takes up counter space. If you really want to know pressure cooking get one of these https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00YPOUAYS/tvwb-20 I have 3 of them because sometimes I make 2 things at once. Yeah it isn't dumbed down like an IP but you can get a lot more done in less time and better. As for slow cookers you cannot beat this https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039UU9U4/tvwb-20 I have a LeCruset version wife and I bought about 33 years ago. I also have a very old plain CI one from Wagner IIRC I would not be without those things. I threw out or gave away all our plug in type counter top cookers (bread maker, deep fryer, slow cooker, etc). If I want slow cooker type meals dutch oven goes into the oven low and slow for a few hours and I get perfect results. Nice thing is everything can do double duty. If I need another pot to help make ragu (Sunday gravy) the LeCruset can come out or for Marinara or Bolognese for that matter, my stainless steel pressure cookers can also do regular stove top duty as they also come with regular lid(s) for say cooking pasta if need be.
Want fresh bread? My KitchenAid helps my wife do it better than ANY bread maker EVER will plus she has the heavy steel french loaf pans to make the best bread you would ever dream to eat.
Deep fry? Nothing does it better than those cast iron dutch ovens! Hold heat better than any el cheapo counter top appliance.
Also having these items you have versatility, and you learn how to actually USE the type of cooking you're doing. Plus no dangerous cords all over the counter or table, and if you've never had one of those made in China devices ever malfunctioned on you like I have well...................you haven't lived until you come home to the smell of burning plastic and rubber :D

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
To each his own Larry. The IP in my opinion is not just another counter top item it's a multi task cooker that can do a lot more than you think. You list multiple items to do the same thing that one IP can do. No it can't deep fry or make bread. But that's not it's purpose. I can't agree with your opinions as you have never tried one or I assume had anything made in one.
The quality of the food is excellent and clean up is one pot and it will cook as fast as any antique pressure cooker.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I ordered an Instant Pot Friday, a steamer basket and springform pan for it yesterday, all from Amazon.
Delivery date was to be tomorrow. The IP came yesterday, and the other two items today.
I'm sure the items are so popular that they were all in stock locally.
You're going to love it Bob. That taco soup you will be making is on my list too.
Got the springform pan from Amazon also. Tonight is going to be Cincinnati Chili 4 way and tomorrow will be cheese cake and chicken noodle soup.
We've done four meals in it all with excellent results.

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
To each his own Larry. The IP in my opinion is not just another counter top item it's a multi task cooker that can do a lot more than you think. You list multiple items to do the same thing that one IP can do. No it can't deep fry or make bread. But that's not it's purpose. I can't agree with your opinions as you have never tried one or I assume had anything made in one.
The quality of the food is excellent and clean up is one pot and it will cook as fast as any antique pressure cooker.
I guess every forum has to have someone that's an expert on everything.
No. I'm not talking about you Rich. :)

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian

How many 750ml bottles of red wine does it take to remove 4 inches
of heavy snow (approximately 1400 sq ft) using 16 spatulas (spatulae)?

Bob Bass

TVWBB Guru
Larry...

Years ago we disposed of our ancient stove-top pressure cookers. Now we are getting ready to dispose of our often used but ancient crock pot.

Why.... ???

They have been replaced with an 8 qt Multi-cooker ! One of those fancy-dandy electric / electronic do-dads that sits up on the kitchen counter.

And it's one manufactured by Zavor, the same team that brought you your Fagor stove-top model.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hello to all my Arizona forum friends! Passing through your beautiful state on I-40 tonight. Clear skies, 24*F, heavens full of stars. Venus is bright in the western sky leading us home.

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Larry...

Years ago we disposed of our ancient stove-top pressure cookers. Now we are getting ready to dispose of our often used but ancient crock pot.

Why.... ???

They have been replaced with an 8 qt Multi-cooker ! One of those fancy-dandy electric / electronic do-dads that sits up on the kitchen counter.

And it's one manufactured by Zavor, the same team that brought you your Fagor stove-top model.
I know Fagor has brought them out to jump on the bandwagon so to speak. I still regardless tend to dislike plug in counter top appliances. Maybe thanks to coming home one day to the smell of burning Chineseum rubber and plastic. My brother and sister in law have an IP. She loves it. I have eaten food prepped in them as well. No different than a regular (as some call it "antique") but than with a couple good cooking vessels as I mentioned I can do everything the IP can do (true a little more skill is involved) BUT I can truly multitask (all at the same time) with what I have. So yeah while I can't just dump stuff in a pot and push a button I can still have far better control and do everything I need at top quality and without the risk of that wonderful aroma that greeted me after work one day. Admittedly not an IP or that brand product even. It was a bread machine. But it scared me enough to never trust set and forget type counter appliances again. Obviously I have a toaster and my KitchenAid Mixers, plus my food processors by Cuisinart but those are not set, forget and walk away appliances. HEck my last microwave failed in a spectacular way ith sparks fire and smoke. Again thank heavens it was not a walk away type appliance.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hello to all my Arizona forum friends! Passing through your beautiful state on I-40 tonight. Clear skies, 24*F, heavens full of stars. Venus is bright in the western sky leading us home.
Love living in AZ except my old body doesn't like the cold anymore. In the Prescott area I can drive 15 minuets from our home and be at Willow lake in the pines watching the eagles hunting for fish to feed their young ones. Exploring ancient Indian ruins are just 30 minuets away. Target shooting in the national forest 20 minuets away.
Taking a little longer drive lunch at the Grand Canyon.
Being a southern California guy this is a great place to retire.
Been here with Barb for 18 years and still haven't seen it all.

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
It seems so odd to hear the words "cold" and "AZ" in the same sentence. I still can't get beyond it being one big hot desert :D

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So it must be the elevation because I finally looked on a map and see it's not far from Phoenix. I would also imagine though while you see cold it doesn't stick around for 6 months like here

JKalchik

TVWBB Pro
So it must be the elevation because I finally looked on a map and see it's not far from Phoenix. I would also imagine though while you see cold it doesn't stick around for 6 months like here
Less than a couple of hours from Phoenix and both terrain & weather change drastically.

Good gawd, this trip was 15 years ago: http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/BOTW_2005

Note: While some of the shots do show some alcohol consumption..... that did not take place on the trail runs.

Brad Olson

TVWBB All-Star
It seems so odd to hear the words "cold" and "AZ" in the same sentence. I still can't get beyond it being one big hot desert :D
My wife and I left Flagstaff in a heavy snowstorm back in March 2018, and we were still showing signs of the sun we'd picked up at the ballparks in Phoenix just a couple of days before.;)

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
From Prescott to Phoenix it's about 110 miles. The Phoenix altitude is 1124 ft. our altitude is 5366 ft. Flagstaff is 6910 ft. There is a saying here "What do you do the day after it snows...Watch it melt" although we did have snow on the ground last year and this year that lasted about a week.

Last edited: