Hurricane Harvey

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
To all our members in the path of Harvey our thoughts and prayers are with you. I went through Hurricane Celia (cat 3) when I was stationed in Corpus Christi in 1970 I suspect that you folks are in for a worse time than we had. Check in when you can and let us know how you fared.

Thanks Lew. I'm in Houston, been through a few of these since we moved here in 1978. We won't have it too bad with the wind, but the rainfall predictions are scaring me. I will keep you posted on the Houston area.

We're a bit unsure of how hard we'll get hit in Hill Country. Forecasts are all over the lot. Looks like we'll have gusts up to 50 and as much as 12" of rain, but it won't be anything like what Pat G will get down his way. Hope you and yours stay safe, Pat.

Jeff

Thanks Lew. I'm in Houston, been through a few of these since we moved here in 1978. We won't have it too bad with the wind, but the rainfall predictions are scaring me. I will keep you posted on the Houston area.

Hats off to you Pat. Looking a Category 3 right in the face and finding time to post an update. Found Katy on the map and saw you were right there in the action. Looks like Dustin and Kemper are pretty much to the north of you. Hopefully it will be much better there. My thoughts are with all of the members living in Texas and surrounding areas. Be safe and take care.

Last edited:
Brooke and I are grilling up a couple of garlic Kilobassa sausages from Texas for dinner, and thinking of our friends in the path of Harvey.
Be safe, and check back in when you get a chance.

We're a bit unsure of how hard we'll get hit in Hill Country. Forecasts are all over the lot. Looks like we'll have gusts up to 50 and as much as 12" of rain, but it won't be anything like what Pat G will get down his way. Hope you and yours stay safe, Pat.

Jeff

I love the Hill Country!!

- - - Updated - - -

Be safe y'all!! Even if the winds aren't bad, the flooding and lightning and stuff can be!

Hope all is well with everyone in Texas. From the newspaper.... see some terrible damage in Katy.

I experienced Hugo in 1989, and that was hurricane enough for me!

Hoping for the best in eastern Texas, but reports look bleak. :(

Heartbreaking images coming out of Texas tonight, and sadly it's a long way from being over.
Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by this monstrous storm.

Heartbreaking images coming out of Texas tonight, and sadly it's a long way from being over.
Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by this monstrous storm.

Indeed. Hard to imagine what people are going through.

Any best charities to donate to for the first responders?

Our Brother in law lives in Austin. He said they've seen about 10" at his place. He said entire highways are underwater. He said East of Austin and Houston are really bad. It's epic there

Last edited:
The sun is breaking through in Hill Country this morning. Still breezy, but the rain is all but gone. The rain gauge overflowed several times over, but the local news estimates that we got 10"-12". We haven't had rain for about 2 months, so the ground was thirsty. Some of the local dry creeks ran pretty strong, but there weren't any huge issues.

The native Texas grass goes dormant and recovers quickly. On Friday afternoon, the yard was the color and consistency of shredded wheat. On Saturday morning, it was like the rough at St. Andrews -- green, lush and about 5" taller. Pretty amazing. The downside is that I have a week's worth of mowing ahead of me.

The big concern is the Gulf Coast and Houston. The water has begun to recede slightly down there, which is a good sign. But there is still a lot of moisture in the area and they could get hit again. The response from the rest of Texas has been overwhelming. Everyone is pitching in.

Jeff

They were saying 50 inches of rain in some areas there.....and it is hard to put words to the images that I have seen.
But the positive spirit of the people has got to help them.

We are doing OK right now. Water is up to the sidewalk and we can't get out of the subdivision, but we are much better off than many. I have lived here for 40 years and been through many storms, nothing like this. Harvey needs to get out of Texas. Praying for those that have been affected.

We dealt with 17" of rain back in 96 and it was bad! but OMG how do you deal with 50"?
Nothing but positive thought's for all the good folks down Texas way.

Tim

Back