Big Demand for Small Turkeys This Year

We're doing what Bob did-got a fresh 6 lb turkey breast for $15. Also haven't determined cooking method yet-wife wants to do in oven of course-I offered the kettle......at least I don't have to thaw it out. Love to do on kettle

Just 3 of us, wife, son, and me! Fettuccini Alfredo is what the wife wants. We are going to wait till things are a bit less restrictive and then do the turkey dinner with the kids (4) and grand kids (4).

We're doing two, a 14# in the Big easy turkey fryer and a 22# in the oven. Normally I do three and that one would of gone in the WSM or kettle.
But I'm retired now and I used to get a turkey from work as a thank you.
We're splitting up the cooks and sitting between two households. Our Son bought a house 4 doors down.

Not surprising. Just my immediate family and my mother-in-law this year. Usually, my parents, sisters and their families are part of the crew as well, so it's a big bird. Not so this time. I was at Wegman's at 7:30 Sunday morning. The turkey section was stocked full, but just about everything was 18 pounds or more (many over 20). I did manage to grab a 12 pounder. It seemed there were more turkey breasts than normal though, so hopefully that'll help.

Last edited:
Last week I almost bought a 12 lb frozen bird, but figured it was too early as I didn't have room in the freezer. Tonight went to 3 stores. Smallest I could find was 18 lbs.

Would like to smoke it on my Genesis Gold, but I am wondering if it is too big.

Too big for the roto (I think). Or is it? It is a cheapo unit I bought at Lowes. It did a 12 lb bird just fine, but don't know if it is up to an 18 pounder.

looks like a ton of us are in the same boat - either no Thanksgiving get togethers or scaled down a bunch. I'm not seeing my mom and my brother this year which is a bummer. Instead, spending quality time with my wife, kids, and my mother and father in law.

This year we're doing a fresh turkey for the first time. I'll be cooking in on the 22" WSM, serving with brussells sprouts and cornbread andouille dressing and a few other yummy sides. I'm still looking forward to Thanksgiving, but it will certainly be different this year.

Just smoking a turkey breast this year. Normally we roast a 20 lb bird and I don't even deal with the smoker because too much going on. But with no one coming over and just my wife and daughter (who's diet is pretty much dessert) I am going to try my hand at smoking a turkey breast.

I was sort of surprised to learn that the "texas style" of bbq turkey breast involves smoking with no skin on the breast meat. I watched Malcom Reed (BBQ Right) do one that way, and he wrapped it tight in foil at about 145 with about a half stick of butter in the foil. It looked pretty killer but not sure when I'll try it since I ordered a whole bird for bird day.

Back