Sous Vide Tri Tip reverse seared

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Last week I drove my mom to an appt out of her driving range. She asked for tri tip, and the only way I could think of making the timing work was to have it close to done via the sous vide and then finish with a sear.

Went in frozen, 120F water for about 3 hours then a sear along with some asparagus.

Seasoned with salt. She's not a fan of pepper.

20220331_172120.jpg

20220331_173821.jpg

20220331_174357.jpg

20220331_175813.jpg

20220331_175804.jpg

Thanks Joe, It was tasty. It was a Costco choice.

I had read if it goes too long in the sous vide it could get mushy, but the texture was fine.

It was the first tri tip I've cooked in a very long time that was not smoked, and with only salt seasoning. It had a more traditional roast beef flavor.

I have not sous vide since getting more into grilling a few years ago. I just saw Guga foods smoke for a few hours then souse vide a brisket for 30 hours and looked great.

Dan, that's pretty much the best thing about sous vide in my opinion. You know it'll be ready, and you don't have to fuss with anything else while you: drive your mom somewhere, work, watch the kids play water polo, go to the dentist, etc., etc. You can go quite a bit longer with tri-tip with no texture issues. I've done them for 8 hours.

Nice work. Gotta take care of momma! :)

R

Back