Anybody grilling?

Decorum requires quoting a post if you are calling someone silly…just kidding.
By the way, anybody grilling?
Apologies to you and Brett! FMIA
(forgive me in advance)
grilled some stuffed burgers last night, winter got me way off my game, no pix, not my best effort. Forgotten the ”stuffed” technique after many years of not doing any. The last one was more like a stuffed meat pizza used the grate from the second 22 to flip it (30 years ago) much different from “regular sized burgers”

It's hard to believe that a week ago I promised pics and a grilling item the next day! But here it is! One reason for the delay is that my last major cleanup before selling was to clear our our storage shed. Foolish me thought that would take a day -- HAH! Four exhausting days later (yes, still completely blown away every day) and 4 truck loads of junk to the dump plus 1 load to the Habitat store for donation, it got done. And then... Well, you know -- time moves on.

So this is kind of two-in-one, pics of my cook last weekend and even more of the new house layout. First to prove that I really did use the grill, let me show you the pizza I "made". Well, at least I assembled and cooked it. I used a pre-made crust my wife had bought before a new onslaught of her allergy situation meant that she couldn't eat it. That was over a year ago, but I just found the two crusts during the move and decided to try them. For the first one I followed the instructions on a new combo toaster oven/air fryer/convection oven our daughter bought us. I actually like how the device works -- its ability to produce really excellent toast caused us to discard our old toaster. But it couldn't rescue that crust (soggy!) and I was about ready to toss it also. But then I decided that for this pizza I would try the method I use for my own scratch pizza crusts -- par bake one side on the grill, dress and bake to completion. It worked! The crust still mostly sucked (I won't be buying it), but at least it was crisp and not soggy. So here's the proof -- pepperoni and Italian sausage with cauliflower, jalapeno and red pepper under the cheese. (Cauliflower is wonderful on pizza -- soaks up the flavors beautifully!)
20230203_190436.jpg20230203_191308.jpg

But as I mentioned a week ago, it takes some effort to grill here. First we leave the kitchen through the then crowded living room (more on that later).
20230203_184349.jpg

Then through the jam-packed sunroom (again, more later).
20230203_184404.jpg

Then across the back yard toward the grill. (Followed by a look back at the small brick patio with table and chairs, etc.) The large white-looking thing is the crawlspace entry cover -- that edge along the walk actually marks the limit of my property plat. The far wall beyond the grill is the shared wall with the neighboring townhouse. I kind of adopted another five feet (to the outer side of the patio) to make a rational yard. (Beg forgiveness!) That fencing is the only approved fence. All of the grey stone you see used to be basically mud before we fixed it.
20230203_184103.jpg20230203_184047.jpg

And finally a look into the kitchen where we started and then back at the grill. Repeat as needed. <sigh> We plan to get permission to change that large double window into an exit door with side lites straight out from the kitchen. THAT will make a great improvement. (More later in another thread since this has gotten pretty packed and things have already changed for the better despite still not having the new door.) But I do grill and use my smoker in that small courtyard
space. 20230203_184034.jpg20230203_184015.jpg

Can’t grill while I am back down in Florida working (although last night I co-grilled my way through 160 burgers for an evening treat for youth at our organization’s annual February event).

Next best thing was to find this guy doing REAL barbecue off the side of the road. I bought a brisket sandwich (excellent), but after seeing those ribs on his smoker I had to go back and get a rack to share with co-workers :coolkettle: !

FCC6371E-26AF-48FE-B9C3-FE0E21537EED.jpeg
D6B63FF2-02AE-4585-A5BE-43D2B8856A4B.jpeg

Well, to follow up on my Ribs.
It was a bust. I way over cooked them, opting to go for time rather than temp or other tests for doneness. Anyway, it was closer to eating jerky. I guess that is what a long Wisconsin winter does to my grilling skills. I did finish off one half the rack, but I don't feel right pawning the other half off on my daughter or trying to suffer through it for left overs tomorrow.

It is really dissapointing as I had been waiting a long time for a good day to do them and with temps in the mid 40's, I knew today was the day. I had been looking forward to a good plate of ribs all afternoon. Bummer.

Sorry, no pictures. I feel bad enough already.

Well, to follow up on my Ribs.
It was a bust. I way over cooked them, opting to go for time rather than temp or other tests for doneness. Anyway, it was closer to eating jerky. I guess that is what a long Wisconsin winter does to my grilling skills. I did finish off one half the rack, but I don't feel right pawning the other half off on my daughter or trying to suffer through it for left overs tomorrow.

It is really dissapointing as I had been waiting a long time for a good day to do them and with temps in the mid 40's, I knew today was the day. I had been looking forward to a good plate of ribs all afternoon. Bummer.

Sorry, no pictures. I feel bad enough already.
Sorry man. That's one thing about that particular rotisserie assembly is it's so much work to get it going - once you get it set up and perfect, you don't want to take it off and it ends up being too long. I have one of those rotisserie rods like yours but it's from the 90s. It seems ingenious but something always seems to go wrong when I try to use it. So I've kind of given up on it and prefer to use a straight rod.

Anyway - It'll be better next time.

Yah, I had to make an emergency run to pick up a couple prescritions for my daughter and take them to her at work. It might have worked out better if I was able to be home and pay more attention to the ribs as they were cooking.

Back