Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you use the sealed bags from the machine as seal a meal? I.E. take the stew frozen in the bag and put it in simmering water to warm, than once warmed into a serving vessel?
Yes, that's what I do with my frozen barbecue that I've sealed using my FoodSaver. Bring a pot of water to a boil, turn off the heat, drop the sealed bag into the water, and let warm through.

That's how we heat ours also, makes it so easy. Also we buy the rolls of sealer bag instead of the premade that way you can make any size you need, a little more work but a lot cheaper too.

Yes, that's what I do with my frozen barbecue that I've sealed using my FoodSaver. Bring a pot of water to a boil, turn off the heat, drop the sealed bag into the water, and let warm through.

Can't believe I'd never done it before, but I found a very small tenderloin roast (~1lb) in the back of the freezer last week. Thawed, seasoned and put it in sous vide, then seared over KBB and some oak to finish. We didn't eat the whole thing, so I put it back into a Foodsaver bag. Two nights later, I threw it back into the SV to reheat to a perfect (for us) 131 degrees. Turned out perfectly. I'll be doing that more often with leftovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good quality vacuum seal bags shouldn't have any problems going from freezer straight to boiling water. You do want to ensure that you have a good seal, make sure the bag is clean, especially from fats, where the sealer strip will be, when you vacuum pack your product.

I do chili, Cincinnati chili (a VERY different dish!) and spaghetti sauce all the time this way. 2 big advantages, 1 is portion control and the 2nd is that I can have it on the table in about 30 minutes from a cold start (pun intended.) I haven't done brisket or pulled pork like this, I generally don't really have enough leftovers.

Brad Olson said: Starting tomorrow in WI only essential businesses will be allowed to operate, but as of yet "essential" hasn't been defined.

But knowing this state, liquor stores will qualify.🍻

Hooray!;)

Before all this whoohangCVdisastercrap, Schweppes diet tonic water (THE BEST) was tough enough to find at a buck a bottle.
Now, you can't find it at all! Same with my Miller High Life Light in bottles... cans, ok. No problemo, but the good clean bottles, gone.
It's a mystery similar to the toilet paper craze.

That's how we heat ours also, makes it so easy. Also we buy the rolls of sealer bag instead of the premade that way you can make any size you need, a little more work but a lot cheaper too.
Yes we have the rolls as well. I just was wondering that since it uses heat to seal the bag if the heat of the water would unseal it. Good to know it doesn't

Rich, I've been buying vacuum bags at Webstaurantstore.com Yes, I do have some rolls, but the pint & quart bags are cheap enough (AND good quality,) that I tend to use them as first choice.

I'm going to call this response "Good News/Bad News".
Good news first.
A customer of ours in Salisbury, an independent auto parts store, donated their entire stock of face masks to the local EMT's!
Our district manager saw it on the news and sent him an email, CC higher ups in our company, thanking him for this selfless act!
Bad news.
The county just northeast of us is going on a "stay at home" mandate as of today.
It's gonna get bad out there. Be careful and stay the heck away from people as much as you can!

I had appointments with my Cardiologist, Dentist, and Optimologist all scheduled for April. Rescheduled them for late June and July for their protection and mine. I also had travel plans for May, pushed back to the fall while Delta is waving fees. We are pretty much hunkered down at home. Going out to the store is quicker than normal due to almost no traffic.

The virus is a problem, but take what the media says with a grain of salt, because they have a product to sell, and like any good salesman, some hype will come with the sales pitch.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here by any means, but I accidentally saw this interview today, and it sums up what I was trying to say. The interview is two weeks old, but the message is still relevant.

<Video deleted>

Note from Moderator: I've watched this Dr. Drew video several times. It supports Rusty's contention that the media sometimes overhypes stories like the coronavirus and that we should listen closely to the CDC, Dr. Anthony Fauci, etc. more so than media figures. However, it was broadcast on February 3, 2020 -- over 7 weeks ago -- and contains information that has been eclipsed by actual events and therefore contains many inaccuracies. It also includes opinions that, to the best of my understanding, are inconsistent with accurate information from the CDC, Dr. Fauci, etc. And at one point, Drew blasts the media using a politically-charged term that I would not allow in forum discussion per our rules. I don't like to delete forum content, I don't do it lightly or without a lot of thought, but for these reasons I've decided to delete the link to this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what's really noticeable right now? The empty skies. I live in an area that is a major flight path for planes traveling from Seattle/Portland to SF/LA, etc. How many planes have I seen flying overhead while sitting out here on our deck since the stay at home orders were put in place for CA and OR? Nada.

It's like the way the skies were right after 9/11. I know this is temporary and things will likely improve by summer with warmer temps and so on, but it's still kind of spooky.
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back