Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Wow Joel, I've been watching this thread like it's my favorite TV show, and I couldn't be more impressed with the turn of events with the slats!

You're doing a great job, and employing patience, which I battle constantly!

Great work, I think I'm not the only person waiting to see a cook picture from your "new" grill.

Slainte!

Tim

Haha, well I'm afraid it might not make it to prime time TV, but thanks so much Tim! It's been fun documenting it along the way.

Joel,
I am with everyone else in enjoying the unfolding of your rredhead renewal. It looks like it will be a first class restore. That is a beautiful and definitely authentic job on those slats and handles. Your patient work is paying off!

I am with Tim in wanting to see the final pics and an action shot:cool:!

Thanks Jon, I'm hoping that some grilling this weekend will fit into the schedule, and I'll definitely be taking pictures!

Just a small update today as I was adding another coat of the Spar. As you can see there is some differentiation in the planks, but I like the "character" that it gives them
01.jpg

Also thought I'd post the stain that I used in case anyone was curious, Golden Oak
03.jpg

And I went for Gloss on the urethane, just personal preference
02.jpg

Joel,

Definitely looks really nice:). Golden oak is a nice stain. I still have over a dozen unstained red oak slats left from my Skyline project. That is a very possible color I will use for them, because I want something much lighter than the dark walnut "urban" look I am trying for on my Skyline slats. I want to see some grain highlighted but still have an overall much lighter color. Looks like the stain you used could be a winner.

I have a few Varathane stains (used theirs on my Skyline slats), but I have not seen their spar urethane. I have been trying McCloskey Man O War on my red oak because of it "marine" rating. I also have a good bit of Helmsman spar to use up, too. But when I need more, I will definitely check out Varathane as well.

Well I had a few set backs when I went to re-assemble the wood trays.

I re-used the original screws that were in the slats, which I had soaked in Evaporust.
01.jpg

I don't know if I posted about it before, but it does a great job of cleaning up old hardware.
02.jpg

Anyways when I went to screw them back into slats, nearly every board was loose or totally stripped out. But I was being impatient, and just decided to go with it. The when I picked up the first tray it dumped apart and all screws scattered all over the garage. I found all but 1, and decided it was time for a break. The next day I found my missing screw, and set out to fix the stripped holes.

The method I used was taught to be by my Dad when I was a kid. It only requires toothpicks, the flat cheap kind that are $.99 for a lifetime supply. You remove the screw and jam as many into the hole as you can. I elected to do this with the bracket in place so you get a tiny bit more surface area.
03.jpg

The you just break them off as flat as possible.
04.jpg

Then screw the screw back in and its like a new piece of wood.
05.jpg

Of course I had to repeat this for every slat times 2.
06.jpg

Problem number 2 came when I went to re-assemble the fold out table.
I thought I had done a good job of labeling the slats, but obviously not.
07.jpg

In hind site I should have also labeled the brackets and the orientation of everything. After about 4 tries I managed to get it sorted out.

08.jpg

Maybe these photos will help some one who is having trouble with theirs in the future.
09.jpg

Last edited:
A wise man taught me the toothpick/glue trick years ago. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've used that trick with success on a variety of repairs around the house. And you can use various sized dowels and glue to plug larger holes, e.g. for door hinges.

An old pipe organ repair man showed me that trick and a similar trick using a piece of solder in the hole, I never have solder but, always have toothpicks!
Nice work on the redhead, Joel!

A wise man taught me the toothpick/glue trick years ago. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've used that trick with success on a variety of repairs around the house.

An old pipe organ repair man showed me that trick and a similar trick using a piece of solder in the hole, I never have solder but, always have toothpicks!
Nice work on the redhead, Joel!

Thanks! Yes depending on the level of strength you need you can supplement the toothpicks. I've used epoxy and superglue in the past, but I suspect that even with my best efforts some day I 'll be refinishing these again.

And here it is all assembled!
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

I don't know if I can bring myself to move it outside. Maybe my wife will let me park it in her garage space :)

LOL. wait until after that first cook and the inside is all "seasoned" up again. Excellent job Joel.

A first class beauty for sure! Congratulations on such nice work and wonderful results. I would have a hard time ever using or parting with one that nice. It deserves tha garage space ;)!

Back