Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beauty of this country is part due to the diversity of the landscape, the people and their lifestyles. Living in a county of 100,000's of people we have now accelerated up to 8 virus cases. As I have traveled the county (for my businesses) I wonder what is our future? We were commanded to close restaurants with an 8 hour notice. These restaurants, some which order food once a week, were prepped for the busy weekend only to have their doors shut.

What happens to all that food. The people who prepped it. The people who cook it. The people who serve it. The people who wash the dishes.

What is good for NY, Seattle and Ca may not be best for EVERY community. Unfortunately some people like exercising power and garnering news coverage. I'm not against slowing this virus. It will save stress on hospitals and save lives. Some common sense will help as we are challenged.

I can only imagine how long it will take to replace the small businesses closed and jobs lost.

Peace

Jeff, that is just the diversion I needed this morning. Wife is just getting over a cold, nothing serious, consequently neither of us have gotten very much sleep. I’m very tired of the constant doom and gloom from the media.

It's getting crazy, some of the managers at Safeway where Barb works are working 16 hours a day and haven't had a day off in the last ten days.
Some of the clerks, bakery workers and deli staff are working 12 hour shifts, fortunately it's on a volunteer basis. Barb has gone from about 16 hours a week to 32 now.
They were told that soon national guard folks will be coming up from Phoenix with trucks of supplies to restock the store.
The only upside is that all the non management employees got a $2.00 an hour raise. Safeway and Albertsons can't afford to lose any more employees although none have left Barbs store....so far.

Directly from Costco's FB page, posted 1 hour ago:

Beginning March 24 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., Costco will temporarily implement special operating hours for members who are 60 and older. The pharmacy will also be open during this hour; however the food court will maintain its normal operating schedule. These hours apply to all locations except the Business Centers, which will remain open during regular hours.

According to Wayne our neighborhood fire manager guy & emergency rescue team the top things that are selling in Durango are:
#1 Guns (like always)
#2 Of course you have to have some lead to put through the barrel of those guns.
#3 High octane hard alcohol/ beer doesn't cut it with the Zombies heading our way.
#4 Most important good old Colorado legal marijuana.
As far as food there is plenty of that still. We went to the small market over in Ignacio yesterday & all the meat that you could want was there, there were no eggs, bread & very little canned goods. And completely out of ribs (beef or pork), but they did have a few hams in stock.
Then went to the specialty meat market here on the edge of Durango & there was all the meat that you could want. Of course they have their own small slaughter house which is very rare in this day & age. But, we are glad its there. So that we dont have to rely on the main stream meat stores.
All in all its pretty good here in Southwest Colorado. Going up to my Dads to cook hamburgers Sunday on his Traeger. He's 87, more worried about him that we are ourselves. But he has been staying away from people the last week. As we know tough times make tough people.
Take care everyone!

Just to clarify, mass media is saying many more are dying in Italy due to the virus - which is true, but according to additional reports, many of these deaths are from older folks with underlying problems caused by smoking & such.

The virus is a problem, but take what the media says with a grain of salt, because they have a product to sell, and like any good salesman, some hype will come with the sales pitch.

Just to clarify, mass media is saying many more are dying in Italy due to the virus - which is true, but according to additional reports, many of these deaths are from older folks with underlying problems caused by smoking & such.

The virus is a problem, but take what the media says with a grain of salt, because they have a product to sell, and like any good salesman, some hype will come with the sales pitch.
I'm afraid this is a story that hypes itself. It doesn't need false hype.

What's the biggest underlying medical condition in America? Obesity. As bad as smoking, the experts say. Not pointing fingers, I have to look in the mirror each day. I don't feel like the media I'm watching and reading are sensationalizing what's happening in Italy. It's brutal and scary and it's hard to watch and easy to blame the messenger for bringing bad news. 349 deaths on Monday. 345 deaths on Tuesday. 475 deaths on Wednesday. 427 deaths on Thursday. 627 deaths on Friday. 793 deaths on Saturday. And the medical professionals fear we're on the same trajectory as Italy unless we successfully flatten the curve of infections.

Someone said something really smart earlier in this thread, which is to pay close attention to what the medical professionals are saying. And the ones I'm seeing interviewed on television and in print are beginning to freak out. In today's San Jose Mercury News, there's a report that local hospitals have gone through three year's worth of masks in just three months.
In an unprecedented move, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has done an about-face— advising workers with diminishing supplies to reuse masks, guidance that reverses long-standing practices.

The masks— stored in paper or plastic bags, labeled by name and stored on patients’ tray tables — are taken on and off throughout the day, a process that nurses say risks contamination.

Other supplies, such as hand sanitizer, gowns, gloves and goggles, also are limited and backordered from suppliers. Most are stored under lock and key.

Last edited:
.. but take what the media says with a grain of salt, because they have a product to sell, and like any good salesman, some hype will come with the sales pitch.

I hope they are smarter than this because if it's "hype" they could be leading us to economic collapse.

We're already in economic collapse IMO. Stores look like Venezuela empty shelves, basic necessities gone, Beginning to wonder if the rapture hasn't begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back