You know you're getting old when...

You know you're old when :
You watched the (now) oldest McDonalds being built.
Peter Norton had his office in Santa Monica and was your savior in everything DOS...
(still have a couple 8" floppy disks laying around somewhere)
Borland Pascal started talking about this upcoming 'Object Oriented Programming' thing...
And, one of Carl Karcher's sons was your paper boy (Anaheim Bulletin, late 50s/early 60s) ...

Last edited:
Ten years ago my grandson asked:
”Why would anyone live where there is no WiFi?”
We were at the cottage, not quite “Gilligans Island” but, no phone and no WiFi which I must admit is rather refreshing.

We were at the cottage, not quite “Gilligans Island” but...

On a recent vacation, the whole family took a boat trip together.

At one point, I made (if I say so myself) an extremely clever joke that worked in a reference to "a three hour tour."

Nothing. Blank stares.

Gilligan, the Minnow, Thurston Howell, Ginger/Mary Ann. All still blank stares. You'd think at least one kid (all 20 somethings) would have seen it on reruns someplace.

That told me I was old.

Last edited:
As a Safety Consultant, I was walking through a retail store with the Store Manager and several Department Managers. We came to a part of the store that was about to be re-merchandised, so it was clear of racks and fixtures, just a big cleared floor space. I said “You could hold a Sock Hop in here”. Nobody knew what I was talking about or had ever heard that term.

Last edited:
We were at the cottage, not quite “Gilligans Island” but...

On a recent vacation, the whole family took a boat trip together.

At one point, I made (if I say so myself) an extremely clever joke that worked in a reference to "a three hour tour."

Nothing. Blank stares.

Gilligan, the Minnow, Thurston Howell, Ginger/Mary Ann. All still blank stares. You'd think at least one kid (all 20 somethings) would have seen it on reruns someplace.

That told me I was old.
Typical male inquiry, Ginger, or Mary Anne?

….. You remember programming computers (now known as developing software) for the beta version of the IBM Clamshell in DOS and C. DOS V1&2, C well before C++ and OOP. Mark Williams C compiler which pre-dated the Borland C compiler. The Clamshell later became the original IBM laptop. The Clamshell/laptop had no hard drive, DOS and a single (1) program were on one or multiple 5-1/4” floppies which were shuttled in and out of the single 5-1/4” drive. 64k RAM.

Last edited:

Back