Cleaning Out Ash: A Must?

Travis_CP

Is it necessary to clean out all of the ash after every cook? Or is it okay to only clean it out when it gets full?

Once you have a layer of ash (which happens shortly after beginning any cook) the only thing that could matter is when it builds enough to impede airflow. If you expect a lot of ash production then emptying is prudent, but you don't necessarily need to do it for short cooks.

Ash can absorb moisture and, if left long enough, cause corrosion. I don't clean it after every cook but probably after every other cook if they're short and little ash was accumulated.

If you're a gardener, the tomato bed is a good place for it. Careful, though, your mators will get huge. :)

I empty out every couple of cooks or before doing a long cook. I took a one gallon Wesson Oil plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it and use it as a scoop to get most of the ash out. The left over I don't worry about. Not too moist here, so I don't think I'll have any problem with corrosion.

no offense Travis, but you do flush the toilet after using it, correct?
yeah, I know it's not the same but I believe cleanliness is next to godliness :)

I dump it out before most cooks. Moisture isn't that big a problem for me either. No need to scrub it out. The bowl is enameled. If it does get flat out wet it can hold onto moisture and cause corrosion. In my offset it absolutely will cause rust if left in.

no offense Travis, but you do flush the toilet after using it, correct?
yeah, I know it's not the same but I believe cleanliness is next to godliness :)

The question about cleaning ash really had to do with corrosion prevention. I don't clean the ash out of my chimenea or fire place every time I use it because there is no need other than to clean the build up. I admit having a clean smoker is nice to have. The responses to this post make it seem not necessary unless there is moisture that is accumulating in the bottom.

Does anyone know if water mixed with ash is especially corrosive? More so than just standing water?

Lye for lye soap is made from wood ashes and water, so yes it can be corrosive.
I keep my WSM covered and dry, and do not clean ashes out after each cook but wait until preparing for the next cook, which maybe a couple or more weeks between,

Lye for lye soap is made from wood ashes and water, so yes it can be corrosive.
I keep my WSM covered and dry, and do not clean ashes out after each cook but wait until preparing for the next cook, which maybe a couple or more weeks between,
me too. .......
:wsm:

Well,:) I only dump mine when it looks like the ashes are close to the charcoal grate. I use RO or similar lump and that can be 5-6 sessions. Even with RO briqs I do the same and mine can get wet some times and the porcelain coating still looks good as new after a quick clean.

Tim

I have a small galvanized garbage can with a lid on the patio next to the smokers. The next day or so after each cook, I use a small coal shovel and "shuffle" the remaining coals and put them in my grill. I always use new briquettes when smoking so the times are predictable.

After that, I remove the charcoal grate, pick up the base of the smoker and dump the ashes into the garbage can. It takes only a couple of minutes and keeps the smoker ready to go for the next smoke. Further, it probably will lead to a longer life for the unit and that is GOOD!

I use up all of the partially used briqs in my grills. Nothing is wasted but everything is kept clean and ready to go.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

i clean my WSM 22 as soon as possible. That said I'm going on two weeks without cleaning because I a go sick with an RSV. I will be doing it tomorrow though. Clean is always good.

Back