Anybody grilling?

Your steaks always look very tasty Jon. How much of that smoke do you find actually makes it into the steaks. I would not think they are on long enough to absorb much of the smoke.
It’s enough to make a difference. My wife, who hates smoke, could tell. That’s why I only use the smoker box occasionally. I would rate the results about the equivalent of using a pellet grill for quick high heat searing.

I would have to think the raw steaks picked up some based on how my hair smelled even though I only stayed near the grill intermittently🤣!

Here's what I'm up to at the moment. I'm pretty sure I could fit 10 or 12th racks that size on the smoker if I needed to. easily. and still have some room if I spaced it right. I almost feel bad for burning the fuel when they're so little on the smoker. almost 😁PXL_20230122_232844984.jpg

Grilled chicken thighs as a last minute grilling. Possibly the last cook on my 2-burner Silver A Skyline mod grill that has served me faithfully as my daily driver - at least until I can do a thorough renovation and part replacement. My Summit is finally done and has been rolled outside for some last pre-voyage preparation today. Shakedown cruise starts tomorrow after church!

24B17EF9-F3A5-4C7D-83C4-05AB9AFB52D6.jpeg

Meanwhile, my little Skyline does a great job:

2D34C57B-7214-4395-89EB-11F3DE017262.jpeg

Last edited:
Snowy all day here and cold and windy. That sun looks very inviting Jon. So do the Chicken thighs. I had some home made bean soup that cooked in the crock pot today. I used Chirizo in it.... Came out great.

Doesn't seem to matter the grill or grill grates or regular grates, you sure have a knack for getting some nice grill marks.

Thanks, Bruce. Doesn't always work out, though.

My honest first thoughts are:

Grillgrate grates are easier to cook on and require less babysitting. That's that lazy, "crutch" thing that Larry has mentioned. Whether you conside that a help or something to be ashamed of, I will leave to each person's decision.

I was shocked at how much grease found its way into the drip pan in my Summit from cooking just three moderate-sized ribeyes. (The third one was an ugly cut and not worthy of being photographed!) Using Grillgrate grates, most of that grease is all incinerated above. In fact, the drip tray in my little 2-burner Silver A Skyline hardly ever had grease, just dried up stuff that would fall in or that I scraped down. In addition to the open flow from using regular - well really super nice - stainless grates, the upside of using porcelain-coated steel in the firebox is the rapid runoff the grease that drips down. Faster, I would say than stainless steel, and definitely faster than cast aluminum. It was a flawed firebox design, but it had its upside, too.

The way my Summit behaved is the way Weber intended all along. The brief flare-ups are what Weber felt gave their gas grills the ability to mimic charcoal grilled flavor. I have to say that these steaks definitely had more of that then when I used Grillgrate grates.

Always gonna have more drippings from a Ribeye or similar cut than with a Sirloin or something like that. Just a lot more fat marbled into the meat on the nicer cuts. But, yah, I think the grill grates system has a lot going for it. If it were Stainless instead of aluminum, I have a feeling that larry and lot of others would warm up to them.

That is gorgeous. Currently at my dad's house. Cooking on his VERY original Genesis 2000 converted to 3000. Chicken on the grill, Risotto in the pan

OK, perhaps a bit of post-move now that I've actually grilled something -- a nice tenderloin; one of the best I've done. No pics due to fatigue and it's just too many steps to the grill right now.

So what does THAT mean? Our new place has a really nice grilling/smoking area, but the only access is to run through the house and around the back to the little courtyard I've adopted. I'll get some pics tomorrow now that that back yard is basically finished the way I want (dog fence, gravel and grill in place). We plan to have the kitchen windows replaced with a door and stoop directly out to the grill. The pics will explain all.

Meanwhile, most of the unpacking is done through stuff is still piled around while we decide where put it all in our somewhat down-sized space. Our former house is fixed up and soon will go on the market, my workshop is cleared out and basically cleaned with the shop vac (don't ask about the new garage/workspace slam-packed with what'sleft), and what remains back there is clearing the garden/storage shed plus getting the house deep cleaned.

Sometime, hopefully soon, we'll get around to relaxing and truly enjoying this new place. Something that the dogs are well ahead of us in doing.

No grilling last night. It was leftover night at the ranch. But, I don't care to simply have leftovers be leftovers. I like to make it into something else. So as some may recall (forgot where I posted it) a few days ago I made oxtails in my stove top pressure cooker. In this case I did not make a standard old stew prep. Oxtails were browned, and then a couple or 3 tsp of tomato paste added and toasted slightly to the pan, while browning off the carrots, celery and onion. Once that was handled, a little over a cup of decent full bodied red wine, 4 large tbs of some marinara and a touch of water (about 1/3 cup). Oxtails went back into this put it up on pressure for 35 minutes, turned off gas, let rest another 8, released pressure and served. Now I had some delish gravy left behind (as by design) along with some of the veg. This all went in the fridge.
Last night cooked up some organic spaghetti (Garafalo brand) good stuff I get at Costco. Meanwhile I buy meatballs already par cooked and frozen from Thuringer in Arlington Hts IL. They went in the "sauce" and cooked through and I used a fork to crush in the veg. Once the meatballs were cooked through and sauce "blended" with the veg, in went the pasta to finish and absorb all that goodness.
Outstanding does not come close to describing how good this was!
And BTW cooked in my new All Clad pan and lid I acquired the other day.
20230131_182801.jpg

Looks great Larry!
I had used a new Jacques Pépin recipe for roasted chicken the other day (after recovering from a miserable back spasm) so, I stripped the rest of the good off and used some for a small batch of “King Ranch Chicken” turned out beautifully! No pictures, too hungry!

Back