You know you're getting old when...

Rich and Dan. Toyotas work like most Asian cars. There is a setting called DRL/Auto and if you turn the dial one click back it turns off the DRL AND the Auto feature. All Toyotas have been this way since at least the mid 90's. So you really don't have to "think". Just leave them in DRL/Auto and they will work as the land of the Rising Sun intended. And honestly I wish there was no "off" setting for lights on vehicles. So tired of people who think it's "cool" to drive with no lights. And don't get me started on the idiots out there with aftermarket LED lights. Even in the daytime they melt your retinas. Makes me wish I had a 50mm gatling gun that rotates on my vehicles.

And honestly I wish there was no "off" setting for lights on vehicles. So tired of people who think it's "cool" to drive with no lights. And don't get me started on the idiots out there with aftermarket LED lights. Even in the daytime they melt your retinas. Makes me wish I had a 50mm gatling gun that rotates on my vehicles.
I can't even begin to imagine the meltdown you'd have if one of them was on your lawn...;)

Incidentally, it's not legal to have LED headlights in the US but LED foglights are OK, so the LED bulbs are available and some of them will fit where a regular headlight bulb is used.

it's not legal to have LED headlights
Damn. What am I going to do with my RAV4? It's all LED exterior lighting on the hybrids.
There is nothing wrong with PROPERLY used LED lighting. This particular buttwipe of a person was also using high powered high beams. Even in daylight they will melt your retinas.
Another pet peeve that should be illegal (and if it is should be enforced HARD), is people installing LED in the their high beams. Then finding out the DRL system doesn't work correctly. So they get a jumper to make the DRLs full intensity high beams all the time! I wish I could blow those cars off the road with a grenade

You take this where ever you go
product_home_arthritis@2x.jpg

Incidentally, it's not legal to have LED headlights in the US but LED foglights are OK, so the LED bulbs are available and some of them will fit where a regular headlight bulb is used.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. If that's the case, then a whole lot of new vehicles sold over the last few years would not be legal.

There are specs that the bulbs (and reflectors, projectors, etc.) do need to meet, and it's possible for an aftermarket LED lamp manufacturer to meet those specs. No argument that some are better than others.

@LMichaels, yeah, DRLs complicate things rather significantly, and I'm really not sure at all of DRLs simply assume incandescent filaments. I think that DRLs run with a lowered voltage compared to a standard low beam, and that would play havoc with an LED assembly that assumes a 12 volt supply. That's gonna be a frustration point for sure if you're not expecting it and don't understand it. And if I can see your headlights, general rule is that I expect them to be low beams at most *AND* properly aimed. And sometimes... aftermarket/illegal can be good. I ran Euro spec lamp housings in my old Jeep and with 85watt high beams. They were aimed well enough and had a good enough cutoff that most people on the other side of the road didn't even realize I had my high beams on (and I was VERY careful about not brighting someone from the rear.)

Caveat: I used to work for an injection plastics molder who concentrated heavily on industrial lighting. A small part of the business was automotive, and the engineers were working on some neat automotive applications 30 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. If that's the case, then a whole lot of new vehicles sold over the last few years would not be legal.

There are specs that the bulbs (and reflectors, projectors, etc.) do need to meet, and it's possible for an aftermarket LED lamp manufacturer to meet those specs. No argument that some are better than others.

@LMichaels, yeah, DRLs complicate things rather significantly, and I'm really not sure at all of DRLs simply assume incandescent filaments. I think that DRLs run with a lowered voltage compared to a standard low beam, and that would play havoc with an LED assembly that assumes a 12 volt supply. That's gonna be a frustration point for sure if you're not expecting it and don't understand it. And if I can see your headlights, general rule is that I expect them to be low beams at most *AND* properly aimed. And sometimes... aftermarket/illegal can be good. I ran Euro spec lamp housings in my old Jeep and with 85watt high beams. They were aimed well enough and had a good enough cutoff that most people on the other side of the road didn't even realize I had my high beams on (and I was VERY careful about not brighting someone from the rear.)

Caveat: I used to work for an injection plastics molder who concentrated heavily on industrial lighting. A small part of the business was automotive, and the engineers were working on some neat automotive applications 30 years ago.
Amen to ’properly aimed’. Even when the old sealed beam headlights began to be replaced by sealed beam halogens, it became a even more of a pain for oncoming motorists for the badly aimed headlights. (ok, so that’s another instance of ‘you know you’re getting old when’…..)

The Lego Home Alone House is $275

Who spends $275 on Legos?

My son. 😱 Actually, looks like Disney is doing a little price gouging. That set retails for $249.

To me, that sounds like a lot, but I'm not with the program these days. I remember as a little kid someone got me legos, I wasn't all that good about putting them away. My dad stepped on one or more barefoot in the middle of the night. That was the last I ever saw of legos :)

Three old Grandmas were sitting on a bench outside the nursing home when an old Grandpa walked by.
One of the old Grandmas yelled out, 'Hey, we bet we can tell exactly how old you are!'
The old man said, 'There is no way you can guess my age!’
One of the Grandmas said, 'Sure we can! Just drop your pants and undershorts and we can tell your exact age.'
Embarrassed, but anxious to prove they couldn't do it, he dropped his drawers.
The Grandmas asked him to first turn around a couple of times and then jump up and down several times.
Determined to prove them wrong, he did it.
Then they all said in unison, 'You're 87-years-old!'
Standing with his pants down around his ankles, the old gent asked, 'How in the world did you guess my age?'
Slapping their knees, high-fiving and grinning from ear to ear, the three old ladies happily crowed.....
'We were at your birthday party yesterday.'

To me, that sounds like a lot, but I'm not with the program these days. I remember as a little kid someone got me legos, I wasn't all that good about putting them away. My dad stepped on one or more barefoot in the middle of the night. That was the last I ever saw of legos :)

It is a lot. These days, there are Legos, and then there are all the branded Legos (Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, etc). The branded ones seem to be very expensive, and the non-branded ones are becoming more and more rare. I've actually been tempted to start collecting some of these sets - the limited production ones go out of circulation quickly and prices get insane. We got one for our son a few years ago, that was $199 at the time, if I recall correctly - it was discontinued a year or so later. He looked it up on eBay the other day and an unopened one was going for over $700!

Back