You know you're getting old when...

….. You remember programming computers (now known as developing software) for the beta version of the IBM Clamshell in DOS and C. DOS V1&2, C well before C++ and OOP. Mark Williams C compiler which pre-dated the Borland C compiler. The Clamshell later became the original IBM laptop. The Clamshell/laptop had no hard drive, DOS and a single (1) program were on one or multiple 5-1/4” floppies which were shuttled in and out of the single 5-1/4” drive. 64k RAM.
Wrote COBOL with punch cards and were happy to start using 8 inch floppies.

….. You remember programming computers (now known as developing software) for the beta version of the IBM Clamshell in DOS and C. DOS V1&2, C well before C++ and OOP. Mark Williams C compiler which pre-dated the Borland C compiler. The Clamshell later became the original IBM laptop. The Clamshell/laptop had no hard drive, DOS and a single (1) program were on one or multiple 5-1/4” floppies which were shuttled in and out of the single 5-1/4” drive. 64k RAM.
You know your getting old when you don't understand one word Ken posted. lol

This one might win, I remember when TV turned off at night and came back on in the morning. Test pattern on the screen when programs were off. Pre color TV black and white only.
I even remember the weird sound it made when the test pattern came on.

1200px-RCA_Indian_Head_Test_Pattern.svg.png

After getting home well after midnight, my parents asked the next morning what time I got home. Being cool, I said my brother was still in front of the TV when I came in. Yeah, he was sound asleep with the test pattern lighting up the living room.

Well this is timely. I won't waste your time talking about [literally] going through CVS Pharmacy's drive-thru yesterday to pick up Shelley's contacts that she ordered from the eye doc down the road. But this thread reminds me of this movie scene. Do any of you enjoy the Grump Old Men movies as much as I do?

1633225362993.png

I’ve never had a McRib! They always seemed just too processed, call me unamerican but, something is just wrong with it.
We have something similar here sold in fish 'n' chip shops. It's called a mock-chop. It's exactly that, and bares no resemblance to what we here would consider a chop. I believe it's made from all the "bits" that fall off the butcher's table, then moulded into something I would describe as square and has the consistancy of a good quality, water-logged hardboard. Not for the faint-hearted.

You know you're getting old when: you put on your "comfies" and slippers at the time when you used to go out partying.

screenshot_30.jpg

I remember waking up in the wee small hours to this test card (pattern). It was accompanied by a very high pitched whine.
The young girl pictured above must be at least 65yrs old
Before the above test card the screen used to just go black after the National Anthem, with a small circle in the middle that got progressively smaller. As young kids we didn't want to go to bed until the dot had disappeared. Drove my Mum & Dad bonkers. This was at 10:30pm, no tv until about 11:00am the next morning.

Back