Big Demand for Small Turkeys This Year

Our long time tradition has been to go to Mrs Dollar's family T-Giving. Usually around 30 people there. But with almost a third of those over 80 and about half over 60, they cancelled it a month ago. Did not need a politician to tell them it was not a good thing to gather. It will be just another day for us.

My sister, niece and great niece were going to come down to surprise my mom for Thanksgiving, but with the numbers going up, they decided against it.
So, it's just going to be mom, her husband, Pammi and myself.
I'm going to get a fresh bird tomorrow and cut it in half!
Dry brine the one half for Thursday and vacuum seal the other and squeeze it in the freezer for Christmas.
Pammi had a COVID test last week for her surgery, so I'm sure that I don't have it to pass to my mom and her husband.

Many years ago I bought one of the super-cheap Thanksgiving (frozen) turkeys, realizing that it was much too big for my wife and me. So I had a store employee cut the bird in half, right down the middle (the band saw made quick work of it). We cooked one half for Thanksgiving and put the other half in the freezer.

Many years ago I bought one of the super-cheap Thanksgiving (frozen) turkeys, realizing that it was much too big for my wife and me. So I had a store employee cut the bird in half, right down the middle (the band saw made quick work of it). We cooked one half for Thanksgiving and put the other half in the freezer.
I asked our local grocery store if they could do that today.
They said that they couldn't do a frozen one.
Which is why I'm spending a little more for the fresh one.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

Just for the 2 of us, we'd do nothing more than a bone-in turkey breast, and we have a good local producer. This year, a smoked 2 bone prime rib.

Smoked a 12.5 lb pre-thanksgiving turkey today.
After four people ate sandwiches off of it there's really not much left......

I wanted just a turkey breast and I could not find any except some tiny ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_163133873.jpg
    IMG_20201122_163133873.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 3
What i will be doing makes only a bit of sense.
I will be cooking a lot. Then driving to friends places and dropping off some really nice dishes.
Then maybe i can figure out this zoom thingee and say hello. Or maybe they call me.
There will be no contact or even a note.
I am doing it more for me than any return.
Pulled pork for sure. Maybe beef ribs, prime rib (cause it is on sale), and if I was good at it turkey or chicken.

Last edited:
I suspect there will be some real bargains on large turkeys after Thanksgiving.
It's a shame my wife and I aren't big big bird eaters, a meal or two and we're good until next year.

I'm a turkey junkie, love turkey, turkey hash, turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey chili, all things turkey. We bought a 15 Lb. bird for Thanksgiving it will be just the two of us and our four legged kids.
If we gain enough room in the freezers after Thanksgiving I will take advantage of any sales on turkeys.
My son was going to bring the Brady bunch out here, his wife and 5 kids in their monster motorhome. With the flare up of covid we all decided to pass this year.

Last edited:
Cheap big turkeys huh, weather forecast for here Thursday looks ideal for outdoor cooking maybe I'll buck the trend and get more turkeys and invite more people over! Have several immediate/extended family members who've already had and gotten over the Rona, and dozens of friends the same- we could put together a good sized crowd without much risk of spreading.

Just the 2 of us too so we picked up a 7 lb breast. Calling for rain all day Thursday, think I'll put up the small gazebo and use the smoker.

My sister in laws brother, mother, and father, just tested positive, no gatherings here.

we could put together a good sized crowd without much risk of spreading.
Much is the keyword here.

Just back from Aldi, plenty of TP but didn't see any whole turkeys.
I picked up a 3 lb. boneless breast for $9. Three bucks per lb. is expensive for turkey but hopefully the two of us can finish it off in a day or three with little to no waste.

Much is the keyword here.

Just back from Aldi, plenty of TP but didn't see any whole turkeys.
I picked up a 3 lb. boneless breast for $9. Three bucks per lb. is expensive for turkey but hopefully the two of us can finish it off in a day or three with little to no waste.
That's what Barb and I are going to look for after T-Day, turkey bone in breasts. Last year we were able to pick up four of them for $.99 Lb. Great smoked on the roti. I usually only buy a full bird at Thanksgiving so I can use the bones to make a lot of broth and freeze it to use for soups and pot pies.

I ordered a 10-12lb’er from our local butcher the first week of October. My wife picked it up this morning and it was 12.7lb; close enough. Our butcher is a great guy. He and his staff are getting verbally abused because of the small turkey shortage. People are jerks.

There are too many households involved in my wife’s family to get everyone together safely on Thanksgiving. So we’re getting together with each household individually over this week. We don’t want to play favorites, so no family on Thanksgiving Day. I’m watching the Lions lose, spinning the bird on my kettle, and sharing the meal in our backyard with a couple who have the same family plan as us. Lucky for us the forecast is sunny and 71.

This year we ordered a fresh unfrozen Mary's Turkey from the same place that we get our smart chicken at. 11lb bird Looks really nice. Not to bad @ $2.50 a lb for fresh. Around a $25 bird. But since i read that lots of turkeys can be frozen up to 4 years before being consumed, we like to go fresh when ever we can. Like Rich Dahl I like the turkey leftovers. Cold turkey sammie, hot turkey sammie with whipped spuds on the side. And turkey gravy over the top. Ground turkey sloppy joes or turkey taco's. Its all guud. Surprised to see that no one is having sardines for Thanksgiving. LOL
Have a good T-day.

Back