What is the BEST BBQ Forum?

Congrats on your 3K Neil!
Thanks Bob, you of course are in the class with Jim. Sorry to say most of my posts are congrats instead of pics but it sure is nice to see so much good food and nice folks sharing it for others to learn from.

Good people here who act like I was raised, old school, respectful and courteous. That is why this is MY forum of choice. Thank you Chris and thank you all of the members.

Well, I appreciate all these kind comments about what we've created here. I don't like to knock others or other forums. I truly believe there's a time and place for just about everything. A G-rated forum like this one is cool and I think appeals to the widest possible audience, but if you prefer something a bit more rough around the edges, there are other forums like that you can enjoy. And the good news is you don't have to pledge allegiance to just to one forum, you can participate in multiple forums.

I think of it like this: Some guys get rowdy at the honky-tonk bar on Saturday night, then wake up Sunday morning, get cleaned up and attend church. It's not one or the other, it's both. Both are a part of who they are and what they do. The same can be true with barbecue forums. (Just make sure to not mix-up your behavior between the honky-tonk and the church. Same with forums.)

I have fun at all of the forums myself. Same thing at the cook offs some of the crazies get first place and next weekend the quiet serious team get first place.

Last edited:
First off great reply Chris. As always your words are very well thought out. Also glad to see that you respect the other BBQ sites that are not moderated. As a American I have never been intimidated by freedoms that all of us enjoy. If there is a thread that is offensive to me I just go on to the next thread. It just doesn't bother me. I'm just a little more thick skinned than most. You run a GREAT site that respects everyone. And once again I have ordered my smoke day t-shirt & magnet like I do every year. Just trying to get better @ BBQ'n. Life is guud!

I recently ran into the same sort of snarkiness on a popular pizza making forum. I thought I was going to join there to learn more about making pizza. A day after my intro post, I noticed a bazillion folks viewed the post but no one commented. No welcome aboard, nice to have you, KMA, nothing. I was the first to reply to my initial post a cpls days later commenting that so many people viewed the post but no one replied. Well the gates of hell broke loose then. Everyone on the forum seemed to have plenty to say about me expecting to be welcomed, my neediness, the members being too busy to drop everything to say hello, etc, etc. LOL It was so ironically amazing that they took the time and effort to raise Cain but not to say Hello. LOL I'm still shakin my head and laughing about it. I cxled that forum membership with the quickness. I don't need to be a part of that negativity.

There's been a lot of smoke run thru my WSM (s) and Kettles since this post. I've taken far more than I have given from TVWBB and TVWB. I've won a few Throwdowns and drawings, received great advice and ideas, and had the chance to do some cooking I probably otherwise would not have. This site has made me a better backyard grillin, weekend warrior. That's because of the folks here.

Of course Chris runs the place in a way that some folks disagree with. Folks come and go. ...but I think the way he runs it is the reason we don't have the kind of craziness you see elsewhere on the 'net like in Jim's example. Good on you Chris A. ...and members of TVWBB. You done good.

Last edited:
Dwain, that's a great post about an unfortunate experience. This is the only BBQ forum I've joined because it is so helpful and accommodating without the sarcasm. We have great members here, and when something happens that might be leaning towards negativity Chris takes care of it with diplomacy and efficiency. That's why "I love it here!!"!

Also, CONGRATS ON YOUR 5000th POST!!! And a great post it was for the landmark!

I recently ran into the same sort of snarkiness on a popular pizza making forum. I thought I was going to join there to learn more about making pizza. A day after my intro post, I noticed a bazillion folks viewed the post but no one commented. No welcome aboard, nice to have you, KMA, nothing. I was the first to reply to my initial post a cpls days later commenting that so many people viewed the post but no one replied. Well the gates of hell broke loose then. Everyone on the forum seemed to have plenty to say about me expecting to be welcomed, my neediness, the members being too busy to drop everything to say hello, etc, etc. LOL It was so ironically amazing that they took the time and effort to raise Cain but not to say Hello. LOL I'm still shakin my head and laughing about it. I cxled that forum membership with the quickness. I don't need to be a part of that negativity.

There's been a lot of smoke run thru my WSM (s) and Kettles since this post. I've taken far more than I have given from TVWBB and TVWB. I've won a few Throwdowns and drawings, received great advice and ideas, and had the chance to do some cooking I probably otherwise would not have. This site has made me a better backyard grillin, weekend warrior. That's because of the folks here.

Of course Chris runs the place in a way that some folks disagree with. Folks come and go. ...but I think the way he runs it is the reason we don't have the kind of craziness you see elsewhere on the 'net like in Jim's example. Good on you Chris A. ...and members of TVWBB. You done good.

I joined a BBQ forum a few months ago.... Everyone was great the members were awesome. But the moderators didn't like me or what I cooked.

Was reprimanded twice because my post had "no real info" and my choice of pics were "offensive "

The post were exactly what I post here. Just did a copy and paste.

Then I was firmly warned that my last post was already posted and it was a similar cook from last time and nothing substantial was added to the forum. I was not to post and "troll" for followers. I posted a link to my Instagram and they didn't like that.

Needless to say I stepped away.

Love this place.

Last edited:
I joined a BBQ forum a few months ago.... Everyone was great the members were awesome. But the moderators didn't like me or what I cooked.

Was reprimanded twice because my post had "no real info" and my choice of pics were "offensive "

The post were exactly what I post here. Just did a copy and paste.

Then I was firmly warned that my last post was already posted and it was a similar cook from last time and nothing substantial was added to the forum. I was not to post and "troll" for followers. I posted a link to my Instagram and they didn't like that.

Needless to say I stepped away.

Love this place.

That's amazing, because you're easily one of the top posters on this board. I hate when mods are so heavy-handed.

Do not take my illusions ...
I hoped all Americans are like people here in this forum:(
OK, then it's the same as here in our country:rolleyes:
I was very lucky when I found this place. Thanks Chris and thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Of course Chris runs the place in a way that some folks disagree with. Folks come and go. ...but I think the way he runs it is the reason we don't have the kind of craziness you see elsewhere on the 'net like in Jim's example.
And I would acknowledge that I've not always gotten it right over the past 15 years. But I try to learn from my mistakes and do better next time. :smilekettle:

I joined another BBQ forum just for grunts and giggles a few years back. WOW,what a difference! I never posted anything and pretty quickly never went back. This is by far the friendliest forum. I've described it to some fellow grillers I've met in my travels and have told them that it's a G rated forum. Go PG-13 if you dare and I really wouldn't go R at all!

I've noticed were getting a lot of new members and they seem to fit right in with the friendly style this forum has. My guess is those are folks who have been just observing how this forum works and like what they see and join. Which to me says a lot about the forum members and the way Chris runs it and who it attracts.

Wow! All I can say is THANKS Chris! You set a wonderful tone for this forum!
I value the positivity and civility shown on this forum. It should be about helping others. I'm a real novice, but it makes me happy when I can sometimes share some pertinent info, that helps someone else with their cook. Do unto others, because I'm going to need help at times also.

I feel like I get all the stuff I care to read about here at TVWBB. The content of TVWBB is so well organized that I don't feel compelled to even take the time to read other BBQ forums, let alone participate in them.

There's a green egg store in my town, I go by it when I go to the Farmer's Market. I always poke my head in and say "where's the real BBQ's?" I get a funny look so I add "you know...The Webers." :)

I've noticed were getting a lot of new members and they seem to fit right in with the friendly style this forum has. My guess is those are folks who have been just observing how this forum works and like what they see and join. Which to me says a lot about the forum members and the way Chris runs it and who it attracts.

That's what I did Rich.

Stood in the shadows & read a shed load of info for quite a while, and got a "feel" for the place and its members. :D

I'm glad I did. Great members, no snobbery towards new users, like me, of the WSM & always ready with helpful advice. :cool::wsm22:

Civility costs nothing, & manners maketh a man........ & ladies of course. :)

Thanks Chris and all you fine people on here! I have learned a lot from the postings and just love the roadside chicken recipe. It is so good! Thanks again nice folks for making me a much better smoker!

Back