What is everyone's favorite charcoal?

I’m willing to try B&B but, I have not really been looking hard.
Saw Cowboy briquettes at Costco last week but, for some reason, I didn’t get any.
Both are good. Cowboy has a pronounced oak flavor on their Hardwood coal version. The B&B is slightly milder in oak when compared. I found the B&B doesn’t fight other flavors when you add them, say apple or cherry, whereas Cowboy does throw more oak flavor out into a protein (this was on ribs and beef).

Kxxx products tend to be more neutral in flavor. But they produce more ash, from my experience. I’m sure someone would disagree since fuel source generates a lot of replies these days 😆. Just my $0.01 worth.

Regardless of the flavor produced from B & B or Cowboy, these two produce a much longer burn time coupled with significantly less ash compared to Kingsford products.

I am not super picky but B&B is great stuff for the money, also jealous devil worked great....hard to justify the price though...ive used a ton of different brands....some of the cheaper lump seems to have odd ball debris in it sometimes

I wouldn't count on Costco having that in stock now. The charcoal pallets that they have out for Labor Day Weekend are usually the last ones until they restock in spring. So when those are gone, that's it until they restock.
My Costco did have a lot of Traeger pellets left in stock. No coal though. Hopefully my 400#s last me a bit.

cooking with jealous devil for the first time tonight. It looked good loading up the komodo. I was having a hard time getting the temp to settle down but it's now doing nicely at 220F.

cooking with jealous devil for the first time tonight. It looked good loading up the komodo. I was having a hard time getting the temp to settle down but it's now doing nicely at 220F.
My last two cooks were with the JD. Very happy with it. Clean flavor and very low ash. And VERY hot. It seared my salmon perfectly. The JD looked like ice cubes when it was fully lit.

I just got an e-mail from B&B saying that Ace Hardware internet sales should have B&B products even if the local store doesn't have what you want. They admitted there is somewhat of a charcoal shortage but it's more of a distribution problem than a production problem.
Some Ace stores get their resupply shipment once a week, if you know when that day is you can order 1-2 days ahead. Also, some Aces are cheaper than others.

My Costco did have a lot of Traeger pellets left in stock. No coal though. Hopefully my 400#s last me a bit.
I thought that about my Costco too, but I went back to where they store bulk items like water softener salt and dog food, and they had k-pro 2 x 20lbs for $20.

I just picked up a bag of Fogo Premium All Natural Oak Hardwood Lump Charcoal from Ace, I have never used it. I had a bunch of points and some where going to expire so I got an 8.8 lb bag for $0.59. I am going to save it for searing and high heat cooking. I am looking forward to searing some steaks on my Smoky Joe with Fogo Lump when my new KillaGrilla grates comes it. Also picked up 4 bags of Cowboy Briquets from Tractor Supply. I have done my last two cooks with the Cowboy, I really do love that stuff.

I've frequently used BGE lump, BBQ Galore (store brand) Mesquite, Fogo Premium lump, Royal Oak oak lump. I steer clear of any charcoal from Cowboy.

I don't use brickettes. They use clay as a binder and the "ash" is mostly the unburnt clay. Lump leaves a fraction of the ash brickettes leave.

I occasionally look at this website for information on charcoals.

Damn, all these years of using briquettes & I now hear there full of clay....shazam, I must like the taste of clay!

Seriously - I'd just like to see a list of charcoal that is made in the USA. I'm pretty sure KF, RO, Rockwood, and Humphrey's are all made in the USA. Not sure about other brands. Seeing lots of positive comments on Cowboy Briqs, I may have to give that a try for my next bag of briqs. Still a fan of KF Pro, and Rockwood Lump.

Seriously - I'd just like to see a list of charcoal that is made in the USA. I'm pretty sure KF, RO, Rockwood, and Humphrey's are all made in the USA. Not sure about other brands. Seeing lots of positive comments on Cowboy Briqs, I may have to give that a try for my next bag of briqs. Still a fan of KF Pro, and Rockwood Lump.
My last few cooks have been JD XL and it’s some of the cleanest burning lump and hottest fires I’ve ever had. Low residue, clean smoke and a great heat source. It made some damn good homemade ground Chuck burgers.

For Grilling I am now using Kingsford Matchlight or various Costa Rican/South American Charcoal and for Smoking Kingsford Blue Bag.

Attachments

• oFtrNpKtS2uAgjRSxzZQXA.jpg
    oFtrNpKtS2uAgjRSxzZQXA.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Kjq1WginRs2msLvq%5ZIrA.jpg
    Kjq1WginRs2msLvq%5ZIrA.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1

Back