Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest thing starting to freak me out is the run on the stores. If that settles down I'll be fine. We've been just shopping as we normally would.

We just had a 5.7 magnitude earthquake about 20 minutes ago. Worse than any I've ever been in. Lasted ~15-20 seconds, my house swayed for ~20 seconds, I dropped to the ground trying to feel if my house had stopped swaying. It sounded a little like a helicopter or mechanical, really loud.

I went to a smallish nearby store yesterday morning and the fresh meat case was already empty.
A larger local store offers delivery, so I placed an online order for mostly meat, we'll see how much of it gets delivered this evening.
I really think purchase limits need to be set on fresh meats, and it may come to that soon.

The milk and eggs were restocked but, meat case was pretty sparse today. I did pick up eggs and buttermilk so I can make some soda bread.
My freezer and refrigerator are just about as fully stocked as they can get! Time to get something out for lunch.

stressing out supply chain which will cause further issues.
Ugg. I could go on about that. I'll just say it's already stressed. I'm on that end of things. And I can't wait for normalcy. I was thinking about taking a few days off, but that's not going to happen for a while. While everyone is being told to isolate and shelter we are all hands on deck until further notice, and can't keep up.

Went to Safeway this morning at 7am paper products were all gone. The produce dept. look like normal no shortages there. The meat dept. wasn't overflowing but there was quite a bit to chose from got, a two of whole chickens for $.69 a pound. Talked to one of the butchers and he said the rush was slowing down as everyone's freezers are probably full now and they got a much bigger load of meat last night that they were prepping to get out.
The biggest problem is the distribution centers are in Phoenix which is 100 miles away and all the stores are really low on items and they don't have enough trucks and drivers to handle the increased demand. There is no shortage of goods just no way to get them delivered with all the stores needing some of everything.

Went to Neighborhood WalMart this morning, they were restocking, had a lot of meats. I bought a couple racks of spare ribs. Its getting back to normal, in that regard. But it won't be back to complete normal for a good long while.

time to practice maintaining a sourdough starter.
This is pretty easy to do. I've been doing it for a couple of years. I keep mine in the fridge and feed it every 2 weeks. When I want to make some bread, I bring it out a day or two before and start feeding it again before using it. I also don't throw away excess starter. Just use it to make scallion pancakes.

I also grow my own veggies. Still have onions/potatoes/shallots/tomatoes from last year. I wonder if we'll see a resurgence of people interested in gardening?

It's not the run on food and TP that bothers me. It's the run on other things people are doing that's scary. Crazy how logic goes out the window.

This is pretty easy to do. I've been doing it for a couple of years. I keep mine in the fridge and feed it every 2 weeks. When I want to make some bread, I bring it out a day or two before and start feeding it again before using it. I also don't throw away excess starter. Just use it to make scallion pancakes.

I also grow my own veggies. Still have onions/potatoes/shallots/tomatoes from last year. I wonder if we'll see a resurgence of people interested in gardening?

I enjoy making bread, but have always kept my efforts on the simple side, due to schedule. Being home has freed up some of those restrictions. Monday night, I did my first poolish and we had a fresh loaf made from it last night. Good stuff. I'm diving deeper into "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast" by Ken Forkish.

Probably - how do you store your potatoes? I don't think my basement is cool enough to store them during the summer.

I just got a warning from my neighborhood watch. Certain individuals are going door to door wearing hazmat gear and offering testing.
Once you open the door they strong arm and rob you.
Watch yourself.

Tim

Around here it seems like Costco is having a hard time keeping up with demand, but the normal grocery stores like Publix and Kroger get restocked after closing and have somewhat normal supply of stock the next morning.

Where Barb works at Safeway they have changed their hours from 5am to midnight to 6am to 11pm to give the night crew two extra hours to restock.

I just got a warning from my neighborhood watch. Certain individuals are going door to door wearing hazmat gear and offering testing.
Once you open the door they strong arm and rob you.
Watch yourself.

Tim

Scary - you are not the first person I've heard that from.

Where Barb works at Safeway they have changed their hours from 5am to midnight to 6am to 11pm to give the night crew two extra hours to restock.
Rich,
I do hope you and Barb aren't being too complacent about the potential danger of Barb's job given your health issues. I have mine too.
No reported cases in your area means nothing. Jo and I are hunkered down and plan to stay that way. We're even avoiding family contact. It ain't fun, but it's the only way of doing the best we can do to prevent infection.
I wouldn't have posted this if I wasn't concerned about the both of you.

Rich,
I do hope you and Barb aren't being too complacent about the potential danger of Barb's job given your health issues. I have mine too.
No reported cases in your area means nothing. Jo and I are hunkered down and plan to stay that way. We're even avoiding family contact. It ain't fun, but it's the only way of doing the best we can do to prevent infection.
I wouldn't have posted this if I wasn't concerned about the both of you.

Get her out of there. I either have it or im having a panic attack, keep her safe.

Went to Harris-Teeter today, and their meat case was completely bare except for some fake meat. The rest of the store looked picked over as well, but I did manage to get what I came after. The deli looked well stocked. I asked the attendant if the store was having supply issues, and he said trucks are not arriving at regular intervals anymore due to the panic. He also said some warehouses were being looted? I can't confirm that yet, but the news did say that truckers are being followed to their destinations just to see what kind of stock they are unloading.

This virus issue will pass in time, and become a distant memory, but I wonder if shopping habits will ever be the same again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back