The great bark debate

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Hello everyone! I am in a BBQ group on FB. The other day someone posted a pic of their smoked shoulder and it was black. A bunch of guys were giving him grief about how he had burned it. I stuck up for the poor guy because every time I make pork shoulder, it looks the same way. It is nice and black on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. It seems the guys that were giving him a hard time are the guys that wrap their shoulders when the temp hits 150. Everybody does things differently, so I don't get why these guys were giving him such a hard time. I cannot believe how cruel people can be over something like that. They didn't seem to understand that it is bark and not burnt. My question is, do different parts of the U.S. make BBQ pulled pork differently? I would think the only reason you wouldn't want that black bark is if it wasn't going to be used for pulled pork. I am just curious. Thanks everyone!!!

Chuck

Chuck,sometimes my bark is very dark,almost black. Other times it's more dark mahogany brown. IIRC,the darker bark had more sugar in the rub. Either way,it comes out absolutely delicious!

>>>Everybody does things differently, so I don't get why these guys were giving him such a hard time. I cannot believe how cruel people can be over something like that.<<<

People can be more cruel on the internet rather than face to face as there are few consequences for their actions. Try some of those things "up close and personal" and it can get you a punch in the nose.

Also, a lot of bad manners on the internet springs from ignorance...

FWIW
Dale53

There's a fine line between "really dark" and burnt. I haven't seen the pictures, so I can't make a comment on what the guy cooked...more than likely I wouldn't comment from a pciture either, unless it was obviously a cinder....and even then I would likely just keep my thoughts to myself. Phil is on track wth my take. The times that my bark has been darker than I wanted it (which is pretty darn dark), I've used a rub with a high sugar content. I'm not a wrapper. Every time I have tried it the bark went from lightly crunchy to soggy...then it is just the same texture as the rest of the shoulder.

Sometimes black is burnt (as mentioned, usually the sugar in the rub) and I do not like it. Also, it does seem like pictures always make the butt look darker than it is. As with most, if not all things in BBQ, there is a lot of personal variation. I wouldn't pay any attention to unconstructive criticism on the internet. Fortunately, this forum is one of the most positive forums I've ever visited so I've never had to experience that which you've described. All I know is that since I've got my WSM and used the information from this site, my family loves it when I'm doing a cook. Never heard anyone complain about the bark. If they didn't like it, they know how to pick it out. We have a dog that would never turn it down. So everyone's happy.

If that's the way the guy, his family and friends like it then good for him. If it tastes burnt then he may want to make some changes. He's the only one to know. Regardless: there are many ways to skin a cat.

Way back in 1997, I took a Paul Kirk barbecue class. In those days, he would say that your brisket and pork butt would come out of the smoker "looking like a meteorite", black as could be, but not with a burned flavor. As time has progressed, the tendency with competition barbecue is to wrap meat once you've achieved a nice color and then finish cooking to tenderness--they don't want something that looks burned. I think a lot of competition techniques and tendencies have trickled down into backyard cooking, so that influences what people say on forums and FB pages.

I've cooked a lot of unwrapped butts that looked burned but were not and tasted great! Also, given that I've taken thousands of photos for The Virtual Weber Bullet, I can testify to what Jerry N says...photos of barbecue often come out looking more black that they really are due to lighting conditions and automatic camera settings.

I love my black meteor BB. I agree, black is not burnt and it doesn't taste burnt. For sure, black means super hard, thick crust. This could be a problem when pulled because pieces come bigger then I want and not enough for all!!

I don't have much to add other than I've tried a lot of different rubs, mustard & no, but the one time I forgot the rub I think the bark actually came out the best. "Meteorite" is a term of endearment, and it refers to a good piece of meat! ....I don't see it used often anymore though.

Before I really got into smoking, I've always had pulled pork at chain restaurants and always thought it was pretty bland or soaked in barbecue sauce. That is until I smoked my own butt. I've read about how you want a "bark" and even seen pictures. But I was always hesitant to believe that something so burnt looking could taste any good. But then when I did my own, I saw hard hard and black it looked and thought I ruined it. But one taste and I was literally SHOCKED at how delicious it was. After that, I can say that I will never order pulled pork from any restaurant ever again. I've even tried at a few well known, popular BBQ joints in my area and it never came close to what I was able to make at home with a really nice bark.

I'm going to echo what Jon in SF has said. The first time I did a butt I thought it was not fit for human consumption. But all was not lost. I could use it as fuel for my next cook! :rolleyes:

I couldn't have been more wrong. I have never, yet, tasted better pulled pork. And the reason for that is TVWBB. I have been to quite a few BBQ joints, (US & UK), and to be honest, I think mine tastes better. I never drench a tasty PP in sauce. Have a wee dish on the side for dipping. But that's just how I like it.

Sorry, thread-drifting.........again! :p

Crispy meteorite bark is good. Soggy golden bark is not! (Again...just my preference).

Being cruel to someone over the internet is cowardly. Manners maketh man, & cost nothing.

Last edited:
What Tony and others have said is true, most restaurants pulled pork is soggy with sauce. Probably hiding the quality of their product or that is what the public expects. Have been to a few good ones but they are very rare. Prefer to make my own with a good vinegar based red sauce. That said, people can be cruel. There is a way to say things and a way not to. As has been said, the internet can breed a lack of civility that I don't want to tolerate. That's why this site it my go to forum for all things BBQ. To quote the late Rodney King, "why can't we all just get along". Just my twenty cents (adjusted for inflation).

Edit: To bring it back around, your bark is and should be the way you like it. Don't let anybody else tell you how it should be if you and yours are happy with your results. As for different techniques in different parts of the country, I don't know about that, but I do know that this is the place that taught me how to smoke meat and I LOVE the results. Doesn't matter where you are, just that you like what you produce.

One other point, this sites policy of real names goes a long way to making for a more civil and nice site. Thanks Chris for your hard work to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Like the darker bark mixed in with the meat for added flavor. A fried turkey comes out black with certain seasonings but it's certainly not burnt. Just really flavorful.

I never understood why people get so upset over this nonsense like this, especially boiled ribs. My mode of thinking is as long as the person is happy with their results then great for them, I'm not the one eating it. Even if the results aren't what we expect, there is a learning curve and it doesn't come out perfect every time.

I know brisket is literally a different beast but my bark always comes out black, I use no sugar and there is absolutely no burnt taste. I do use a lot of sugar in my butt rub and I typically get the same result. I also cook at lower Temps where you aren't likely to burn your sugar.

At most this is a presentation issue. People even around here will see the black and think it's burnt or overcooked.
I don't particularly like a lot of charred taste myself even when I grill. A hint is great. I think something can be over seared for instance and not be burnt. This is not what's happening with bark.

I'm with John. If you're not the one eating it,just say it looks good enough to eat and go on to the next topic!

I consider my butts to be like geodes: ugly on the outside but so beautiful on the inside!

Hello everyone! I am in a BBQ group on FB. The other day someone posted a pic of their smoked shoulder and it was black. A bunch of guys were giving him grief about how he had burned it. I stuck up for the poor guy because every time I make pork shoulder, it looks the same way. It is nice and black on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. It seems the guys that were giving him a hard time are the guys that wrap their shoulders when the temp hits 150. Everybody does things differently, so I don't get why these guys were giving him such a hard time. I cannot believe how cruel people can be over something like that. They didn't seem to understand that it is bark and not burnt. My question is, do different parts of the U.S. make BBQ pulled pork differently? I would think the only reason you wouldn't want that black bark is if it wasn't going to be used for pulled pork. I am just curious. Thanks everyone!!!
Chuck

BBQ is very different across Texas, and St. Louis ribs didn't get that moniker by originating in Rhode Island (does RI even have BBQ?)....all BBQ (not just pulled pork) from around the country is different.
The internet allows instant collaboration on almost any subject, it also allows instant criticism on any subject (or person) with plenty of people taking great delight in dishing it out.
Best to have thick skin when participating in any public collaboration and particularly when participating in an annomious format.

They say we "eat with our eye's" and black normally looks burnt to most I guess. I've done hundreds of butts and have never had that "meteor" look and I do most HH.
Butt who am I ( or anyone ) to say that's ugly looking, because I stand by my Sig:wsm:

Tim

I mostly get that meteor look when I don't wrap at all. The camera probably does make it look darker than it really is. High Heat might mean less exposure to the smokers fumes and smoke.

Back