Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Nice looking garage, love the epoxy floor. I've so much crap in my garage you can't see the floor. I actually have wood stored under my 4runner I'm so tight on space..

Nice looking garage, love the epoxy floor. I've so much crap in my garage you can't see the floor. I actually have wood stored under my 4runner I'm so tight on space..

Thanks Rich! That sounds like my storage shed, which I'll not be posting pictures of :)

01.jpg

Giant Granger stainless axle tube arrived today

02.jpg

03.jpg

The assembly begins!

That's not a garage...that's a hospital operating room! Wow, beautiful job on that (and the grill so far, too!)

I would be afraid to take groceries out of my vehicle if I had that garage:D, let alone do any grill renovations... My dream level is a lot lower, just an old barn kind of building with room for "work stations" for each stage of grill renovation:o!

A small update on the warning decals. When I sprayed clear over the gloss decals, it made them appear more yellow than I would prefer. I tried it again on a set of matte, labels and it worked out much better.

I'd still recommend printing them yourself, but if anyone doesn't have the means and is interested in a set send me a PM
05.jpg

I'm very excited to see the reassembled end result. Your attention to detail is staggering, and I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Slainte,

Tim

I'm very excited to see the reassembled end result. Your attention to detail is staggering, and I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Slainte,

Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim! I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, but this forum definitely helps

Worked a little on the emblem. I tried a slightly different method than the sanding one I have seen on the forum. Forgot to take a good "before" picture.

07.jpg

Sprayed the whole emblem with hi-heat barbecue paint

08.jpg

Immediately after I took a rag and some lacquer thinner to the raised portions

09.jpg

No complaints from me!

Looks good but like it may be far more work than simply putting some sandpaper on a block and polishing down the raised areas, than bury it in high heat clear

Looks like a great option. But I think I will stick to the sand paper method. I like how it also cleans up the aluminum lettering, kettle and boarder from the oxidation and other marks.

Just like every one else, I had a messy firebox to address
01.jpg

02.jpg

As fun as using the orbital wire brush sounded, I figured I'd try the pressure washer

03.jpg

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but it did accomplish my goal of getting 20 years of old food off the sides

04.jpg

A few coats of high heat paint on the outside and it was back on the frame

05.jpg

And here is the newly cut piece of aluminum made from my paper template

06.jpg

07.jpg

Holes lined up on the first try! I still need to paint it, but was very happy with the results so far

So nice. How did you cut the aluminum. Looks stock to me. And if you are not going to flip the grill, then you probably went beyond what I would do if I was rehabbing a cook box for my personal use. Looking great so far. Put up some more photos when you are done.

So nice. How did you cut the aluminum. Looks stock to me. And if you are not going to flip the grill, then you probably went beyond what I would do if I was rehabbing a cook box for my personal use. Looking great so far. Put up some more photos when you are done.

I am curious about the cut also.

Thanks! It was a 1/16" piece of scrap aluminum, cut on a table saw with a metal cutting blade. I don't have that kind of room in my small garage, but luckily my dad lives close. I'm planning on keeping this grill for myself, and I'm the opposite as that's the only reason I cleaned the fire box.

Hmmmm, interesting. I have a cheap table saw. But, I never knew you could put a metal cutting blade on them. That option may come in handy at some point in the future.

Joel,

It is looking like a great restore in the making. :cool: Nice work on the panel shield! These do seem to be missing (or maybe were never present) on a number of grills. I know their only purpose is for style, but I still like them.

Hmmmm, interesting. I have a cheap table saw. But, I never knew you could put a metal cutting blade on them. That option may come in handy at some point in the future.

I like that idea as well. Much easier than trying to use a cut off wheel on an angle grinder. What about the lower RPM's though?

Oh, geez, I would never try to use a hand angle grinder and cutoff wheel to fashion one of those. If I tried that, I am sure it would look like a second grader did it.

Bruce, I had to do it to make a set of the z brackets to hold the durawood slats on a flip.
Needless to say, I didn't take pics and offer that as an easy hack here for everyone to laugh at. LOL

Back