Throwdown #36: Sirloin Steak

I don't do these throwdown things but:

The sirloin steak is cut from the back of the animal.
In a common U.S. butchery, the steak is cut from the rear back portion of the animal, continuing off the short loin from which T-bone, porterhouse, and club steaks are cut. The sirloin is actually divided into several types of steak. The top sirloin is the most prized of these and is specifically marked for sale under that name. The bottom sirloin, which is less tender and much larger, is typically marked for sale simply as "sirloin steak". The bottom sirloin in turn connects to the sirloin tip roast.
In a common British, South African, and Australian butchery, the word sirloin refers to cuts of meat from the upper middle of the animal, similar to the American short loin, while the American sirloin is called the rump. Because of this difference in terminology, in these countries, the T-bone steak is regarded as a cut of the sirloin.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirloin_steak

My entry for Throwdown #36:Sirloin Steak is Sirloin with Pepper Mushroom Gravy

I cubed, seasoned, and browned USDA Choice Petite Sirlion Steak in butter using a cast iron pan over lump charcoal on the Weber Kettle then set aside.

I melted butter in the same cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Added shallots and mushrooms; sautéed 4 minutes. Added garlic; sautéed 30 seconds. Stirred in soy sauce. Sprinkled flour over mushroom mixture; cooked 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually added broth, stirring constantly. Added pepper, salt, and thyme sprigs. Brought to a boil; cooked 2 minutes until thickened. Returned beef to pan; cooked 1 minute until thoroughly heated. Discarded thyme sprigs and served over a bed of egg noodles.

image_zpsjjrwxuob.jpeg

image_zpsfnun4nya.jpeg

image_zpsa5clff56.jpeg

image_zpstfgb6hbt.jpeg

image_zpsxbf1dnc3.jpeg

image_zps9rypxyhk.jpeg

image_zpsaczatpyb.jpeg

image_zpsebij3gyr.jpeg

image_zpsuwimsnk2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sirloins and Pinto Beans

Sirloins and Pinto Beans

I remember back in the 80's and 90's when animal fat was evil the sirloin was the "heathy" steak because it's so lean an also cheap.

I got a couple of very lean sirloins from the super market.

Meanwhile, I cooked up a pot of beans in the crockpot. These cooked for 10 hours.

Seasoned with salt and Uncle Chris's Gourmet Steak Seasoning.

"Extra Fancy"

Fired up the Kettle with KBB. We had a huge rain.

Sizzlin' Sirloins.

Resting.

Plated with Pinto beans.

Sliced steak.

A nice bite. The steak turned out great. I like a good sirloin every now and again, even one as lean as this one. I got the bean recipe from the Legends of Texas BBQ Cookbook by Robb Walsh. Thanks for looking.

OK, what about ti-tip? Doesn't that come from the bottom of the sirloin?

Tri Tip is a cut from the Sirloin Primal.

Wondering about this too. Is tri-tip acceptable for this challenge?

...whether it is acceptable or not is a matter for management to determine.

Glad that's cleared up. I'll be posting the tri-tip I'm cooking tonight in the photo gallery and using the choice sirloins in the freezer for the throwdown.

Clear as mud.

Last edited:
Two great looking cooks Dwain & Dustin.
This is going to be a tough throwdown to win.

Last edited:
Man so fare we have some fantastic cooks and this is going to be one hard comp to pick out the best. So fare I'd say you are all winners.

Rich, is Prescott Valley competing with the Amazon jungle for most rain?

Pretty close, no where as bad as Texas. We are getting rain every afternoon and night and except for two gassers under the covered patio the others are all out in the open. Last three days three inches of rain. Should be clearing a few days this week we hope.

Last edited:
Retro Top Sirloin Updated

When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes do a special dinner for my brother, sister and I on a Sunday evening. She didn't grill it but it still brings back fond memories. That was probably the initial reason I started to cook myself. This meal has been upgraded from her technique to reflect many of the things I have learned on this site.

The Meat

Dry Brined With Kosher Salt For 4 Hours

Meat And Corn On The Grill

Reverse Seared In CI

The Sides On The Grill
Asparagus, Corn On The Cob, Sauteed Mushrooms

Your Plate

Normally when we want steak, we get the USDA Prime ribeye from Costco. Top sirloin was never our favorite, but this steak was some of the best we have had in a very long time. The only difference from the meals my mom made in the day was she always big french roll and made garlic bread. Docs don't want us eating that but this meal was wonderful without it. We will have top sirloin again.

Thanks for stopping by.

Great looking sirloins there Bob. Beautiful marbling, perfect colour on the cook.

This throwdown has ramped up a notch or three since I first posted.

Thanks Tony. My guess is that YOU are the man to beat. Besides, this is the first time I have entered.

Tri Tip is a cut from the Sirloin Primal...whether it is acceptable or not is a matter for management to determine.

My thinking is that tri-tip does not qualify for this throwdown because it's a small roast that is typically cooked whole and sliced to serve, not cut into steaks and grilled.

Just curious... Are not Chris Arnold's and TonyUK's steaks both the same strip loin cut? They both look like, what we call, NY strips.

Just curious... Are not Chris Arnold's and TonyUK's steaks both the same strip loin cut? They both look like, what we call, NY strips.
I would say you're right, Tony's steaks look like what we call a NY strip steak cut from the loin, not a steak cut from what we call the sirloin.

Because of the confusion over the definition of "sirloin" in different countries, I'd like to suggest that all entries submitted so far are OK for the throwdown.

Moving forward, entries should consist of any steak from what is known in the U.S. as the sirloin section, indicated in the diagram below as "Sirloin 9%".

As for tri-tip, that's a roast...unless you cut it into thin steaks before cooking, in which case those steaks qualify for the throwdown.

Clear as mud? :smilekettle:

beefchart_zpsqe5vjpto.jpg

Here's my official non-entry...I call it "Steak On The Plate" in honor of a menu item served at San Rafael Joe's in San Rafael, CA. I had Steak On The Plate 34 years ago, and if I remember correctly it was simply a steak with choice of potato on a plate. No veg, no garnish.

I was inspired by Bob Ivey's USDA Prime Top Sirloin steaks from Costco...mine are shaped a little differently than his.

IMG_7285_zps4pqfwkus.jpg

Fired-up the Summit Charcoal Grill using Kingsford Professional Charcoal. Turned the temp up to 11. I really have no idea how hot the grill is at this point...the dial seems to be pegged.

IMG_7286_zpspicwuqxe.jpg

Rippin' hot Gourmet BBQ System sear grate.

IMG_7287_zpskopwsn1k.jpg

Two top sirloin steaks...one with S&P, one marinated with teriyaki. (Those are salad plates, not dinner plates.)

IMG_7288_zpsw0lz9v7d.jpg

First side down for about 1 minute.

IMG_7290_zpsdrtxfoue.jpg

Second side down for about 1 minute.

IMG_7291_zpsvejwxnol.jpg

Moved steaks to perimeter, turning and rotating several times, until internal temp reaches 125*F.

IMG_7294_zps5l5smvwk.jpg

Your S&P "Steak On The Plate". You did want a pat of butter on top of your steak, right?

IMG_7295_zpsrrfaoxde.jpg

Interior view of the teriyaki marinated steak, done just the way I like it. We don't need no stinkin' reverse sear. :)

Best,
Chris

Back