Anybody grilling?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I know it’s a dead - and very cold - time of year. I have been trying to not let the miserable weather knock me out if grilling like it has grill restoration.

Did these steaks Christmas Eve which is also my older son’s birthday. It has become a tradition:

377DD05F-9C23-4470-8234-50463130583C.jpeg

Also used my funny Landmann pellet kettle to turn out some bbq chicken:

B7B234D1-88C0-47C6-92A5-AA014F2841E1.jpeg

We’re in the first day of a 7+ day storm. If we’re not floating down the river by next week, I should be able to open the grill. Forecast if for 5 inches total+ of rain by next week.

1672186546592.png

1672186563213.png

I too received the Ooni Karu 12, however I doubt I try to fire it up for 2-3 month's, I would settle for a little rain as opposed to snow & Artic temps. What's the plan, wood/coals or gas?

I too received the Ooni Karu 12, however I doubt I try to fire it up for 2-3 month's, I would settle for a little rain as opposed to snow & Artic temps. What's the plan, wood/coals or gas?
I might fire it up tonight with some lump and see how it goes. I don't have dough made so it's just a test run.

I don't have the gas burner, yet I may get one. Thinking it would be good for wet days like today. Or hot windy fire danger days late in the summer.

Well I will live through your journey throughout the winter. Do you have a turning peel & are you going to make Neapolitan style pies?

I ordered a turning peel. The one I have is too large for the 12. Prob will use Rich's dough.

I'll start a new thread, didn't mean to totally hijack Jon's, but I'll say I did put on shoes and socks and a long sleeve shirt. BRRR.... It's down to 51.

I might fire it up tonight with some lump and see how it goes. I don't have dough made so it's just a test run.

I don't have the gas burner, yet I may get one. Thinking it would be good for wet days like today. Or hot windy fire danger days late in the summer.
TJs sells dough. And Winco too.

So....

Is ANYONE GRILLING???
No. But I did have prime rib off a traeger for dinner. I got one of the bones so I was a very happy dog. And a slice of the PR.

First time for PR off a Traeger. Very different than the WSK in flavor.

Neither good nor bad. Just different flavor profile. I did enjoy it.

Did a beef tenderloin up at the mountain house for Christmas dinner. It was a balmy 10F.

Silver B with the GGs did a great job and freed up the kitchen oven for sides and pies.

Seared on the flat side, then roasted on the rails. Easy peasey.

So....

Is ANYONE GRILLING???
Did a whole chicken last night, basic indirect, small red onion and a clementine in the cavity, basic truss turned out beautifully, sorry no pix, too lazy! Sided it up with a sweet potato dessert with a little pie and ice cream. Not the best thing for my blood sugar but, it’s the holiday!
Saturday, I might just have a sausage fest for convenience, and freezer cleaning.

I may just break one out tonight. We're finally leaving the deep freeze and gonna see upper 30s or low 40s today. Have a mixer on the bench to finish and a project to do on one of my cars as well. Too much to do LOL

I know it’s a dead - and very cold - time of year. I have been trying to not let the miserable weather knock me out if grilling like it has grill restoration.

Did these steaks Christmas Eve which is also my older son’s birthday. It has become a tradition:

View attachment 64361

Also used my funny Landmann pellet kettle to turn out some bbq chicken:

View attachment 64362
Nice grill grates are awesome and flat side up makes a great griddle!!

Back