What's cookin' for WSM Smoke Day 17?

Seeing that I sold my 18.5 WSM and the charcoal restrictions go into effect May 1st this year Barb and I probably won't participate this year. But if I was going too smoke something I've always done my annual brisket on smoke day and that's what I would do.

Gonna try a reverse sear on some prime ribeyes using a WSM. Smoke to 130° @ 250°, then directly over the coals for a fatty fire sear.
Wonner,
I love cooking beef this way. Start on the WSM (or kettle with my diffuser system) at 250 and then to the kettle with some screaming hot charcoal (usually lump) to sear either over the fire or on the lodge CI griddle.
Here are two of my goes at this.

The only mistake I made on both cookswas a little too long on the sear and internal temps ended a touch hight then I wanted, but not by much and the eating experience was not effected.

The only part of your plan that I wanted to highlight is taking it to 130 on the slow/smoke before the sear. Unless you like you steaks well done, I am worried that may be to high when you go to the sear. I like to take most my rib eyes and tri tips I do this was to 110 (I took the big rib eye to 120 because it was Soo thick) and then I like to pull them from the Sear between 130 and 133. The two links where pulled closer to 138-139. If you go low/slow to 130 and then fo get that sear, I think you will end up in the 140 or above.
Good luck!
Michael

Gonna try a reverse sear on some prime ribeyes using a WSM. Smoke to 130° @ 250°, then directly over the coals for a fatty fire sear.
Thick prime ribeyes (1-1/2”+) are great reverse seared. If you smoke to 130, you’ll get a medium-well to well-done result. Smoking to 115 will give you medium-rare.
Jeff

I plan (subject to change) to hang a few racks of ribs. I also plan a "make your own pizza" session with my grandchildren, but probably not the same day. I have a dedicated kettle with a PizzaQue that I have been wanting to use for over a year.
Love my PizzaQue

I just got a Vortex for my 22.5" kettle, so I'm doing wings for sure. If the weather permits, I have a half of a prime brisket I may smoke on my 18.5" WSM. Unfortunately the forecast shows a high chance of rain Saturday - Monday. I don't have a covered cook area, so rain can really take the fun out of a long cook.

Back