What are you cooking on Labor Day weekend?

Might have to break out the 26R and do some High Heat BB Ribs, it's been awhile...if not whatever looks good when i'm shopping.

I'm going to do giant turkey legs twice.

First time this weekend, I'm doing the "easy method" used by some BBQ restaurants and festivals -- buying 1.75 – 2 pound smoked turkey legs from Farm Pac and essentially reheating & adding smoke flavor in the WSM. Kind of like buying pre-smoked, pre-cooked sausages and heating them in the WSM.

At a future date, I want to acquire fresh, uncooked giant turkey legs and brining/smoking them. No idea what recipe I'll use for them at this time.

OK, Chris that is exactly why I asked, my butcher buddy was talking about only being able to get precooked ones and that baffled me. He even said it's just like a ham and I said on a turkey. I will be watching for your results/review.

I plan on Prime chuck short ribs from Creekstone Farms.
Ordered last Friday, came today in a cool cow box, still frozen solid.
Waiting on some Berkshire chops from here in Missouri. Might try their shorthorn beef next.
Luebbering Shorthorn Farm

View attachment 13186

View attachment 13187

View attachment 13188
My Creekstone short ribs just arrived about an hour ago! I made these back on Father's Day and they turned out great. But I put this batch in the freezer since I'm already planning to grill Costco's prime NY strip steaks on Sunday :)

Although It is not a Holiday here in Costa Rica I plan to join you guys hopefully with a savory repeat of Chicken Legs,Char-Roasted Potatoes and Costa Rican Chorizos.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I also found a brisket in the freezer. It’s an 8.93 lb point cut from Autumn’s Harvest Farm that I purchased through Crowd Cow. Was supposed to make it into burnt ends in May with my accountant from Michigan, but obviously he didn’t make it in. Labor Day weekend looks like a perfect time for it!

No idea, would love to do a brisket but all the family is afraid of the virus, me and the wife just got over it but the grand kids missed 3 weeks of school because their mom got it also. may not cook nothing, need to loose some weight I have pu during all this mess. reckon I wont starve 1 way or the other. 1 day I will find some fresh turkey legs they don't want a stupid amount of $ for and I will cure and smoke them. Every body stay safe and have a great weekend, I have to work 6 days this week so I will get 2 days off at least

I’ve got a large boneless pork butt going on the wsm. Usually I do a 225 Mr. Brown. This time, a 275 Franklin style.

This Saturday, cooking some smash burgers at my buddy's lake house on his gas grill using my GrillGrates. He doesn't own a charcoal grill and it pains me. One day I will be gifting him a kettle.

Labor Day is also my youngest daughter's 3rd birthday and we are having people over....will be making some carne asada tacos on the Hunsaker griddle on my Performer!

See, you need a Jumbo Joe that you can take with you for these very moments. Currently I have a Smokey Joe Premium and a Go Anywhere Charcoal. I keep the Go Anywhere loaded with a gallon Ziploc bag of charcoal, a few firestarters, a lighter, and some tongs. I have it in my trunk usually so it's almost always with me. Maybe that makes me the ahole when I bust it out at someone else's house, but if they don't do charcoal then they deserve it. Lol

I bought a pork butt on sale before the madness. I was treating it like a frozen 401k for a while when it became as valuable as silver bullion, but now that prices are somewhat sane again, it is going on the WSM for a Chris Lilly recipe cook.

I have only been able to find brisket at one local store, and only the flat (to be honest, there is a local butcher that has it, but every time I think to go there, he's out). But yesterday I stopped in a different grocery, that has a great beer selection but is typically short on other items, and stumbled upon this marked at $2.99/pound.
y4mYFqNsiqA4vPI9OFY8N4N1mXCB8aaXhjj99umBl91VRmIK-Z3crUV5ZlOkTPbFmKCt2w3-mZqk3wipsH1w6CVs8GIAmxlPZrYDer_zklHdeOkrOqCiVrFJTXR1Gm7UfAoBXY-FopiFINnBMfynyaNiuicSNANvwgrraQTGjQO4vYqvg1rYDtezcAUO7kUk_2-gDlxfP5JlM0BXVFgnHTDMg

They had two, the other being about $56. It's only the four of us and two don't seem to eat more than half what I put on their plate, so I grabbed the smaller. Then at checkout, after punching in my wife's "rewards" number, the price for this dropped to $0.94 per pound. I almost went back and grabbed the other (I might stop by tonight and still do that).

I have smoked quite a few brisket flats, but never a point or whole packer. So first thing I did was watch a bunch of YouTube videos on how to trim and separate it. I trimmed it up, separated the point from the flat, put the flat in the freezer and have the point waiting in the fridge for tomorrow. Should be fun.

My wife also recently stumbled upon a rotisserie accessory for our oven in the new house (don't you love just finding cool things after moving in to a new house), so I picked up a whole chicken that we'll probably do Sunday or Monday. I've cooked whole birds in my dutch oven, but never use a rotisserie before; more YouTube I guess.

Not sure if we can here in Sonoma county. We are still under a spare the air alert and have been for 2 1/2 weeks. Should end tomorrow. Rotisserie chicken if air allows....

Back