Anybody grilling?

@Bruce I've overcooked ribs too and was able to do a partial save for the next day.

I wrapped them meat down in foil with 2 or 3 tablespoons butter, a couple ounces of apple juice and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar. 220F oven for an hour or so and then let them cool while wrapped. I pull the bones and make a sandwich.

Last edited:
I may try something like that Dan. Thanks. But, I am pretty disappointed in myself at this point for ruining my much anticipated rib dinner.

Well, to follow up on my Ribs.
It was a bust. I way over cooked them, opting to go for time rather than temp or other tests for doneness. Anyway, it was closer to eating jerky. I guess that is what a long Wisconsin winter does to my grilling skills. I did finish off one half the rack, but I don't feel right pawning the other half off on my daughter or trying to suffer through it for left overs tomorrow.

It is really dissapointing as I had been waiting a long time for a good day to do them and with temps in the mid 40's, I knew today was the day. I had been looking forward to a good plate of ribs all afternoon. Bummer.

Sorry, no pictures. I feel bad enough already.
Commiserations. Sometimes that stuff happens. Hi

Yeah, Bruce, been there and done that. Distractions, misestimations, all add up and ribs (especially baby back) because they're leaner can go from ohh so good to pig jerky before you can say "oh ^&*t"
Don't feel too badly.

I looking at weather forecasts and it looks like we might see some rain by mid week so, I’m thinking that it’s time to set up the smoker cabaña up and smoke a pork butt maybe Tuesday? Kettle cooking a spatchcock chicken tomorrow.

I had a special request from a couple of people to cook ribs for their super bowl guests. They're having a couple people over so this is what I'm doing right now.

PXL_20230212_211757562.jpg

We picked up a couple of flank steaks. One for the freezer, and one to cook today.

I put the steel on the grates and got it as hot as I could. Dropped the flank steak on and pressed it down with the big press.
5 min a side and started checking the internal temp. Shot for about 135, but I might have been a degree or two higher. Took about 13 min total.
I would say it was a success!

Gerry

Attachments

• 9D9B0AF2-FA74-4E34-B647-03D6C81D60C3.jpeg
    9D9B0AF2-FA74-4E34-B647-03D6C81D60C3.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 65812DBA-ED83-4B7C-898C-41ADD2D16288.jpeg
    65812DBA-ED83-4B7C-898C-41ADD2D16288.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 11
  • 4B4AAFBB-2FF6-4A68-AF76-6AB9054139D0.jpeg
    4B4AAFBB-2FF6-4A68-AF76-6AB9054139D0.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 8A6789CA-EF96-4170-AC54-BD3D06FF90BD.jpeg
    8A6789CA-EF96-4170-AC54-BD3D06FF90BD.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 0C76E678-334B-4321-8190-45DB89A20CC5.jpeg
    0C76E678-334B-4321-8190-45DB89A20CC5.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 10
Gerry, that looks awesome. I am sure it tasted as well. Do you know how hot the steel plate was when you threw the steak on?

Gerry, that looks awesome. I am sure it tasted as well. Do you know how hot the steel plate was when you threw the steak on?
I started the grill with all burners on high. After about five min, we ate our salad. The steak went on after that, so I would say it was heating for over twenty minutes. The thermometer on the grill was over 550.
Also, on our older red lids, the color changes to a deeper red when they get really hot. It was deep red!
I don’t measure the temp on the steel. What I do is flick some water on it from my fingers. If the water drops skate around like a puck on an air hockey table, it’s hot enough.
That steel is 1/4” stainless and by experience, I know it takes about 20 minutes to get it up to temp.

Gerry

That came out nice. Which recipe did you go with for the Flanken?
Since I had started with the recipe from the Weber WSC cookbook, I continued with that recipe.

I modified it as you suggested by covering the beer braised ribs with the sauce, indirect grilling with some oak wood chunks.

I am an adherent of the learning from my mistakes, and I was sufficiently satisfied with these ribs that I will be making them again.

They were tender and flavorful but would benefit from some bark, imo.

Thanks for your advice earlier, I was a bit in the weeds when I opened the cryovac package and realized the ribs were a different cut then what I was expecting.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I’ve been caught by opening something(usually unlabeled in my freezer) and had to rethink dinner more than once. Those Flanken ribs look pretty darned good!
I just found a recipe for that style ribs called “Yiddishe Ribbenes“ on a news feed so, I am planning on some of those in the near future!
The recipe doesn’t look very complicated, if it is good I’ll share.

I have never had any luck with flanken ribs. Every time I have tried, I end up throwing them away. No matter how I try cooking them (marinated/not marinated, hot and fast/slow and low) they're always tough beyond belief and or full of bone chips making them even more unpleasant. Yet they always "look" so good

I have never had any luck with flanken ribs. Every time I have tried, I end up throwing them away. No matter how I try cooking them (marinated/not marinated, hot and fast/slow and low) they're always tough beyond belief and or full of bone chips making them even more unpleasant. Yet they always "look" so good

Adding a little ACV to this recipe will help further tenderize the beef. An overnight marinade is really key to breaking down the beef fibers to soften them. Without tenderizing and a long marinade, these ribs are basically eating dental floss.

Adding a little ACV to this recipe will help further tenderize the beef. An overnight marinade is really key to breaking down the beef fibers to soften them. Without tenderizing and a long marinade, these ribs are basically eating dental floss.
Hey Brett, I’m giving you the raspberries! You make it all look pretty blasted easy! Granted I don’t tend to fuss and fret over a recipe but, you do some pretty complex cooking much of which is days of work!
l’ll give a ”difficult” recipe a couple of chances but, these particular pieces are new to me.
A buddy has offered some advice about checking over for bone chips and some other sort of pretty basic ideas but, on my worst day, I’ve out performed him, I take his advice with a shot of tequila (salt and lime of course).
Dental floss!🤣🤣🤣 that’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are!

Costco cryovac

76D71CFF-0511-4927-A9AE-FEE10F44AFF8.jpeg

Not pre-marinated though…

So, is that "Flaken Ribs" or just regular Beef Short Ribs? Or are they the same thing?

$9.99 a lb? Is that normal pricing?

Back