Frijoles Barracho and Cornbread

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
These beans and cornbread sounded really good, especially with the weather we've been having. Here's a few pictures for both.

Soaked a pound of dry pinto beans for around 8 hours.DSC_5099 (Large).JPG

Brought the beans up to a full boil.

DSC_5106 (Large).JPG

Then dropped them down to a low simmer for 2 1/2 hours.

DSC_5111 (Large).JPG

Transferred the beans to a bowl and covered. Fried a half pound or so of bacon scraps left over from my last belly.

DSC_5113 (Large).JPG

Transferred the bacon to a plate and sweated an onion and one large jalapeno (seeds and stems included).

DSC_5117 (Large).JPG

Added chopped garlic, chili powder, ancho chili powder, Mexican Oregano, salt and cumin. Let it do it's thing for around a half minute or so.

DSC_5121 (Large).JPG

Added the cooked pintos, one can of diced tomatoes, one can of beer and some brown sugar. Brought back to a simmer and let it roll for around 15 minutes.

DSC_5124 (Large).JPG

After 15 minutes I threw in the cooked bacon and around a quarter cup of chopped cilantro.

DSC_5126 (Large).JPG

Now for the cornbread. I had ordered one of the packaged 4 packs of corn that seem to be available year round. Figured it was better than canned or frozen. To my surprise the curbside pickup asked if I wanted to substitute fresh corn and I did. Wasn't too bad. One ear was excellent and the other not excellent. Threw it on the grill for around 30 minutes, cooled, and cut kernels off the cob.

DSC_5135 (Large).JPG

Made a wet mixture of eggs, milk, jalapeno (this one fully loaded too), roasted red bell pepper and the corn. Then added this to the dry ingredients cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

DSC_5141 (Large).JPG

Poured the batter into a hot skillet.

DSC_5145 (Large).JPG

On the kettle for a half hour.

DSC_5146 (Large).JPG

All done and time to eat.

DSC_5152 (Large).JPG

DSC_5154 (Large).JPG

This meal came out really well. The beans had wonderful flavor and the spices combined nicely. The cornbread was delicious and has been one of my favorite recipes for several years. Thank you Weber. We will be having a second meal of this later in the week. Thanks for looking everyone.

Cliff,
I was Jonesen for one of your cook. I love what you can do with charcoal. That is your Santa Maria grill there isn't it?

Cliff, I would normally say that needed a protein of some sort on the plate, but in this case, I'm not so sure! I love frijoles borrachos (one of the first cookbooks I ever bought as a 22 year old bachelor was the Sunset Cooking for Two series "Mexican"......and the recipe looks very, very close to yours.....without the homemade bacon "trim"!) :) The cornbread is beautiful! A great winter plate!

R

Both look terrific, Cliff!
The only thing I might add is some fried potatoes to the bowl of beans.
As you well know, leftover pintos are awesome too!

Oh man we like frijoles! Those look great and the corn bread is solid! Nice cook on the Gabby!

Looks delicious.
Perfect meal for this time of year Cliff, warm you from the inside out....

Back