Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Excellent work Joel....oh, and the grill looks nice too! :cool:

A first class beauty for sure! Congratulations on such nice work and wonderful results. I would have a hard time ever using or parting with one that nice. It deserves tha garage space ;)!

One of the best looking redhead restorations I've seen in here.

Gentlemen, we have a winner! That really looks fabulous!

Wow, thanks so much for the kind regards everyone! As much as I wish it was perfect it's not, I just conveniently hide everything wrong in the photos :)
The next one will be perfect :D:D:D

Now, I think I’m going to have to replace the durawood with cypress to match my performer table! Projects, projects, projects! Since I’ve already got snow all over the place, it’s all got to wait until spring.

Decided the grill would need to be outside if I was actually going to grill on it.

The day I brought it home
12.jpg

The Genesis in it's new home
02.jpg

Going to need a cover
03.jpg

More pics of the control panel because I'm so proud of it
04.jpg

Try #2 at the serial decal, this time I colored the edges with a Sharpie
05.jpg

Showing off the tank scale
06.jpg

07.jpg

After getting taken to the woodshed over my grates I did order some RCPlaneBuyer ones, but this is what I have for now
08.jpg

09.jpg

What a beautiful mess!
10.jpg

Last edited:
Hahahaha, those Chix breasts look great. Enjoy that grill Joel. And you will be amazed at how much better the RCP grates are, compared to the ones on there now.

I wouldn't bother. You will just it getting in your way 95% of the time. And those things are not stainless, so they rust out and corrode very quickly.

You know, I think I need to replace the “warming rack” on my maroon Genny.

I wouldn't bother. You will just it getting in your way 95% of the time. And those things are not stainless, so they rust out and corrode very quickly.

If you really want to replace that warming rack River's Edge makes a Stainless one. It is not cheap but it will be the last one you'll buy.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00XWBDGYG/tvwb-20

Jeff

Last edited:
Yah, that hanging swivel basket is much more useful and unobtrusive. It stays out the way mostly but if the food isn't centered right, it might dump out. I have used one with baked potatoes, but the bigger potatoes were hard to keep from dumping sometimes.

Newbie here, just catching up on this inspirational (but also intimidating - realizing how much effort is needed for a perfect restoration) thread.

I'm starting my first restoration project, a run-down Genesis (not sure if it's a 1000 or Silver B). This one comes with the grey plastic side and fold-down shelf, which have been worn/melted out of shape. I am planning to replace them (and also the bottom shelf) with something done from scratch, which hopefully will look similar to the beautiful ones done here by Joel (and many others as well).

Questions:

1. Does anyone have the dimensions for the z-plates / wood pieces to create the 3 shelves? (side shelf, fold-down shelf, bottom shelf)
2. Any advice/schematics for installing these pieces? (particularly the fold-down shelf)

Thank you, don't mean to hijack the thread, let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.

Last edited:
Hi Jamie,

Welcome! You might want to start a new post in this gas grill forum and add some pictures. It sounds like you have a Silver B and are trying to add shelves like a 1000 and I am not sure that can be done. There are lots of knowledgeable people here that should know.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Welcome!!!

Yes, I agree you have a Silver B. It probably isn't the best candidate for the earlier wood shelving, but there are some things you could do if you are really determined.

I agree with the suggestion to start your own thread, and yeah we all enjoy pictures. They also help member give better recommendations. Do a little digging here and maybe look at Imgur.com regarding using a photo-sharing website which is what you will need to use to post photo like you see on this board.

Thanks!

Thank you both for the replies, I will definitely take some photos and start a new thread. :)

Welcome!!!

Yes, I agree you have a Silver B. It probably isn't the best candidate for the earlier wood shelving, but there are some things you could do if you are really determined.

I agree with the suggestion to start your own thread, and yeah we all enjoy pictures. They also help member give better recommendations. Do a little digging here and maybe look at Imgur.com regarding using a photo-sharing website which is what you will need to use to post photo like you see on this board.

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I guess I was out using my grill :) It's prime time grilling season in AZ right now - in July not so much. I'll try to get some pics to show how the various decals and such have held up since I completed my restoration. Most of the things I tried have held up, a few haven't.
More to come soon,
Joel

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I guess I was out using my grill :) It's prime time grilling season in AZ right now - in July not so much. I'll try to get some pics to show how the various decals and such have held up since I completed my restoration. Most of the things I tried have held up, a few haven't.
More to come soon,
Joel

Perfect timing! I'm getting ready to print out some of you wonderful decals. I look forward to hearing about how they hold up.

Correct me if I'm wrong. You printed the decals on matte sticker stock and the sprayed a clear coat on top? Would you share which stock and paint you used?

Thanks. This thread has been invaluable as I have been restoring my Genesis 1000 redhead.

Back