Fall Pot Roast

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We're supposed to get our first rain early morning tomorrow. Thought I'd get another wintery cook in before it comes in. I picked up a 2.7 lb. chuck roast last week and went with pot roast.

Rubbed it down with a beef rub I ordered from Hey Grill Hey and got it on the 18" WSM running at a steady 250. A nice chunk of pecan for smoke.

DSC_4728 (Large).JPG

Pulled lid after 30 minutes and flipped. Gave the other side 30 minutes. Meat was directly over the coals, no water pan.
DSC_4732 (Large).JPG

DSC_4734 (Large).JPG

DSC_4736 (Large).JPG

Placed roast in foil pan and added the braising liquid. Beef base and water, red wine and a packet of onion soup mix.

DSC_4741 (Large).JPG

Covered with HD foil and let go another hour, the entire cook at 250 smoker temp.

DSC_4742 (Large).JPG

Mixed up some vegetables that we had on hand.

DSC_4745 (Large).JPG

DSC_4748 (Large).JPG

Added the vegetables to the pan, covering the meat. Re-covered and let roll for two additional hours.

DSC_4753 (Large).JPG

Veggies cooked through and meat pulled easily with a fork.

DSC_4754 (Large).JPG

Plated it up and it was wonderful. Great beefy flavor and very tender meat.

DSC_4758 (Large).JPG

Thanks for looking everyone. Oh yeah, it started raining this morning around 5:00 am. It's a very light rain but beggars can't be choosers. We'll take it.

Outstanding!! That is a comfort meal done right! Great looking cook, Cliff! Glad to hear you are getting some rain.

Excellent cold weather meal!
Was raining sideways here this morning. Lost power for a while. Now it’s snowing!

Cliff,
This is another meal that I have bookmarked and will be using as a guide in the near future to try to recreate it. Amazing simple warm cozy meal for fall weather!

Perfect meal for a cool, rainy day, Cliff! My wife doesn't like pot roast, so I've actually never made one.....I think I need to do it anyway, and just eat the leftovers all week.... :)

R

Cliff, that's a perfect winter Sunday supper...but no carrots for me, please.

And yes, I do wear glasses...why do you ask? ;)

Back