Anybody grilling?

Well, 6 overnight last night but, “supposed” to be 30 by noon! Loin of pork on the kettle tonight with creamed spinach and feta tomato penne with an apple cobbler for dessert. If all goes to plan. Have not fired the kettle in a couple of weeks, hope I remember how it’s done!

Same situation back in Wisconsin. -10 yesterday morning but temps started rising that morning through the day and through last night and will continue to do so all the way to +36 this afternoon. A 46 degree turnover.

As temps move from the teens today to the 40's overnight, burgers are up tomorrow on the grill and a ham's going in the smoker. Tempted to try smoking my third pork butt next week with these balmy days.

February in Michigan has moved from ice fishing season to grilling season. I miss ice fishing but not the snow shoveling.

Supposed to get close to 50 here today after a bitter cold snap. If I get everything else done early enough, might whip up a batch of ABTs.

It's been frigid here in NC by our standards. 24 last night and below freezing again tonight. Since I needed to work outside today ( the move, you know), I was ready but never added the extra jacket-- too much activity. The promise is for better temps from here on out.

I know I promised several days ago more on the move and the new place, but exhaustion has weighed me down. I did grill last night AND got pics but -- well, f‐-‐---- exhausted. Truly, very hard to think. One more day and I think the old place is done and behind us. Sorry, but soon...

Dan- looks really good.

Would you be willing to share some details with a member of “grilling 101”?

Cut of beet
Marinade/rub
Cook details- time/temp etc.

This isn't my normal way. This cook was shorter due to time constraints.

Choice tri tip from Costco. Costo trimmed it very lean so no fat cap at all.

Wood was leftover oak lump and leftover mesquite lump.

Meat was about 50F when it went on.

Montreal seasoning went on about 10 mins before it went on the grill.

(Normally I dry brine overnight with salt only and then add pepper and garlic and put it on the grill at 34F right from the fridge)

Grate temp was about 275F. Cooked indirect for about an hour.
(normally I smoke slower and longer)
I pulled it at 123F internal, covered it with foil while I stoked the coals. The drop spider is less than an inch from the coals.

30 seconds a side for six to 10 flips, pull it off, rest for 30 seconds, check temp, back on for a few more flips. Pulled when it felt done and it was 128F internal.

15 minute rest. Cut on the seam then carve across the grain.

Mesquite is too harsh for a longer smoke but mixed with the oak was a winner for a shorter cook.

Time was short or I would have used the smoke daddy with pecan, but that's a 3 to 4 hour cook.

Last edited:
I recognize that yard and deck.

Sounds like a great evening. Props to the neighbor at his age.
He ate well, had a vodka martini, a nice steak, baked tater, mixed veg and a couple nice glasses of bourbon barrel aged Cabernet Sauvignon. Even at 96 livin La Vida Loca

Back