Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

I remember back to my first couple grills that I rehabbed. I have learned soooo much and almost regret selling those first couple grills go, knowing there was a lot more I could and should have done to them before selling them. Never have had a complaint on any of my grills though. Just one couple having problems with a leak on the gas line. I gave them some advice on what to check and offered to drive over (about 30 miles) to look at it but didn't hear back. I got the impression they simply didn't know what they were doing. The lady told me she was a C/S rep for Weber when they picked it up...so I should have expected an issue like that. hahaha.

I hear you Bruce my last rehabs were so much nicer than the first few I did.
I also stared demonstrating to the people that bought grills from me on how to start the grill and how to shut it down. That's because a couple that bought my three burner Ducane called me the evening of the day they bought it and said they couldn't get it to lite. They were only a few miles away so I drove over to their home. As soon as I opened the tank valve all the problems went away, to say the gentleman was embarrassed would be an understatement.

Thanks Joel...much appreciated!

Great job on the rehab!!! Motivating me to pick up where I left off on mine

Well, Joel is making me realize that I need to revisit where I see the finish line with the restore I started! There will be a possible restart of my whole thought process when beginning one next time. I have several details which I now see I’ve passed over on my Maroon Genny!
And I thought it was just plain down to cooking time! No, now I have to tear down the scale, clean and install new warning signage, install the above mentioned disguise plate, probably will end up tearing the whole thing down and repainting the frame instead of being satisfied with the spot work I did last summer!
I might have to quit reading things here!
Nah, that’d be boring!
All that chatter and I forgot to THANK Joel for sending the pattern to me, thank you Joel!

I remember back to my first couple grills that I rehabbed. I have learned soooo much and almost regret selling those first couple grills go, knowing there was a lot more I could and should have done to them before selling them. Never have had a complaint on any of my grills though. Just one couple having problems with a leak on the gas line. I gave them some advice on what to check and offered to drive over (about 30 miles) to look at it but didn't hear back. I got the impression they simply didn't know what they were doing. The lady told me she was a C/S rep for Weber when they picked it up...so I should have expected an issue like that. hahaha.

I hear you Bruce my last rehabs were so much nicer than the first few I did.
I also stared demonstrating to the people that bought grills from me on how to start the grill and how to shut it down. That's because a couple that bought my three burner Ducane called me the evening of the day they bought it and said they couldn't get it to lite. They were only a few miles away so I drove over to their home. As soon as I opened the tank valve all the problems went away, to say the gentleman was embarrassed would be an understatement.

Thanks Guys!!! IT has definitely been a fun experience. Also nice that I have no timetable, just work when I can.

We had a lot of Halloween craziness around our house, but I did manage to work on the control panel this week. I ended up with several replacement control panels, however in the end it turned out that my original panel was in the best condition with the exception of the 4 holes. All it really needed was a GOOD cleaning.

Before
01.jpg

After
02.jpg

Side Before
04.jpg

Side After
03.jpg

05.jpg

I'm heading to the hardware store to see if I can get some small plugs for the holes. At the very least I can put some rivets in.

Too bad about the holes. It is am amazing what some simple green and steel wool will do to clean them up.

Too bad about the holes. It is am amazing what some simple green and steel wool will do to clean them up.

Be careful with rivets. When you cinch them down, it may shatter the surrounding porcelain.

Good point Bruce, epoxy some CZ’s in the holes then, you could name it “Sparkles”!
Three 1/4 ct. cubic zirconia would be cheap and funny but, then I was in the jewelry business! Diamond plate, fake jewels, it’s theme right?

I think the small rivet idea is good.
Looks really nice Joel.

Be careful with rivets. When you cinch them down, it may shatter the surrounding porcelain.

I found the perfect hybrid of both ideas! Ace had these tiny plastic rivets.

01.jpg

02.jpg

They look so good the only people who will know they didn't come on the grill are those reading this post

04.jpg

To finish up the control panel I printed out my new serial decal

05.jpg

After a coat of clear.
I wasn't sure about the "PART NO" field. If I do find the correct number I can always print out another.

Joel,
We all kind of run out of words other than, “Wow!” Those black plastic rivets were like they were made for your problem and the decal is so perfect. Can’t wait to see the process continue.:cool:

Hi Joe,

Great looking restoration. I have a question on the tank scale. Do you happen to have a picture of the underside of it? I’m in the process of restoring the same thing, but it was in pieces when I got it and not sure how it goes together to work properly.

Thanks

Joel, you deserve a standing ovation for your attention to detail.
Very commendable.

Wow. Even a new sticker. That's going the extra mile for sure

Joel,
We all kind of run out of words other than, “Wow!” Those black plastic rivets were like they were made for your problem and the decal is so perfect. Can’t wait to see the process continue.:cool:

The push button rivets bigger brothers were what I used for the control panel attachment.

Love the rivets what an idea.

Little late to the party but great ideas and work arounds Joel.

Haha, thank so much everyone. Like I said before, I'm just following all the paths that everyone else had already posted in their previous restorations.

Hi Joe,

Great looking restoration. I have a question on the tank scale. Do you happen to have a picture of the underside of it? I’m in the process of restoring the same thing, but it was in pieces when I got it and not sure how it goes together to work properly.

Thanks

Ron,
Here are a few picks of the scale from the top and bottom. Hope they help out.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Nothing too groundbreaking this weekend, but I did the get the hood mostly reassembled and re mounted.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

And new flavorizers from RCplaneBuyer. I couldn't justify the price of his grates, so I went with a different stainless option.

Getting pretty close to the end, but I've really been dreading all those wood slats for the whole project. I guess the time has finally come.

Back