Anybody grilling?

The only real action on my grill since the Christmas Eve Day hi-temp 15 lb brisket on the 14.5 was today cleaning both Genesis and WSM in prep for moving which starts tomorrow -- too busy packing. Miserable day for anything outside -- light rain and just under 40*. I'm a year round griller, but these are the kind of days I don't like. Especially with no food as a result -- just a sandwich for dinner since everything is all packed up.

Back to the brisket, it was the best I've produced yet and with a remarkable smoke ring. (No pics so didn't happen -- but it did.). My third high heat and first on the 14.5. I was concerned about that whopper in the little smoker, but propped up over an edge-wise jalapeno popper tray, it all went very smoothly. Didn't happen of course, but I still have half the frozen point to play with. I froze half of the flat and the point after dinner for my daughter and grandsons since COVID in the family messed up our Christmas together, but even reheated it got rave reviews from all.

Our move is scheduled for two days and then got to get adjusted, so no telling when my next cook will be.

Really!? I thought it was just us. We're doing the final move in tomorrow and will bed down in the new place (older than our current home) for the first time. All is going well, but we will still be going back for a couple of weeks to finish moving out the excess. Like you said Timothy, a LOT of stuff!!

The best thing you can do before moving is ditch a lot of "stuff". Much of it you won't need or want to use with your new place anyway. Not sense moving it and then tossing it. It almost feels liberating to move into a new place with room for everything. Of course, some of that stuff will need to be replaced in the new digs.

As you are packing, if you find stuff that didn't even know you had or stuff that you haven't used in ten years, it likely needs to go and won't be missed anyway.

cdbb9eed54c2a02e16099f1d1378be5a.jpg

Definitely yes to all. I'm still doing that as we clean out my shop and our storage shed -- both part of our property. The "keep it in case you need it" has been so good so often that it's hard to give up. But finally accepting that I actually can't do everything myself is helping.

The best thing you can do before moving is ditch a lot of "stuff". Much of it you won't need or want to use with your new place anyway. Not sense moving it and then tossing it. It almost feels liberating to move into a new place with room for everything. Of course, some of that stuff will need to be replaced in the new digs.

+1000

One year ago we sold and moved out of the large suburban empty nest (25 years in residence) and moved to a smaller place less than half the size.

For six months pre-move we ditched stuff via every method possible -- thrift store, gift to our kids and friends kids, $0 listings on Craigslist and FBM. It was amazing how much stuff was off loaded.

But after all that, we still ended up pitching stuff into a huge dumpster in our driveway. Plenty of that stuff was in fine shape (e.g. five dozen perfectly good neck ties) but had to be tossed because we couldn't get rid of it any other way.

We STILL ended up moving way too much stuff. But the experience has motivated me to continue to ruthlessly cull what remains.

Marie Kondo rules!!

+1000

One year ago we sold and moved out of the large suburban empty nest (25 years in residence) and moved to a smaller place less than half the size.

For six months pre-move we ditched stuff via every method possible -- thrift store, gift to our kids and friends kids, $0 listings on Craigslist and FBM. It was amazing how much stuff was off loaded.

But after all that, we still ended up pitching stuff into a huge dumpster in our driveway. Plenty of that stuff was in fine shape (e.g. five dozen perfectly good neck ties) but had to be tossed because we couldn't get rid of it any other way.

We STILL ended up moving way too much stuff. But the experience has motivated me to continue to ruthlessly cull what remains.

Marie Kondo rules!!
thanks for that. we just started the purge. figuring it might take 10 years to complete the job as we're in our less than mid 50's.

and from cleaning out my parent's place when they passed away, we've donated a ton of clothing. we joke that we should drive around town to see if we can "see" my parents walking around town with someone sporting their stash.

last summer was the garage. now we're into the house. closets get trimmed often now, especially since i built my wife a full walk-in with organized storage.

we've donated a ton of clothing. we joke that we should drive around town to see if we can "see" my parents walking around town with someone sporting their stash.

Couple years back, I was driving through a part of downtown Denver where some homeless people camp. I spotted a person turned away from me that had a name spelled out across the back of their hoodie sweat shirt. I recognized the name and the hoodie style as being from my kid's HS team.

At first, I thought the team mate must have hit some hard times. When the person turned around, I guessed (correctly it turns out) that the parents had been purging stuff out of their house.

A significant part of the purge process for us was culling all the stuff out of the kids rooms. Which for many years had been maintained as a combination of a (i) childhood museum and (ii) free storage unit for the kid living elsewhere.

Last edited:
It was Pastor Appreciation back in October, but different challenges postponed my promised steak dinner for him and his wife (who conveniently live across the street).

I did a thorough inside cleaning of my faithful little custom “Skyline Silver A” and added wood chips for this cook - oak and cherry.

417DECF2-AE22-4094-8F90-892FBA8F84C0.jpeg

It was special meal so I did filet mignon, not something I do more than once a year.

DA6FA649-156C-4A15-ACA3-5ACDDEEA2403.jpeg

Except for my wife’s steak in the back, I used St. Elmo Steakhouse seasoning from a famous steak place in Indianapolis, and added just a little Weber Cowboy seasoning for more flavor.

057AFDD6-207E-4366-B9EC-3B90E8454ACA.jpeg

I was so thankful that the grilling was a success and the start of a very nice evening.

8B0553BE-CA70-4DF6-AA8C-8F30C04807E8.jpeg

Your steaks always look very tasty Jon. How much of that smoke do you find actually makes it into the steaks. I would not think they are on long enough to absorb much of the smoke.

Back