What you cooking for the Fourth of July Weekend?

That’s beautiful! Every time and I mean EVERY time I try one, they are like freaking shoe leather! My wife’s preference for well done not withstanding. I don’t feel like I’m over cooking it, I’ll take a piece to “over kill” for her
I just have lousy luck with them, next time I’ll cook it, pretty rare maybe chill it down a bit and then just slice it for roast beef sandwiches.

That’s beautiful! Every time and I mean EVERY time I try one, they are like freaking shoe leather! My wife’s preference for well done not withstanding. I don’t feel like I’m over cooking it, I’ll take a piece to “over kill” for her
I just have lousy luck with them, next time I’ll cook it, pretty rare maybe chill it down a bit and then just slice it for roast beef sandwiches.
Tim Cook it like a brisket😎

St. Louis Pork Steak for the wife and I to share, Cauliflower mash, and pickled Beets. Seared the Pork Steak 4 minutes per side at 600, dropped the temp to 250, and waited. With an outside air temp of 91, it only too 15 minutes to get to 600. Put the Pork in a covered foil pan with Apple Juice and BBQ sauce and braised it for 2 hours. My wife likes very tender and that's what she got plus she didn't need more BBQ sauce. It tasted pretty darn good. We're trying to cut down on her Potatoes so I'm working on a Cauliflower Mash recipe. Getting close.7-4-22 Pork Steak Searing.jpg

We cooked Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans according to the recipe. We found ourselves with such so much beans that we deferred the steak for another evening. We liked Keri's beans, but we would say "very good, not great." We will cut the recipe in half and make it again sometime. Perhaps we succumbed to the hype from the people who are so enthusiastic about it. Recipe:
https://tvwbb.com/threads/keris-hog-apple-baked-beans.21966/

How we prepared our version of Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans:
We used a 12 oz package of Great Value (Walmart) "premium sausage links", KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, and an Urban Outfitters "Texas" rub that was a gift to us. We used only 1 teaspoon of cayenne, and the next time we will cut down to 1/2 teaspoon. Our cayenne was fresh (dried cayenne from the store, recently purchased) and the beans turned out okay. We ruled out plans to share half with my mother-in-law; it would have been too spicy for her. We cooked the sausage first, then the bacon, and finally the onions and green pepper, which practically floated in the bacon fat. I removed and "drained" the cooked onions and green peppers with a slotted spatula. Some of the bacon fat went along with the onions and peppers into the beans. We could have drained them with a colander or patted them with paper towels, but we assumed that the recipe expected some bacon fat. It was thick, not runny when we first mixed it together, so we baked it with the lid on the pot. The grill thermometer temperature was 325 for 50 minutes with the pot lid on, then a final 10 minutes with the pot lid off.

Photos:
  • Bacon cooking on griddle. You need only a few pieces, so the rest of the bacon will become BLT (and avocado) sandwiches some other day this week.
  • Dutch oven for beans. We are proud of our World Champion LA Dodgers. (Actually, my partner and her family are Angels fans, and we bought the Dodgers pot about a year ago from a closeout sale.)
  • Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans, cooked per the recipe.
P.S. The blueberry/cherry pie was delicious, too. Served warm, a la mode with vanilla bean ice cream.

Bacon on the Griddle.JPG Beans Ready to Cook.JPG Keris Beans.JPG

Last edited:
We cooked the ribeye steak tonight instead of last night. We tried the Urban Outfitters Texas rub we opened last night. We also tried the sear burner for the first time. I seared first - one minute each side, then 30 seconds on 90 degree sides, then flipped to the low burner. By the time I ran inside, got the thermometer, and checked the middle, the internal temp was already 160, so I stopped cooking immediately. After a 5 minute rest under foil, we had medium well steak instead of medium rare. It was still tender and very tasty.

Lesson learned: One minute + 30 seconds per side on the sear burner is too long. I may try low heat then shorter sear, saving the sear for the end the next time.

I didn't cook anything. However, I did TEACH my daughter's boyfriend how to properly cook a New York strip, from start to finish. I was just thankful he was willing to learn. He slow smoked 3 prime steaks from Costco at 250F on my 14" WSM. Then we pulled off the top and middle sections of the WSM and placed the top grill on the charcoal ring to sear the steaks. It was one of the best steaks I have not cooked. Better yet, I'm hoping he now has a lifetime to keep practicing and teaching others how to cook a steak and use a chimney.

I am cooking up a lot of things.
And it is the GF birthday weekend.
So my plan is to cook up a scheme where ..
We send her mom and friends to new york for a week.
Excellent.

It is amazing how fast a week goes by. Maybe two weeks or a month next time.

Ps. For any if you who do not regularly drop people off at the airport at 345am on a sunday morning, it is very dangerous.

Ps. For any if you who do not regularly drop people off at the airport at 345am on a sunday morning, it is very dangerous.
O'Hare, or Midway? Early Sunday flights were never a problem for me when I lived outside of Chicago. Then again..... when I was flying down to Houston, my employer royally <BEEEP>ed me off, and I told 'em that I would no longer fly on the weekends, my sole concession would be first flight on Monday, and a late flight on Friday. You can accept my terms, or I walk immediately (division was being shut down, they could not afford to lose me.)

O'Hare, or Midway? Early Sunday flights were never a problem for me when I lived outside of Chicago. Then again..... when I was flying down to Houston, my employer royally <BEEEP>ed me off, and I told 'em that I would no longer fly on the weekends, my sole concession would be first flight on Monday, and a late flight on Friday. You can accept my terms, or I walk immediately (division was being shut down, they could not afford to lose me.)

Midway.
The airport was jammed.
The streets were dangerous

Back