What's on your grilling and smoking menu for the Fourth of July Weekend?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
We are having a few family members over on Saturday, and they have requested simple burgers and dogs. So I am going smash burgers, dogs, and brats! Sides: smoked beans, pasta salad, and potato salad. I want to get a Kettle Pizza Day in there, maybe on the actually fourth with just the fam. Then I have off Monday and I think we are going to have some friends over so got to figure out that menu. I am leaning towards the last piece of meat from my father's day present a prime Picanha and some chicken, but not 100% sure yet.
So what's on your grilling and smoking menu for the Fourth of July Weekend?

Last edited:
I'm smoking a rack of whole spares on the Masterbuilt 560 and a rack on the Franklin stick burner, for comparison. And I'm also putting a rack of Duroc whole spares on the Franklin, for comparison purpose with the commodity spares.

Cooking with gas (no choice in that) going to Roti a whole chicken on the E320, which I haven't done in years. Using the Huli Huli recipe, green beans and another side to be determined.
Grilled peaches and ice cream to finish up.
Just Barb and me and the two pups.

As of this writing, I have no clue! I might come to your house Michael! With all those delights I’m sure I can be unnoticed!

Last edited:
Barbacoa and al pastor tacos with homemade salsa verde, pico and guac.
My vertical skewer arrived in the mail yesterday, all set to go.
2 hour smoked beef cheeks and then braising them in broth, onion hot sauce or something like that until very tender, more so than brisket from what I have read. Something like 210 will let the cheeks pull nicely....I could be wrong thou....YIKES!
The al pastor tacos I just plan to find a nice 3 pound cut, something with fat in it like a shoulder and slice it thin, stack it up and smoke till 145 degrees or so......

Served with cilantro and diced onion of course........
Also making a smoked queso dip to go with it. Refer to the queso thread if you haven't seen it.
Nacho chips, with gauc and queso is the side to the tacos.
Still going to Michael's????

:LOL:

I'm smoking a rack of whole spares on the Masterbuilt 560 and a rack on the Franklin stick burner, for comparison. And I'm also putting a rack of Duroc whole spares on the Franklin, for comparison purpose with the commodity spares.
I am looking forward to your results on this one and now you have me wanting to go find a rack of ribs for Monday's cooks! I am not looking at add a bbq right now, but if I did I would really be looking at the gravity feeders.

Last edited:
Barbacoa and al pastor tacos with homemade salsa verde, pico and guac.
My vertical skewer arrived in the mail yesterday, all set to go.
2 hour smoked beef cheeks and then braising them in broth, onion hot sauce or something like that until very tender, more so than brisket from what I have read. Something like 210 will let the cheeks pull nicely....I could be wrong thou....YIKES!
The al pastor tacos I just plan to find a nice 3 pound cut, something with fat in it like a shoulder and slice it thin, stack it up and smoke till 145 degrees or so......
I have reffed an adult Hispanic soccer league off and on for the last 20 years. They always have an amazing food stand that you can buy food from. This is where my love of tacos started. The best ever are beef cheeks! Good luck, I have never cooked them. Al Pastor is on my short list to be done in the next month. I am going to use my rotisserie and do the meat the "wrong" way, but I am still really excited to attempt this cook in the next few weeks.
That is a killer menu and I can't want to see the results!

Okay, maybe I’ll have to stop at your place to Darryl!
Served with cilantro and diced onion of course........
Also making a smoked queso dip to go with it. Refer to the queso thread if you haven't seen it.
Nacho chips, with gauc and queso is the side to the tacos.
Still going to Michael's????

:LOL:
What’s the music of choice?
My 15 year old runs the music most of the time in my house, but she does a great job of keeping a great mix. So all you need to do is give me what you like before hand and she will add it to the mix. You may have to do the cooking if you come over though, because I think I am going to Darryl's house! :giggle:

What’s the music of choice?
Lots of excellent rock music from the 60's and 70's
Probably some Clapton, Dead, Neil Young, CCR, Zeppelin, maybe some good old Cooper..........sneak in some Willy too?????
Usually just what is requested is what comes on.
I have about 800 LP's so the selection is good.

It would appear as though now its a competition on who's house to visit...... ;)

Now I have to cook extra because Michael and the gang are coming too!

Me and a good friend are going to try for a 4th of July brisket throwdown. We both have 18WSMs and hope to find some primes at Costco on Thursday. The trash talking has already begun - which makes it all good.

Music? I'm thinking either blues or southern rock or both. (y)

Last edited:
Me and a good friend are going to try for a 4th of July brisket throwdown. We both have 18WSMs and hope to find some primes at Costco on Thursday. The trash taking has already begun - which makes it all good.

Music? I'm thinking either blues or southern rock or both. (y)
Brisket overnight on Friday and then wings and burgers on Sunday! Should be a great weekend.
Brisket🤤 Two Briskets🤤🤤 Brisket and wings🤤🤤🤤

Last edited:

Back