Single bone Rib Eye Roast

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was inspired by this great cook from Bruno below.

So I got myself a 3 lb single bone Rib Eye Roast hand cut for me by my butcher buddy. Trying to follow Bruno's lead. First layer was the all purpose seasoning I had on hand, then a nice coating of Canre Crosta.
IMG_20210124_141954.jpg
IMG_20210124_142002.jpg
Let that sit in the frig for a few hours before I started a 5 briquette minion method on kettle using my new diffuser system and my WSM 14 charcoal ring and one small piece of Pecan wood.
IMG_20210124_142007.jpg
Had a little snafu, the air temp probe fell out of its holder and was reading the temps of the metal grates not the air and when I figured this out temps were much higher than I wanted, with a good bit of work got it back down to 275 for the cook.IMG_20210124_141941.jpg
Just under 2 hours later it hit 120 and I took it off to rest to get the reverse sear going with a load of lump. Here it is as I pulled it at 120.
IMG_20210124_154948.jpgIMG_20210124_154954.jpg
Used the vortex large side up as a searing center and it worked great. IMG_20210124_181113.jpg
I pinned the nettle on the lid and put it right over the fire.
IMG_20210124_181153.jpgIMG_20210124_181123.jpg
Flipped it a few times and I pulled it at 133.IMG_20210124_181134.jpgIMG_20210124_181145.jpgIMG_20210124_181200.jpg
Finished up the sides during the rest. IMG_20210124_181032.jpg
Cut
IMG_20210124_181039.jpg
Ready for service.
IMG_20210124_181044.jpg
And plated.
IMG_20210124_181051.jpg
No leftovers, everyone except my oldest daughter had at least some (also made some grilled chicken in Greek marinate, not shown here). My niece would not stop eating the steak, she loved the crust. My youngest daughter and I eat way too much. It was fantastic, just wish I pulled it at 129 when I probed it a minute earlier then I did. Today I learned being seared at such high heat the carryover was more then past reverse sear cooks. Thanks for the inspiration Bruno!

Hmmm, isn't a single bone ribeye roast just a big steak??? :) Ok, I get it, 3lbs is a bit much for one...... Great looking cook, Michael! I wouldn't have been able to stop eating it either! :)

R

Hmmm, isn't a single bone ribeye roast just a big steak??? :) Ok, I get it, 3lbs is a bit much for one...... Great looking cook, Michael! I wouldn't have been able to stop eating it either! :)

R
I called it "the steak" in my last bit of writing.😃 It was one of the largest single pieces of beef I have cooked. I have never done a prime rib or anything like that so this was my first stab or entry into a cook like that.
Rich, what should be next that is a little bigger?

I called it "the steak" in my last bit of writing.😃 It was one of the largest single pieces of beef I have cooked. I have never done a prime rib or anything like that so this was my first stab or entry into a cook like that.
Rich, what should be next that is a little bigger?
That's easy.....a 2-bone rib roast!! :) Ever done a rack of pork? You get awesome loin slices, and, if you crisp things up well, some of the most delicious loin ribs you'll ever eat! If that's not big enough, get two, tie them together into a circle, and you have a crown roast of pork. If you need to stick with beef......a whole tenderloin, a strip roast (same thing as rib roast, but New Yorks)..... Bone-in leg of lamb? So many options, my friend, you just need a good butcher or two.... :)

R

That's easy.....a 2-bone rib roast!! :) Ever done a rack of pork? You get awesome loin slices, and, if you crisp things up well, some of the most delicious loin ribs you'll ever eat! If that's not big enough, get two, tie them together into a circle, and you have a crown roast of pork. If you need to stick with beef......a whole tenderloin, a strip roast (same thing as rib roast, but New Yorks)..... Bone-in leg of lamb? So many options, my friend, you just need a good butcher or two.... :)

R
Nope, never done a rack of pork, but I like the idea of that. So is that what I need to look for "a rack of pork" or is it known by another name? How big, how many bones? Any insight so I can dive in, you know I am up for it. Thanks as always Rich.

Yep, it's called a rack of pork. Or, you might see it as a bone-in pork loin......since that's what it is. Pork loin, with the rib bones still attached. If you get a full one, it's probably 7 bones, but I get half racks at my local place that are either 3 or 4 bones. My Costco carries them during the holidays, sometimes around Easter, and occasionally, they just show up at random. Good stuff!

1611548572663.png

Yep, it's called a rack of pork. Or, you might see it as a bone-in pork loin......since that's what it is. Pork loin, with the rib bones still attached. If you get a full one, it's probably 7 bones, but I get half racks at my local place that are either 3 or 4 bones. My Costco carries them during the holidays, sometimes around Easter, and occasionally, they just show up at random. Good stuff!

View attachment 21777
OK, I am on it. I will be working on securing a 3 to 4 bone rack of pork, then I will check back in on how to prepare it!

That looks absolutely amazing, Michael! Great cook and awesome pics. Looks like your new toy is working well.
Yeah I really do love the new system. Using the WSM 14 charcoal ring really worked well, I am really thinking about adding a WSM 22 charcoal ring for this set up.

Tasty steak! I have two too cook tonight! I hope they turn out as good as yours!

Tasty steak! I have two too cook tonight! I hope they turn out as good as yours!
Thanks Case, the one shot I got reminded me of a Picanha you did on the Smokey Joe almost a year ago where the fire was all around it. I hope your come out perfect, don't leave them one a min too long like I did!

Looks good, my biggest worry is over cooking the beef. You may remember the 2 inch tomahawk I did for new years. Anything bigger than that won't go too crazy with temp increase while resting......I keep that 2 inch theory in my head. Basically a nice 1 inch thick steak will go up at least 5 degrees while resting, beef turns from flesh to cooked at about that 128 129 range....I like to pull for the sear about 110 but my tastes are to have it as rare as possible while still being fully cooked. It still goes up in temp while building blue hot coals for the sear. The sear BTW was very well done, I know that crosta likes the heat. The MRS is always scared so she tries for medium rare but she loves it when it hits the plate around that 130 mark.

Outstanding job there Michael. At that lid temperature it's no wonder you got such a fabulous crust. The plate looks very inviting....... and delicious.

Last edited:
Looks good, my biggest worry is over cooking the beef. You may remember the 2 inch tomahawk I did for new years. Anything bigger than that won't go too crazy with temp increase while resting......I keep that 2 inch theory in my head. Basically a nice 1 inch thick steak will go up at least 5 degrees while resting, beef turns from flesh to cooked at about that 128 129 range....I like to pull for the sear about 110 but my tastes are to have it as rare as possible while still being fully cooked. It still goes up in temp while building blue hot coals for the sear. The sear BTW was very well done, I know that crosta likes the heat. The MRS is always scared so she tries for medium rare but she loves it when it hits the plate around that 130 mark.
Darryl,
Thanks for those insights. I don't do a lot of beef so I keep learning on the fly. I have another TT to be cooked, and I am going to try to get the grill red hot again and pull it at 129 what do you think?

Outstanding job there Michael. At that lid temperature it's no wonder you got such a fabulous crust. The plate looks very inviting....... and delicious.
Thanks Cliff! That crust was the best part! I hope to keep trying to mastering the high heat, the crust, and get that internal temps right. Always a learning curve/process.

Darryl,
Thanks for those insights. I don't do a lot of beef so I keep learning on the fly. I have another TT to be cooked, and I am going to try to get the grill red hot again and pull it at 129 what do you think?
If you can manage to get the timing right where you have red hot coals, maybe a new chimney ready to go and you can get that sear on there and done the way you want and are able to get that pulled of the heat at 129 it's going to come out good.
I rarely check the temp again after my sear. I just know that with a thick steak I can sear at about 110, I set the probe to 110. Make sure it's seared right and take it of and loosely cover with foil for 5 to 10 minutes it comes out rare to medium rare. I eat my beef anywhere from medium to rare, the wife prefers it closer to medium so that is me theory on how to get it where we need it.

Back