You smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
This will be the first year for me not smoking a turkey on the 26" kettle. Also the first time making a full turkey on the SmokeFire. I did a boneless breast that turned out excellent. What is your preferred method when smoking a turkey?

I usually get a large Butterball turkey, drench it in butter, season lightly salt & pepper. Put some herbs and veggies in the cavity. When I smoked the breast I used PB Harvest Blend pellets, it's a combo of apple and pecan wood. It was a good choice because it added nice smokey flavor to the turkey.

The turkey will be in a shallow roasting pan. I'm going to smoke at 225 for about an hour before turning up the heat to 325.

s.JPG

Last edited:
In the past I’ve done at least one but, my family‘s taste has changed and we’ve all decided that smoking a whole turkey is not as exciting as it used to be. This year I’m thinking that I’ll borrow an idea from Brett EDH, Porchetta looks like it would be a lot of fun and be a nice change! We shall see.

I might, but my turkey may come from a steer and be shaped like a standing rib roast ;D But to satisfy the poor souls who "like?" it I may do a small one or a breast. I will eat it if it's the only thing to eat, but do my best to avoid it.

Have done our turkey on the Traeger for the past several years. I dry brine overnight with Kosher salt, then slather with butter and sprinkle with black pepper, granulated garlic, sage, rosemary & thyme. Halve an orange and a medium onion and stuff them in the cavity with some rosemary and sage, drape bacon across the top and cook at 325, on a roast rack, sitting on a baking sheet until the bacon is semi-crispy, remove the bacon to finish, basting with drippings. Always a hit and bacon/turkey drippings, along with the giblets and stock from boiling them, make for a tasty gravy.

Haven't yet but thinking of saving some of the drippings and using it to make gravy to put on biscuits for breakfast.

I’ll be smoking and grilling a jumbo this year. I break the bird down into its parts: breasts with wings on, thighs and legs. I’ll do a 24 hour wet flavored brine with a hint of pineapple concentrate in it.

Then I’ll dry it off and assemble a paste rub of herbs, garlic and evoo, getting the paste under the skin and all over the bird pieces.

High heat up front to start the skin to sear and then dial down to 350° until done.

Will use briqs and some wood chunks for smoke flavor. Not seeking a heavy smoked bird. Just an aromatic smoke.

I’m making the bird portion for a large gathering. I’m probably going to do a 24# bird or so. Never done one so large but I’ve grilled/smoked all my birds for the past 15+ years or so as parts. I gave up doing a full intact bird as it serves no purpose but to waste time.

I’ll see if I have some previous years’ pics to share.

I’ll also buy a freezer bird which I’ll make some boneless breasts. I like to cook those during the year. And a good turkey leg or thigh always makes for a nice simple dinner. This way we’re not forced to eat 14# of turkey in a few days.

2022 Turkey. I froze the breasts and only made the thighs and legs and wings.

1699119715931.jpeg

1699119733493.jpeg

1699119750373.jpeg

1699119767620.jpeg

Last edited:
Have done one the last 2 years on the UDS usually about 14 pounds. We have an invite to the brother in-laws this year he usually buys them cooked at some riduclous cost but whatever its his money.

I have a Butterball 3 pound boneless breast in the freezer will do that for Christmas just 4 of us. Probably do some crab also.

The wife and I will be spending Thanksgiving Day at our favorite Costa Rican beach Hotel which will serve-up a tasty USA -style Thanksgiving meal at dinner time on the 23rd.

Attachments

• 44096EE7-3B5B-4B1E-B283-67850A2427A3.jpeg
    44096EE7-3B5B-4B1E-B283-67850A2427A3.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 7C6D149D-7A80-4981-8B92-7E75A9E16152.jpeg
    7C6D149D-7A80-4981-8B92-7E75A9E16152.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BAF9202A-E8AB-489F-A6A9-0DDB1055B8E0.jpeg
    BAF9202A-E8AB-489F-A6A9-0DDB1055B8E0.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
76739F4C-BF38-4748-B51E-EDBA7595EAA8.jpeg
My preferred setup. I generally grab a couple of breasts, one on each. Then Mac and cheese and maybe potatoes or whatever else on the Smokefire as the turkeys finish.

The breasts, I’ll generally inject with butter and a rub, then rub outside as usual. Although I’m not sure the injection really does much.

I'm going to be smoking and spatchcocking a local farm raised turkey appx 12-14 lbs. I wanted a 12 lb max bird, but with farm raised you get what you get.

I'll inject it with either Kosmos Chicken injection or Tony Cachere's cajun butter using Harry Soo's Jailbird Chicken for the rub. I plan on using the OJ Bronco with the Smokefire as a backup.

I make a smoked chicken pot pie with the leftovers.

Edit: Just looking at all of these pics of previous cooks is making me VERY hungry.

You smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?​

Well, yes and no. I guess I may be spinning one on the Joetisserie, maybe. First the wife wanted the turkey roasted in the bag in the oven and I said fine, you roast it. Then just today, I mentioned I wanted to get a breast for the rotisserie and she decided I should do the Thanksgiving turkey on the spit. OK, I can do that, until she changes her mind. Who knows? It may go in a bag on the SmokeFire.

This will be my 3rd year Apple brining one on an 18 WSM. I pretty much use the exact recipe on the virtual Weber bullet.
I used to do them years ago on a Brinkman. Just throw them on the smoker. Brinkmans were popular from the 80's on. They had no adjustable vents yet Turkeys always came out great.
Fast forward to now with Apple brine and a WSM with vents (Mine has a temp controller). It's hard to beat.

Back