Weber is best briquette

I've never noticed an odd smell with KBB myself, but I've only been using it for almost my entire life (I'm a young 56). Maybe it's because I'm just a newcomer? :)

I picked up a bag at Target today, but the cashier had to manually enter the correct price reduction.

I will try this briquette, exclusively, on my next smoke.

Last edited:
Weber charcoal is starting to get cleared out of some Target stores.
My check this morning shows 9 stores in my area have dropped it to $9.98 per bag.
Not sure how accurate brickseek is, and not sure if i should get a few bags now or wait to see if it goes lower, I do really like it, but not at a buck a pound.
Put in your zip code to check your area.
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=009-06-1387

All the targets in Arizona that have it in stock are showing $19.95

Lowe.s & Target are still full price around here. My local Home Depot doesn't stock it anymore.

Found a Charlotte location selling it for 5.98 a bag. That's about 30 cents a pound. 23 bags in stock.

Target
8830 Albemarle Rd
Charlotte, NC 28227-2616

I am more than happy with Kingsford Original. I buy in quantity when it's on sale. That's all I use these days!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Finally tried Weber charcoal, exclusively, in my 14.5" WSM, and I thought they did fairly well until a rainstorm hit us and knocked the temp down 100 degrees. (300° to 200°). I had problems getting the temp back up so I refueled the bowl with another 10 briquettes.

For what it's worth, I smoked two chickens (partial minion method - for lack of better words), including a few dogs and sausages. Foiled the water pan, but no H2O. Flavor-wise, the birds (organic) tasted very well, and so did the rest.

Not sure if these coals will last as long as some have said until I do a long butt smoke. I like the aroma though, and I can see myself stocking up on these if the price drops a bit more.

I'll be grilling burgers, tomorrow, so we'll see how hot the coals get.

I grabbed 10 bags at Target a few days ago- found it at $9.98 on clearance. I could easily get over double that- doesn't look like the store is sold out yet and there's a few others around at that price.

But I have enough that it's becoming a bit of a storage hassle. While I'd love to grab another 10, I doubt I will.

I did notice on my last cook that Weber has some not carbonized bits of wood that add some flavor to the meat. Keep that in mind when adding smoke wood.

I'll be grilling burgers, tomorrow, so we'll see how hot the coals get.

Grilled four 80/20 - 1/3 lb - burgers today with yesterday's leftover Weber coals (along with a few leftover Kingsford coals) which amounted to about 3/4 chimney load.

Took a while for the coals to fully ignite, but the heat output was excellent. The ground beef was pre-pattied (something I'm not too fond of), so I smashed them between two saucers to flatten them out a bit more. I forgot to oil the grill, and that, coupled with the heat, gave the burgers a crispy-like texture on the bottom (similar to smashed burgers). A little kosher salt was applied right after the patties hit the grill, and I flipped them after red juices began to appear on the tops.

At first, I thought I had overcooked the meat, but after the first bite, I could see a little pink. Everyone commented on how good these burgers were, and I concur. :)

I searched the brickseek website and grabbed four bags yesterday for $5.98 in Hurst, TX. They had to price adjust at the register but there were no issues. Thanks!

without reading alllll of the above, I will NEVER use Weber briquettes in the snake (or fuse) method again.
for general grilling, I like it.

without reading alllll of the above, I will NEVER use Weber briquettes in the snake (or fuse) method again.
for general grilling, I like it.

I could see that. Seems ok for minion but doesn't start as easy as kbb. Royal Oak seems so start just as slow. I haven't tried that for snake method.

Home Depot today had a huge stack of it, more on another pallet, marked down to $15 per bag.
Bet it goes lower yet to move it out.

Last edited:

Back