Anybody grilling?

This isn't my normal way. This cook was shorter due to time constraints.

Choice tri tip from Costco. Costo trimmed it very lean so no fat cap at all.

Wood was leftover oak lump and leftover mesquite lump.

Meat was about 50F when it went on.

Montreal seasoning went on about 10 mins before it went on the grill.

(Normally I dry brine overnight with salt only and then add pepper and garlic and put it on the grill at 34F right from the fridge)

Grate temp was about 275F. Cooked indirect for about an hour.
(normally I smoke slower and longer)
I pulled it at 123F internal, covered it with foil while I stoked the coals. The drop spider is less than an inch from the coals.

30 seconds a side for six to 10 flips, pull it off, rest for 30 seconds, check temp, back on for a few more flips. Pulled when it felt done and it was 128F internal.

15 minute rest. Cut on the seam then carve across the grain.

Mesquite is too harsh for a longer smoke but mixed with the oak was a winner for a shorter cook.

Time was short or I would have used the smoke daddy with pecan, but that's a 3 to 4 hour cook.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this cook.

I will be on the lookout for a tri tip and will try and follow your method.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this cook.

I will be on the lookout for a tri tip and will try and follow your method.

There are a bunch of ways to cook tri tip but slow smoke with reverse sear has worked best for me.

Normally I prefer beef rare to the rare side of med-rare, yet I've found tri tip is better cooked a little bit more leaning towards medium.

slicing tri tip is also key. rather than try to explain it I'll suggest watching a video or two.

1675704657463.jpeg

Hey, has anyone here used any of the “Pre packed“ marinated tri tip from Costco? If so, what were the results? Good, awful, meh, too salty? Just curious. Thanks for the cutting reminder Dan! I really have a hankering for some beef and one of those might be really good!

I have never bought any pre marinated meat. However one I am thinking about trying is the marinated skirt steak they sell at costco. https://shoppingwithdave.com/costco-skirt-steak/
A friend of mine who happens to be Hispanic told me it's great. He said they stock up on it 7 or 8 packs at a time typically using 2 packs at a time and freezing the rest. I keep thinking about it but having never bought a marinated product even with my friend's endorsement I am still leery LOL

salt bomb IMO.
Thanks, that’s generally my take on pre marinated anything!
I have never bought any pre marinated meat. However one I am thinking about trying is the marinated skirt steak they sell at costco. https://shoppingwithdave.com/costco-skirt-steak/
A friend of mine who happens to be Hispanic told me it's great. He said they stock up on it 7 or 8 packs at a time typically using 2 packs at a time and freezing the rest. I keep thinking about it but having never bought a marinated product even with my friend's endorsement I am still leery LOL
I have had those and they are the exception to the “oversalted” rule.
My Uncle has a whole flock of in-laws and they swear by those things so, I got some from Costco on that recommendation and they are a great way to have a really quick nice burrito/ fajita type feast! Try it sometime Larry, it’s very convenient! I keep one in the freezer at all times.

Hey, has anyone here used any of the “Pre packed“ marinated tri tip from Costco? If so, what were the results? Good, awful, meh, too salty? Just curious. Thanks for the cutting reminder Dan! I really have a hankering for some beef and one of those might be really good!
A friend bought one of the pre marinated ones and said it was not very good, not even close to mine.

Last edited:
A friend bought one of the pre marinated ones and said it want very good, not even close to mine.
I’m guessing it’s a typo, next time I see a deal on tri tips (if it ever happens) I’m going to season and vacuum pack one and Sous vide it again, I did one that way but, not fully vacuumed (pre sucker) I think it would be better with the thing truly vacuumed. I need to practice with the whole Sous vide process. It’s a pretty interesting technique.

I’m guessing it’s a typo, next time I see a deal on tri tips (if it ever happens) I’m going to season and vacuum pack one and Sous vide it again, I did one that way but, not fully vacuumed (pre sucker) I think it would be better with the thing truly vacuumed. I need to practice with the whole Sous vide process. It’s a pretty interesting technique.
Typo

It was not very good.

I cooked tri tip using sous vide then a reverse sear once. It was OK. I prefer smoked and reverse seared ( top choice ) or cooked hot and fast over an open fire or very hot coals, then then tightly wrapping ( Santa Maria style).

I've never over cooked a tri tip using reverse sear. I have overcooked a few when using the open-fire method.

Here's the sous vide tri tip I did

Last edited:
use my posted recipe and save yourself the headaches of salt bomb meats. salt is an enhancer, not an announcer. most commercial products, and restaurants, over salt. restaurants specifically because they want to sell more drinks.

use my posted recipe and save yourself the headaches of salt bomb meats. salt is an enhancer, not an announcer. most commercial products, and restaurants, over salt. restaurants specifically because they want to sell more drinks.
Have you had the skirt steaks? As noted here in the thread they don't seem to be salt bombs. I like skirt steak but sometimes I just don't wanna be bothered due to time things with the whole marinating part. So I thought these might be a good "in a pinch" meat for fajita and so on.

Thanks, that’s generally my take on pre marinated anything!

I have had those and they are the exception to the “oversalted” rule.
My Uncle has a whole flock of in-laws and they swear by those things so, I got some from Costco on that recommendation and they are a great way to have a really quick nice burrito/ fajita type feast! Try it sometime Larry, it’s very convenient! I keep one in the freezer at all times.
this: https://tvwbb.com/threads/go-niners-carne-asada-coming-up.90053/post-1018879

2-3 # of skirt, flap or flank steak
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 fresh orange
Juice of 2 fresh limes
1.5 tsp of a hot chili powder (chipotle or any hot chili powder is fine, but not cayenne)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano rubbed between your hands when adding
1 tsp granulated onion
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Mix the marinade and add atop your steak. Marinate for 1-2 hours at room temp.

Note, due to the fresh acids, DO NOT marinate overnight. The acids will break down your meat’s fibers.

Grill direct heat over the hottest coals you got. Around 2-3 mins a side until you develop a nice color.

Move to indirect heat and cook through to 130-135°F. Remove and tent and let meat rest 5-10 mins. This heat carryover will ensure a medium rare cook.

Slice into thin strips and assemble into tacos or burritos. Enjoy!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

this: https://tvwbb.com/threads/go-niners-carne-asada-coming-up.90053/post-1018879

2-3 # of skirt, flap or flank steak
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 fresh orange
Juice of 2 fresh limes
1.5 tsp of a hot chili powder (chipotle or any hot chili powder is fine, but not cayenne)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano rubbed between your hands when adding
1 tsp granulated onion
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Mix the marinade and add atop your steak. Marinate for 1-2 hours at room temp.

Note, due to the fresh acids, DO NOT marinate overnight. The acids will break down your meat’s fibers.

Grill direct heat over the hottest coals you got. Around 2-3 mins a side until you develop a nice color.

Move to indirect heat and cook through to 130-135°F. Remove and tent and let meat rest 5-10 mins. This heat carryover will ensure a medium rare cook.

Slice into thin strips and assemble into tacos or burritos. Enjoy!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Nearly the exact same thing I do, only I don't always use olive oil as with all the other flavors I find it's not needed so, many times I use avocado oil (or some other neutral but good for you oil). And I have to hold back on cilantro (sadly) since my wife is one of those people who don't like it. Me? Hell I even would put it in a salad!

Have you had the skirt steaks? As noted here in the thread they don't seem to be salt bombs. I like skirt steak but sometimes I just don't wanna be bothered due to time things with the whole marinating part. So I thought these might be a good "in a pinch" meat for fajita and so on.
i gave up buying any pre marinated food eons ago. almost as much as i've given up goin out to eat these days.

if you want a simple marinate, that's easy, then do this:

skirt steak 2-3#
1 tbs frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tbs frozen pineapple concentrate
salt to your desired amount, around 1 tsp for this amount of meat
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp gran garlic
1 tbs crushed oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
3 tbs cooking oil
1/4 cup water

pour everything into a zip closed bag

massage all ingredients into your meat.

let countertop marinate for 30 minutes, or until coals are hot.

sear on direct heat. then move to indirect until done, around 130F. tent and let beef rest 10 minutes before slicing or chopping.

Our family loves the marinated skirt steak from Costco. We usually make steak tacos, and I made it for a small crowd once. Nothing but compliments. I always have one in the freezer, and we are thinking about firing it up soon.

Down in my old stomping grounds in Hobe Sound, Florida. I wish it was a vacation, but it is for work. My wife is working here as well. Anyway, tonight we were invited to the beautiful new home of very longtime friends of ours along with two other old high school friends and spouses. My friend’s house has a superb semi-built-in Napoleon grill. He wanted me to cook the 8 ribeyes, so I had the treat to try out a very nice grill:

DB76D59C-6400-4197-B1BE-C96685835255.jpeg
4F794E0F-D537-4345-BE27-864D0134BE39.jpeg
It was a special evening, and we all felt blessed to have this opportunity. (The Napoleon is a very nice grill to cook on, too😎!)

Back