Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew! Some of these conversations are not much fun. Perhaps we should all step back and understand we are in uncharted territory and none of us has THE answer. Both sides are passionate.

Earlier Chris shut a conversation I started. He was right. If so many have to huff and puff, I suggest an end to this too. I say that because this place should be a refuge from the media and political onslaught.

I agree, and a big Thanks to Chris for keeping the lights on in this time of uncertainty.

Tim

Frankly, I'm not believing anything I read or hear from any "authorities" other than Rex Morgan, M.D.

Try this one - my worker pulls this site up (in Spanish) a few times per week where I see it. His mom, sister, & a lot of their family live in Spain. It's been bad over there for ~3 weeks, and we're not far behind. The pages look different - I don't see the "muertos" listed like one page he tracks.

I'm afraid of what we're going to see from India. Hoping for a quick cure.........seeing some promising vaccines but I get the feeling we're going to be hit hard. We've almost suffered 3x the losses from 9/11.

To those who say "it's just a flu" or we lose more to the flu, I don't remember "a bad flu season" making anything > a casual news item, certainly not > 1000s per day.

Last edited:
To those who say "it's just a flu" or we lose more to the flu, I don't remember "a bad flu season" making anything > a casual news item, certainly not > 1000s per day.
Seasonal flu does not grow exponentially and usually does not overwhelm hospitals. It can sometimes stress hospitals during peak flu season...but I've never heard of refrigerated trailers parked out back. :cry:

My brother in law, is a 73 year old retired trucker, he was called by FEMA to haul medical supplies from Michigan to Alabama, flu does not do that either.
He had to decline the request, even though they told him they would take care of all the insurance and re establishing his licensing etc. he has his hands full taking care of his wife, now hospitalized with pneumonia and other troubles, she will be going to a rehab facility for a couple of weeks as soon as they can find her a bed.
I pray for all who are suffering from this disaster as well as all the caregivers!
Be kind to one another, courtesy can fall in as short supply as TP in times of stress like this.

Here in my Massachusetts we have been on "Stay at Home Orders" since March 23rd and luckily where I work in Auto Parts sales I am deemed an essential worker so my work is still open as we supply the City and State.
My hours have been cut from 45 to 32 hours a week.

My Wife does at Home Daycare and she is deemed non-essential but liquor stores and grounds keeping is "essential" and continue to remain open.

I guess keeping you lawn clean and tidy and the ability to remain hammered take priority over childcare.

The amount of people going out needlessly continue to amaze me on a daily basis as not many are taking this seriously. I had to go in a Lowes the other day as I needed disinfectant so I placed an online order for pick up so as to get in-and-out as quickly as possible and not be around the general public.

I was in shock as I pulled up and saw a full parking lot and walked up to the pick up counter and they did not have my item ready. I had to wait 25 minutes in line with the people returning things. The store did not have employees in gloves or masks, no 6 foot rules were labeled or enforced, and the store had well over 125 people in it. Needless to say I was pissed.

To those that say it is only a flu...
Just last week this was set up in my City about a mile from where I work, taking over the Fitchburg University/Civic Center parking lot with a temporary Morgue.

The next two week are going to be bad. Everyone stay Safe and stay at your Home with loved ones.

Jeff

Stopped at Farm and Fleet yesterday. Fighting allergies and sinus infection. Waiting to check out and made a little "cough" some guy turns around and glared at me for like 2 minutes. Honestly scared me.
I’ve noticed people appear to be either cordial or hostile. There doesn’t appear to be a gray area.

Yeah seems to be the case here on this forum as well. Is this serious? Yes never denied that. Am I a bit "cynical" with how it's being handled and reported? Yeah you bet! Doesn't mean I don't respect and take precautions! I have legitimate issues with how this is being handled and how it's reported. Doesn't make me a bad guy or stupid or that my brain is damaged.

Here in my Massachusetts we have been on "Stay at Home Orders" since March 23rd and luckily where I work in Auto Parts sales I am deemed an essential worker so my work is still open as we supply the City and State.
My hours have been cut from 45 to 32 hours a week.

My Wife does at Home Daycare and she is deemed non-essential but liquor stores and grounds keeping is "essential" and continue to remain open.

I guess keeping you lawn clean and tidy and the ability to remain hammered take priority over childcare.

The amount of people going out needlessly continue to amaze me on a daily basis as not many are taking this seriously. I had to go in a Lowes the other day as I needed disinfectant so I placed an online order for pick up so as to get in-and-out as quickly as possible and not be around the general public.

I was in shock as I pulled up and saw a full parking lot and walked up to the pick up counter and they did not have my item ready. I had to wait 25 minutes in line with the people returning things. The store did not have employees in gloves or masks, no 6 foot rules were labeled or enforced, and the store had well over 125 people in it. Needless to say I was pissed.

I just posted similar in another forum about MA's definition of Essential. My lawn care guy showed up yesterday and fertilized, at the moment there is a tree guy chipping up a tree that's been down for months. I don't know anyone that is not working, granted some are working from home, but only a few. Across the street the wife works for a lawyer, only goes in 2 days a week, husband works at an auto parts distributor, he's working, the kids and my son are all in the jet engine repair business, all 3 are working. No wonder the numbers keep going up.

Been staying at home for the last 3 weeks, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Well.... if your job keeps you away from close proximity to other people, why NOT do it? Yeah, I know.... it's easier if the gummint just says "everybody stay home." Transmission is via a respiratory inhalation/exhalation particles primarily, along with pickup of said particles after deposition on a surface. Understand that, prevent transmission, and you're (okay, all of us,) will be ahead of the game.

And just for the record, IMO, the classification of "critical" and "essential" positions is a complete farce. If you're not keeping people alive and/or keeping them safe, you're not critical/essential.

Critical:

Auto/Transportation (repair/fuel)
Food (grocers/restaurants)
Medical
Utilities (power/water/phone/internet/garbage)
Financial
Police/Fire/Security

Non-essential (at the moment), or those required to stay home:
Some retail workers (not hardware stores or ?
Bartenders
Barbers / Salons

There are roofers working on some office/condos near my house, landscapers/maintenance seems to be excused. Construction of new restaurants seems to be humming along (others new restaurant projects are shut down, possibly due to financial issues).

Last edited:
Yesterday I was behind 2 women as they went into the grocery store. I waited outside while they got their carts and went through the sanitizing process, but before they were finished a 3rd woman walked past me into the entryway, walked between the 2 other women, got her cart and walked between them AGAIN on her way into the store. She didn't bother to do any kind of sanitizing.

This was my 2nd visit to this particular store since the suggestions/restrictions went into place, and both times I've noticed plenty of oblivious people not observing the 6-foot rule, having face-to-face conversations with friends they run into, etc. And the majority of them seemed to be senior citizens, too! I dunno...maybe they're taking risks because they want to be sure there's enough Social Security money for me when my time comes?

I don't know if Larry David actually coined the term but he's the first I've heard use it, so he gets credit: "covidiots". There are a lot of them out there.

The seafood markets at The Wharf in downtown DC got shut down yesterday due to being overcrowded with nobody practicing social distancing. So as a result of lax enforcement and selfish attitudes, a major source of seafood in the district is no longer available. 🙄 I expect to see more of this, as other establishments are behaving similarly. Grocery stores have taped off register areas to allow 6ft of distance, but that doesn't keep you from being elbow to elbow with a hundred other people while you navigate through the produce section.

Well.... if your job keeps you away from close proximity to other people, why NOT do it?
You're thinking too small.

True Story: My nephew's future father-in-law rode his motorcycle to work recently. Ran off the road, lacerated his liver, had a bunch of other serious injuries. Afraid he was going to die, my nephew and his fiance flew from San Francisco to North Carolina to see him in the hospital. Thankfully he did not die, but will spend quite a bit of time recovering.

He's using valuable hospital resources during a time when they're needed for Covid-19 patients. The accident caused my nephew and his fiance to take the risk of flying across the country.

Now, I don't know if his job is essential or not. If it was truly essential, like he's a power plant operator or a grocery store manager or similar, so be it.

But my point is this: Just the act of leaving your house to go to your non-essential job and work "away from close proximity to other people" is a potential risk that's unnecessary during these times.

Heck, I'm trying to stay off ladders right now. No need for me to fall and end up in an overburdened ER.

I have legitimate issues with how this is being handled and how it's reported. Doesn't make me a bad guy or stupid or that my brain is damaged.
IMO some of your issues posted here on the forum are questionable or not legitimate and need to be rebutted.

-----

Shifting gears, yesterday I posted a link to a BBC article on how countries differ in the way they track Covid-19 deaths. A Washington Post article (behind a paywall) this morning "Virus death toll in U.S. almost certainly higher than official count" says:
The fast-spreading novel coronavirus is almost certainly killing Americans who are not included in the nation’s growing death toll, according to public health experts and government officials involved in the tally.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention counts only deaths in which the presence of the coronavirus is confirmed in a laboratory test. “We know that it is an underestimation,” agency spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund said.

A widespread lack of access to testing in the early weeks of the U.S. outbreak means people with respiratory illnesses died without being counted, epidemiologists say. Even now, some people who die at home or in overburdened nursing homes are not being tested, according to funeral directors, medical examiners and nursing home representatives.

Postmortem testing by medical examiners varies widely across the country, and some officials say testing the dead is a misuse of scarce resources that could be used on the living. In addition, some people who have the virus test negative, experts say.

As a result, public health officials and government leaders lack a complete view of the pandemic’s death toll as they assess its course and scramble to respond.

Many forums are shutting down all COVID discussions because of all of the mis/dis - information being spread. Also they can't help but start leaning political when every city and state are making their own decisions. Too many 'experts' and 'models' going around.

I'll stick with 'Respect but don't fear this monster.'

Many forums are shutting down all COVID discussions because of all of the mis/dis - information being spread.

I consider myself blessed to have found and to be a part of this forum. I'm certainly imperfect but this forum maintains a very high level of integrity and respect. Encouraging the use of real names is certainly a contributing factor; anonymity can be a destructive force. The excellent communication skills of Chris and his keen understanding of human nature and emotional intelligence is also a huge factor. And we members in general who find ourselves attracted to this site can take some pride in the success that is enjoyed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back