What's on your grilling and smoking menu for the Fourth of July Weekend?

Fridge in the basement started biting the dust on Saturday it was 25 years old. The plan was pork tenderloin on the Performer which was in another freezer but we had a whole chicken that had started to defrost so now its a whole chicken on the Performer. We were fortunate did not have a lot of stuff in the old one some steaks which we used up Saturday night.
Way to go with the flow that won't be a bad cook at all for the 4th.

Last edited:
I am going whole Picanha and chicken breast on the WSM without the water pan. Cubed potatoes on the kettle and maybe, hopefully sweet biscuits on the kettle to make strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

Keepin' it simple....we're going to a couple of parties!
For the first time, in a long time, I'm only cooking once, and it's going to be for our son and his girlfriend.
T-Bones, Chipotle bean salad, corn on the cob and shrimp.
Easy peasy!

Breaking in a new huge grill (burn-in will be 2 16lb bags of Kingsford briquettes Thursday morning,) probably simple things like burgers and steaks. Maybe a few good dogs.

Hrrrrm...... something I have not made in a very long time..... grill roasted chicken over a bed of mushroom & leek stuffing (see Cook's Illustrated.) Make stuffing, put it in a tinfoil pan and drape the spatchcocked bird over it so it catches all of the goodness. It's a good idea to double the stuffing, it's just that GOOD.
Well, plans got changed.... buddy ended up with some "opportunities" and I'm in the middle of a 1,200+ mile round trip. Looks like steaks on the classic Weber kettle at his place.

Ya'll stay safe out there.

So actually my 3rd fridge croaking was a nice holiday gift. Instead of 3 freezers with junk we will never eat down to 2 so the wife needs to be a little bit more diligent on what she actually puts in them. Was not all bad my daughter shot a deer last year gave almost all of it away since we don't eat deer meat. Again the stuff was not fully defrosted in the old fridge found a few cryovac packages of deer burger meat or whatever you call it my friend which we texted took almost all of the the sausuge and tenderloins last year he came over right away and took that making chili out of it.

Happy 4th of July everybody, pork tenderloin moved to tommorrow on the Performer and the deer meat guy is coming over with his wife. :)

Last night we had Nathan's skinless franks (very appropriate for the 4th and the store had a BOGO), tonight we're having cowboy ribeyes and pasta salad (older daughter and her kids are coming over), and tomorrow will be a couple of chiken leg quarters grilled COMY (Chicken Of My Youth) style (grilled direct and slathered with sauce).

Cooking with gas (no choice in that) going to Roti a whole chicken on the E320, which I haven't done in years. Using the Huli Huli recipe, green beans and another side to be determined.
Grilled peaches and ice cream to finish up.
Just Barb and me and the two pups.
Rich - Post your results back on that thread as this is on my to cook list in the not so distant future. Thanks

Thanks.

I'm doing the hybrid smoker/oven cook. Since it's wrapped it went into the oven - the kitchen smells wonderful.

Just waiting for probe tender to rest before serving.
Got to my target temp with probe soft confirmation.

Still wrapped but now resting....will post a full report after. This'll be like unwrapping a Xmas present - can't wait!

Rich - Post your results back on that thread as this is on my to cook list in the not so distant future. Thanks
Joe, We went from the chicken to ribs and now to quick burgers. Barb has to work until 6:30 so we cancelled the long cooks.
Hopefully get to the chicken mid week doing the ribs tomorrow because they are already defrosted and Barb is off. I'll post the chicken and let you know.

Back