Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs Dollar and I ventured out to the grocery store last night. The meat cases were empty. Huge number of people. Limits on TP and water of one item each.

People acting like this is a " bread and milk " event but this is gonna last a lot longer. People are stocking up, but that's not gonna last long. We will have to return to some kind of normalcy long before this virus threat is over.

I'm just glad I'm a barbecue person, and have the freezers stocked with meats.

Local grocery stores (Food Lion) we’re pretty much fully stocked (I didn’t get a chance to look down the paper products isle) yesterday. Just a touch of common sense will make a huge difference. Let the fear mongers destroy the stores over the weekend. Go during the week (if you have that optio, I understand some people do not.) and it’s close to business as usual. Funny thing I did see was 2 ladies (looked to be mid 70’s) were using a cart. In it were 3 cases of Pepsi, 3 cases of Cheerwine, (a locally made soft drink) and 6or 7 gallons of milk.....
Tim

This article says healthy non-immune-compromised people can recover from CV in about 3 days.

I'm sure this will come out wrong, but after seeing that, why does everyone have to social-isolate instead of just them?

I see the devastation going on around the world and all the deaths, I'm just disturbed about what's happening with the imminent slowdown, how I'll cope, my friends/family who are in the service industry who don't have good benefits, their landlords, other friends/family who are facing layoffs or reduced hours, who were already just getting by financially---------I fear evictions and repossessions. The economic threat is looming large.

This article's interactive chart shows we'll reduce total deaths by 724,000 with this intervention... 311,000 deaths instead of 1,035,000.

I think it's about here.

My understanding is that there's a long incubation period before symptoms even start to show. So a person can be running around passing it along for many days before they have any clue they are infected.

Just a passing thought, As bad as its getting it could just be the tip of the ice burg for states like CA. Why? Because, of the continued drought & fire season just around the corner whats going to happen when they have to evacuate everyone & jam them into emergency centers? Just think about that. People with the virus fleeing all over the place & one thing about fires they never stop in CA. Or say a major earthquake hits out west? On top the virus infrastructure down it could be a real *****. Best get this nasty bug wiped out & gone. Also in CA don't they shut the power down now if the wind comes up to stop the fires? What a nightmare. Hopefully spring rains come for all the west.
My dad got a call this morning from the dentist & they canceled his appt for tomorrow. Which is a good idea he is 87+.

So many sources, so many talking heads, so much conflicting information.

Honestly, in this case, if the talking head is either elected, or in the media, ignore them. The people to pay attention to are people like the CDC, WHO, Cleveland Clinc, MassGeneral, WFMC, etc.

There's a patent troll who's ended up with a couple of patents out of Theranos, who's now filing lawsuits claiming the Covid-19 tests that are being brought out infringe on said patents. Ol' Billie was right, let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.

I broke out my Wifes clothes steamer yesterday to disinfect items I brought home from shopping.

Tim

I'm a little concerned about availability of food and supplies because of folks hoarding and the potential for stores to just shut down. But I'm more concerned about what happens if Comcast can't keep our internet up and running through this. My wife is now working from home, I have three girls (one elementary school, one high school, and one college) all taking classes remotely, and I've got my work computer set up for remote access just in case. Our internet connection is vital right now.

Does Comcast provide your cell phone service as well? If not, your phones might be able to act as hot spots to give you internet access.

I don't have cable or satellite at home so my access is through Verizon.

So many sources, so many talking heads, so much conflicting information.
I'm done with all of that. What will be, will be.
I agree. Us old timers ( and I'm younger than you;)) used to walk to school backwards in the winter. No cell phones or social media to make life easier.
I ain't gonna let some damn bug kill me. Concerned yes, so I take precautions.
Tim

I'm a little concerned about availability of food and supplies because of folks hoarding and the potential for stores to just shut down. But I'm more concerned about what happens if Comcast can't keep our internet up and running through this. My wife is now working from home, I have three girls (one elementary school, one high school, and one college) all taking classes remotely, and I've got my work computer set up for remote access just in case. Our internet connection is vital right now.

Try setting your phone up as a wifi hotspot.

Looks like the grocery stores are starting to get back to normal after the initial batch of panic buying. Locally (CT & MA), Stop & Shop has cut store hours a bit and added geezer only hours. Would be interesting to walk through our Costco but I'm not allowed.

A member over on my camera forum posted this on the Covid-19 thread.
It makes so much sense:
"Basically, behave as if you already have it and do everything to protect those around you. And assume everyone you meet has it and do everything you can to avoid catching it."

Went back to Sam's today, and all the bread & eggs were gone including Clorox products. Thought I would try Ingle's, and the meat case was bare there including milk, bread, sandwich meat, and comfort food items like soup, canned spaghetti, pasta, etc., and paper products were gone too.

There's really no need for all of this. Just shop as you ordinarily would.

Kansas Governor canceled school K-12 for the remainder of the school year. Perusing our grocery store, no milk, no meat, no nothing. Not even a packet of yeast. Some of this stuff has got out of hand or stressing out supply chain which will cause further issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back