What's on your grilling and smoking menu for the Fourth of July Weekend?

Those look great Bob. Did you do the high heat cook? That was our plan for today, but Barb got called into work because of a few no shows we had to cancel until tomorrow. Quick burgers tonight when she gets home about 7pm.

Those look great Bob. Did you do the high heat cook? That was our plan for today, but Barb got called into work because of a few no shows we had to cancel until tomorrow. Quick burgers tonight when she gets home about 7pm.
Thanks Rich!
Pretty much HH. Lit two baskets of RO Chef's Select, closed the bottom vent to half, and let 'er rip. Most of the cook was at 340F. No wrapping and they were pretty much FOB, which is fine with us.
Happy 4th to you, Barb, and the pups!

Finally found a tri tip in south Texas! Growing up on the central coast in CA I had it all the time (and man was it cheap). Nice to grill one up, been over a year. Happy 4th everyone. IMG_20210704_192816.jpgIMG_20210704_192827.jpg

Whole grilled Picanha.
IMG_20210704_175934843.jpg
IMG_20210704_180706405_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210704_182642273.jpg

Plated with Potatoes and a mix of snow and sugar snap peas, all done on the kettle.
IMG_20210704_183906270.jpg

Here were the fireworks.
IMG_20210704_213358516_HDR.jpg

But better then the real fireworks was this homemade sweet biscuit cooked on the kettle, served with macerated strawberries and homemade whipped cream, it stole the whole day, it was that good.

IMG_20210704_192740803.jpg

Last edited:
Whole grilled Picanha.
View attachment 32005
View attachment 32006

View attachment 32007

Plated with Potatoes and a mix of snow and sugar snap peas, all done on the kettle.
View attachment 32010

Here were the fireworks.
View attachment 32008

But better then the real fireworks was this homemade sweet biscuit cooked on the kettle, served with macerated strawberries and homemade whipped cream, it stole the whole day, it was that good.

View attachment 32009
Excellent cook Michael! Looks like you had a wonderful 4th of July!

I'm smoking a rack of whole spares on the Masterbuilt 560 and a rack on the Franklin stick burner, for comparison. And I'm also putting a rack of Duroc whole spares on the Franklin, for comparison purpose with the commodity spares.
We need to results form you research.

Done on E6. Smoked with red oak. Texas style BBQ sauce. Took 4 hours. Ready to pull.

View attachment 31994
Wanted to give an update. I used 1 1/2 chimney starters full of Kingsford Competition briquettes for the cook. Including warm up and 5 hours of cook time, this was what was left in the E6. A good third of a chimney left. Hard to see, but quite a few unbury coals.

1625507268988.jpeg

Last edited:
We need to results form you research.

I posted most of it here ...............

https://tvwbb.com/threads/question-for-barbecue-judges.87556/post-978161

Duroc vrs commodity rib --- The duroc had a very different flavor. Could've been that the outside fat on the slab had been carefully trimmed at the butcher, while this particular slab of commodity had a very thick rib tip section. I can't say one was better than the other, but if the price was equal, or at least close, I would buy the duroc. Trouble with that, the price is not going to be close.

Stick burner vrs gravity feed -- I sort've messed this up a little, in that I got involved with feeding splits to the stick burner and neglected to pay attention to adding chunks to the ash bin of the MB560. I had chunks in the hopper and started with chunks in the ash bin. At 2.5 hours, I checked color of ribs on both cookers. The stickburner ribs were ready to wrap but the color on the MB560 was not there. So I added a chunk of pecan to the ash bin and ran it another 30 minutes.

The MB560 slab got less smoke, how much that impacted color, IDK. But both me and Mrs Dollar preferred the stick burner commodity rib.

Here's the final slabs. None of these pulled down on the bone very far, but they were all perfectly bite through done.

Duroc.

20210703_185849.jpg

Masterbuilt 560 commodity rib

20210703_190105.jpg

Franklin stick burner commodity rib

20210703_190258.jpg

I posted most of it here ...............

https://tvwbb.com/threads/question-for-barbecue-judges.87556/post-978161

Duroc vrs commodity rib --- The duroc had a very different flavor. Could've been that the outside fat on the slab had been carefully trimmed at the butcher, while this particular slab of commodity had a very thick rib tip section. I can't say one was better than the other, but if the price was equal, or at least close, I would buy the duroc. Trouble with that, the price is not going to be close.

Stick burner vrs gravity feed -- I sort've messed this up a little, in that I got involved with feeding splits to the stick burner and neglected to pay attention to adding chunks to the ash bin of the MB560. I had chunks in the hopper and started with chunks in the ash bin. At 2.5 hours, I checked color of ribs on both cookers. The stickburner ribs were ready to wrap but the color on the MB560 was not there. So I added a chunk of pecan to the ash bin and ran it another 30 minutes.

The MB560 slab got less smoke, how much that impacted color, IDK. But both me and Mrs Dollar preferred the stick burner commodity rib.

Here's the final slabs. None of these pulled down on the bone very far, but they were all perfectly bite through done.

Duroc.

View attachment 32066

Masterbuilt 560 commodity rib

View attachment 32064

Franklin stick burner commodity rib

View attachment 32067
I can see what you mean on the difference in color. It is cool to hear from your cooking that the believe that the stick burner is the best bbq color and flavor is true.

I can see what you mean on the difference in color. It is cool to hear from your cooking that the believe that the stick burner is the best bbq color and flavor is true.

I'm biased , in that I own a Franklin BBQ pit, but I thought the same when I had my Old Country Brazos. And the ribs from MB gravity feed were right there. And I spent $250 on that smoker.

And after re-heating the ribs this evening, my opinion of the duroc went up, while Mrs Dollar's opinion of the duroc went down.

So it kind of is, what it is .

So far the plan is going to the daughter and sil's to watch fireworks, much better view there. I volunteered a brisket flat from the freezer but they all wanted burgers and dogs. OK, I get to cook on the Jumbo Joe for the first time. I have only used it for a patio fire pit until now. Really looking forward to it.
How did the first cook on the Jumbo Joe go?

It went great Michael, thanks for asking. I didn't get any pics, I was just too busy. Our kids invited some friends over and I ended up doing burgers and dog for nine. Cooking off the tailgate worked great and a lot safer with a couple of toddlers around. We really had a great time.

Back